Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Kobo eBooks

Borders.com KOBO eReader $60USD

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2011 11:49 am
Tags:
None
Aug 25, 2010
658 posts
227 upvotes

[Kobo eBooks] Borders.com KOBO eReader $60USD

Borders.com has the Kobo eReader for $60 "while supplies last". Original price is $149.99 so this should be pretty hot.

Shipping in the states is free but only about $6 for 5-10 business day shipping to Canada. It'll probably get hit up for brokerage/duties, not sure how much that will be, but as I understand it, should be around the same as HST/GST.

EDIT:
The specs listed on the page are those of the 1st gen Kobo, but the UPC listed (817866000101) is for the second gen.

http://www.borders.com/online/store/Tit ... 7866000101
via http://www.techbargains.ca/news_displayItem.cfm/257583
22 replies
Aug 25, 2010
658 posts
227 upvotes
Winnopeg wrote: If you don't mind it being refurbished, you can can them for $69 CDN from Future Shop and skip the shipping/duty.

Black: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... ec04e2en02
White: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 35bb65en02

As far as I can tell the one on borders.com I'm pretty sure is the N647 which has 16 shades of grey, WiFi and SDHC support. The Refurbs on FS ar ethe 416 which are 8 greys, bluetooth and SD.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Also $70 at Best Buy (online and in-store). All refurb first-gen model I think (no WiFi, slower processor).
2nd-gen WiFi model selling for $110 in Canada, $100 in USA.
3rd-gen Touch model due out within days at $140 in Canada, $130 in USA.

What's up with the constant $10 price premium for buying a Kobo in Canada when our $ is worth more??
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11955 posts
3699 upvotes
Kingston
toxikwaste wrote: Borders.com has the Kobo eReader for $60 "while supplies last". Original price is $149.99 so this should be pretty hot.

Shipping in the states is free but only about $6 for 5-10 business day shipping to Canada. It'll probably get hit up for brokerage/duties, not sure how much that will be, but as I understand it, should be around the same as HST/GST.
I had a previous thread on the Kobo for $100 from Borders.com. Lots of people ordered them and although shipping was a little on the slow side, no one had to pay duties or brokerage. I think some paid tax but most didn't.

kobo-ereader-wifi-version-now-100-cheap ... s-1001986/
Banned
Nov 4, 2010
2011 posts
208 upvotes
Montreal
JamesA1 wrote: What's up with the constant $10 price premium for buying a Kobo in Canada when our $ is worth more??
Americans think we are suckers.
Sep 11, 2004
446 posts
180 upvotes
toxikwaste wrote: As far as I can tell the one on borders.com I'm pretty sure is the N647 which has 16 shades of grey, WiFi and SDHC support. The Refurbs on FS ar ethe 416 which are 8 greys, bluetooth and SD.

Borders "Tech Specs"

Screen: 6" E Ink with 8 levels of grayscale
Memory: 1GB built in, expansion slot for up to 4GB SD Card
Supported eBook types: ePub, PDF (Adobe DRM or non-DRM), and TXT
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
1672 posts
231 upvotes
Bob123456 wrote: Borders "Tech Specs"

Oh Crap! I only have one 8GB card. Has anyone tried 8GB if they work?
Aug 25, 2010
658 posts
227 upvotes
Bob123456 wrote: Borders "Tech Specs"

Weird. The UPC they listed is for the N647 (2nd gen).

Anyone else notice that the model numbers for the first and second gen are the toronto area codes? :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5924 posts
7346 upvotes
is kobo 1st gen really bad? Is 8 gray scale completely unreadable for the light reader (1hr/day) indoors near a lamp. I just want a cheap but usable/enjoyable reader, don't care for automatic newspaper delivery and fancy 3g.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5924 posts
7346 upvotes
Does best buy have the refurbished ones in store so I can look at them. The website says its online only

Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1785 upvotes
Montreal
fatestkid wrote: is kobo 1st gen really bad? Is 8 gray scale completely unreadable for the light reader (1hr/day) indoors near a lamp. I just want a cheap but usable/enjoyable reader, don't care for automatic newspaper delivery and fancy 3g.

I have both and I guess I prefer the 2nd generation because I find the 1st gen is a bit slower. There probably is a screen quality difference between 8 gray scale and 16 but except for maybe book covers, I don't really notice.

I bought my first gen as a refurb from BB for $69 plus tax and the 2nd gen from Borders for $100 plus $5.99 shipping and no tax. The Borders unit took 2 weeks to arrive.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5924 posts
7346 upvotes
Phils wrote: I have both and I guess I prefer the 2nd generation because I find the 1st gen is a bit slower. There probably is a screen quality difference between 8 gray scale and 16 but except for maybe book covers, I don't really notice.

I bought my first gen as a refurb from BB for $69 plus tax and the 2nd gen from Borders for $100 plus $5.99 shipping and no tax. The Borders unit took 2 weeks to arrive.

Thanks

Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
fatestkid wrote: Does best buy have the refurbished ones in store so I can look at them. The website says its online only

My local Best Buy has some in stock (Vancouver), but they don't put a demo unit out on the shelf where you can compare it to the Wifi 2nd gen. I've had both, and I didn't notice much difference in the screen. 2nd gen is noticeably faster when you compare, but not so much that you would really be aware of it while reading. WiFi feature is useless unless you don't have a computer.
Mar 5, 2009
381 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto
I have the 1st generation and use it but wouldn't recommend it with better alternatives around. The text is fairly low contrast, slow page turns, slow generally. You are looking at basically a gray page. Need a good bit of light to enjoy it. It would need to be mucho cheap if you are thinking of it, IMHO.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5924 posts
7346 upvotes
Carpathian wrote: I have the 1st generation and use it but wouldn't recommend it with better alternatives around. The text is fairly low contrast, slow page turns, slow generally. You are looking at basically a gray page. Need a good bit of light to enjoy it. It would need to be mucho cheap if you are thinking of it, IMHO.

Well its $80 taxes in from bestbuy and that's the cheapest ereader i've seen. I picked it up today, gonna use it for a few days and see.

Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
JamesA1 wrote: when our $ is worth more??

Especially when Kobo is a Canadian company.
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
The new Kobo Touch arrived in our local Chapters store earlier today. Any colour you want as long as it's black. They haven't bothered to put any out on display yet, but they let me open one up and try it. I like it. Compared side-by-side with the 2nd gen version, the screen contrast is a little better, and the performance is a little snappier. It's smaller in both length and width. The touch screen is very natural to use, and it seems reasonably responsive. They haven't put the 100 free books on it though, so the only sample books are short guides to the Kobo, which may make the load times seem shorter.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
JamesA1 wrote: which may make the load times seem shorter.

Speaking of load times, does anyone know what class Micro SDHC the Kobo original uses?
/threadjack
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)