[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13714 posts
3949 upvotes
Montreal
XFactor11 wrote:
May 10th, 2019 9:57 am
There's an ad on the first screen on all versions of the game. Nothing to get worked up over.
And on the menus.

Have you even played these games lately? :facepalm:
FourDollarama Shut Down My RFD Customer Experience Thread!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7404 posts
2100 upvotes
Do you even own the game on other platforms like you claim to?
The same front page ad is on all of them but the pop-up notification does not appear after the first load up after the patch.

I own all the Borderlands games on PS4 and PC.

Once again it is nothing a normal person would get worked up over. Especially if you like the games.
I personally already pre-ordered BL3 and do not find the ads obstructive since I realize companies spend money on marketing and such
which is a common sense business practice if you have an upcoming product coming out and want to reach an audience, either casual players
that have no idea a sequel is coming or hardcore enthusiasts.

JackWhyte wrote:
May 10th, 2019 10:05 am
And on the menus.

Have you even played these games lately? :facepalm:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13714 posts
3949 upvotes
Montreal
XFactor11 wrote:
May 10th, 2019 10:08 am
Do you even own the game on other platforms like you claim to?
Yes, but obviously you don't, or haven't played it post-update and are just blowing steam.

When you first load the game, there are 3 primary instances of the obtrusive ads:

1) A FULL-PAGE BL3 advertisement that you must click through (it used to come up each boot (probably a bug), but not anymore)
2) A top-mounted BL3 ad on the first screen where you choose the game type, settings, etc.
3) A top-mounted BL3 ad on the character selection menu.

Granted, I have not played the game since the weekend, and there might have been updates getting rid of one of them, but at launch there 3 ads to click through, and then afterwards there are at least 2 in-game ads forced on you. And those last 2 are there each and every time you load the game.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13714 posts
3949 upvotes
Montreal
XFactor11 wrote:
May 10th, 2019 10:08 am
I realize companies spend money on marketing and such which is a common sense business practice if you have an upcoming product coming out and want to reach an audience,
So did you get an ad check for them retroactively posting obtrusive in-game ads into your paid + retail game?

These aren't freemium games you know (though with what that scammer-pervert Pitchford is accused of, I'm hardly surprised at their hubris), and I paid for more copies of Borderlands on various platforms than you have fingers.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7404 posts
2100 upvotes
You would have noticed the ads on all versions of the game if you actually did.
Seems like someone is a bitter pathological liar as usual.

Most games these days have additional ads in the menus for whatever DLC content they have in the menus.

JackWhyte wrote:
May 10th, 2019 10:15 am
So did you get an ad check for them retroactively posting obtrusive in-game ads into your paid + retail game?

These aren't freemium games you know (though with what that scammer-pervert Pitchford is accused of, I'm hardly surprised at their hubris), and I paid for more copies of Borderlands on various platforms than you have fingers.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13714 posts
3949 upvotes
Montreal
Since you obviously haven't had your coffee yet, I'll point this childish insult to the proper recipient that I quoted.
XFactor11 wrote:
May 10th, 2019 10:17 am
You would have noticed the ads on all versions of the game if you actually did. Seems like someone is a bitter pathological liar as usual.
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2019 10:43 am
I just started BL2 again on the PC.

I didn’t purchase this as part of the handsome collection so I haven’t noticed any ads (if there were I haven’t paid attention).
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7404 posts
2100 upvotes
Here I actually bothered to download and install all versions of the Borderlands games on Steam and check this.
I have not went back to play the PC versions in years since there are many better games that came out recently to play than these games.
If you don't want ads for Borderlands 3 in any of the menus then play only PC Steam versions.
Since Borderlands 3 is exclusive to EPIC Game Store on PC, the Steam version does not have any Borderlands 3 advertisements at all.

JackWhyte wrote:
May 10th, 2019 10:20 am
Since you obviously haven't had your coffee yet, I'll point this childish insult to the proper recipient that I quoted.
I own Borderlands 2 VR on PS4, and all the released games on PS4/PS3/PC.
The series has bad writing and redundant gameplay compared to most AAA games but I play online and local co-op with it.
I even bought a couple of the out of print USA version of Borderlands 1 GOTY edition on PS4 for collection purposes.

Last edited by XFactor11 on May 10th, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13714 posts
3949 upvotes
Montreal
XFactor11 wrote:
May 10th, 2019 11:39 am
I even bought a couple of the out of print USA version of Borderlands 1 GOTY edition on PS4 for collection purposes.
Due to my love for the first game (which the idiotic sequels have almost killed), I have every standard NA release of Borderlands games sealed (including the various GH/PH versions) ever released for Xbox 360/PS3/PS4/Xbox One (and many times multiple copies due to Source 96-cent sales - I think I have 20+ BL2 copies), and a couple of opened CE's that I played.

But I think that ends with BL3, both due to Pedo-Perve Pitchford and the excessive AD-SPAM I've had to deal with on consoles.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13714 posts
3949 upvotes
Montreal
LOL, I guess the ad-devs decided to twist the knife a bit more and added Borderlands the Handsome Collection as a freebie on PS Plus to really spread the word about BL3. :lol: Face With Tears Of Joy

Now since I dropped $20 on the original Borderlands GOTY Remaster, I fully expect that this adware will also pop up on PS Plus in a month or two.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7404 posts
2100 upvotes
Borderlands 2 just got a new DLC just announced at E3 releasing today:

It is a prequel for Borderlands 3

JackWhyte wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 8:11 pm
LOL, I guess the ad-devs decided to twist the knife a bit more and added Borderlands the Handsome Collection as a freebie on PS Plus to really spread the word about BL3. :lol: Face With Tears Of Joy

Now since I dropped $20 on the original Borderlands GOTY Remaster, I fully expect that this adware will also pop up on PS Plus in a month or two.