Expired Hot Deals

Bosch Bulldog Extreme 1-inch SDS-Plus Rotary Hammer - Lowe's Price Match w/ Home Depot $169

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2019 10:10 am
[OP]
Nov 20, 2017
88 posts
60 upvotes

Bosch Bulldog Extreme 1-inch SDS-Plus Rotary Hammer - Lowe's Price Match w/ Home Depot $169

Deal Link:
Price:
Home Depot has it for $188 and Lowe's has it for $299.

I just picked one up for $169 plus tax. I couldn't convince them to give me the save the tax or contractor rewards but they beat the price by 10%. It worked out to around $190 after tax.

This version is made in Mexico. The Bull Dog Extreme Max is another model which is more expensive. That particular model is made in Germany.

Both have good reviews and I've been looking for a nice rotary hammer drill for concrete/tile jobs.

Not overly hot but close to 50% of what Lowe's had it listed for. The only time I saw Bosch rotary drills this cheap was when Rona was clearing out its Bosch lineup.
Images
  • Screenshot_20190521-213633.png
20 replies
[OP]
Nov 20, 2017
88 posts
60 upvotes
Someone might get lucky and get the extra promotional discount but YMMV. I've managed to get a few price matched items with promotional discounts in the past. Not sure if they've locked this in their system now but before it was possible
Dec 12, 2018
32 posts
51 upvotes
Good DIY versatile unit for drilling concrete and light duty chipping (great for removing tiles). Had mine for 6-7 years now and has seen lots of use. I have probably pushed the limits of what it should be used for to chip up some small areas of concrete where a larger sds-Max should have been used.

Interestingly, I recently notice some metal fragments falling out of the chuck, almost like a part of the collet had broken. I figured it was way past warranty but I’d call Bosch to see if I could get a cheap past to fix it. Bosch said to take it to service Center and they would fix it under warranty (6 years after purchase). Now it is fixed and like new again with no cost to me. I can’t recommend Bosch enough if they stand behind their product like this! At $169, it’s money well spent.
[OP]
Nov 20, 2017
88 posts
60 upvotes
Kmax1980 wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 11:36 am
Good DIY versatile unit for drilling concrete and light duty chipping (great for removing tiles). Had mine for 6-7 years now and has seen lots of use. I have probably pushed the limits of what it should be used for to chip up some small areas of concrete where a larger sds-Max should have been used.

Interestingly, I recently notice some metal fragments falling out of the chuck, almost like a part of the collet had broken. I figured it was way past warranty but I’d call Bosch to see if I could get a cheap past to fix it. Bosch said to take it to service Center and they would fix it under warranty (6 years after purchase). Now it is fixed and like new again with no cost to me. I can’t recommend Bosch enough if they stand behind their product like this! At $169, it’s money well spent.

Appreciate the feedback Kmax. I've seen a few videos of people using it as a concrete jack hammer for knocking out basement floors. I don't think I'll use it for that (mainly tile chipping).

I did a search for used SDS drills and people still want 150+ for this tool so I don't think anyone will be further ahead buying used when it's the same price almost new. Plus for the reasons you mentioned I wouldn't buy a used one after such heavy use.

Every brand has its good models and lemons which is why I don't have that much brand loyalty. If a high number of people have good things to say about a tool then I usually don't think twice.
Nice to hear that Bosch stood behind the warranty
Dec 12, 2018
32 posts
51 upvotes
Jordanferras wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 3:38 pm
Nice to hear that Bosch stood behind the warranty
To be clear the warranty is 1 year and they gave me warranty service after 6 years. They had every right to tell me I had to pay to fix it. Companies that do this and go above and beyond will always get my business and recommendation. It was going way beyond customer expectations.
Oct 3, 2005
223 posts
55 upvotes
Edmonton
Jordanferras wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 3:38 pm
I've seen a few videos of people using it as a concrete jack hammer for knocking out basement floors. I don't think I'll use it for that (mainly tile chipping).
I have a similar model of Bosch SDS Plus, and used it for chipping up tile from concrete substrate throughout a condo. Worked great with the 3" wide (or something like that) chisel bit. Have used it for other tasks since, it's been a total workhorse. Great to have a proper hammer drill for any time you have to anchor things in concrete, versus kind of getting by with your regular drill and a crappy masonry bit. I don't think you'd get very far using it on basement floor concrete unless you took a concrete saw to it first.
[OP]
Nov 20, 2017
88 posts
60 upvotes
MMMM wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 4:53 pm
Great tool, definitely mine has been pushed a little to hard.

If anyone is interested these multi bit Makita sets from amazon.uk are a decent deal
A bunch of the bits are a little long for the tool supposedly, but they all work great.
These are metric.

makita d-1191 26£
makita d-21200
20£

shipping and handling was 8£

Link to the thread from 2017 the Makita bits
Ordered the second set. Thanks for mentioning this.. I was looking for a small set and the d-21200 has everything I need.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2003
4903 posts
1933 upvotes
A Place to Stand
Kmax1980 wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 11:36 am

Just looking at this on my phone so I can't do much research, but would this drill through granite the odd time if needed? I don't mean countertops, I mean the Canadian Shield. Your thoughts?
Dec 12, 2018
32 posts
51 upvotes
Drilling into granite rock is quite subjective. Can you poke some 1/4” 8” deep holes into granite? Easily... 1/2” probably even. 3/4-1” which is the drills listed capacity would be pushing it. If you’re looking to drill 1” x 12” holes down into granite this is undersized for sure.

Also bear in mind good quality sdsplus bits arent cheap. Some of the bigger bits this still can handle are $40-50+
midget_man wrote:
May 29th, 2019 6:38 pm
Just looking at this on my phone so I can't do much research, but would this drill through granite the odd time if needed? I don't mean countertops, I mean the Canadian Shield. Your thoughts?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
6478 posts
1151 upvotes
Mont-Royal
a hammer drill can do the same job..
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2003
1655 posts
155 upvotes
Winnipeg
L4cky wrote:
May 29th, 2019 6:52 pm
Depending on what you're doing it can.
Holes aren't always as nice and larger holes will be an issue. Hammer drill can't hammer only for chiseling.

Rotary hammer will be faster, has more power, and uses pistons to hammer vs discs with ridges.

Most people will probably be fine with a hammer drill.
Jul 27, 2006
894 posts
491 upvotes
Moncton
L4cky wrote:
May 29th, 2019 6:52 pm
No it can't. A rotary hammer has a hammer only mode that functions like a small jackhammer which allows you to use chisel bits for jobs like tile removal.