None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9431 posts
2787 upvotes
Ottawa

Bosch dishwasher odor problem (w/pics)

Folks, we had some appliance installers install a Bosch dishwasher in our new place and there is a pretty strong odor whenever we open the dishwasher, particularly if the dishes have been staying there for a few days.

We normally run the dishwasher once a week and sometimes twice a week. We use Cascade Dishwasher Detergent.

I removed the filter today and there was no food particle inside. I did see some residual water at the bottom of the dishwasher (pic #1). Would that be the cause for the odor and if so, how do we remove it and make sure it doesn't happen again in the future? The install looked pretty clean to me (pic #2). Who should we contact to resolve this issue? Bosch or Lakeside?

The dishwasher model is SHE3ARL5UC. I did some Googling and it seems this is a pretty common problem. Should we run the dishwasher more often?

Do you have a Bosch dishwasher and do you experience this problem? If so, how did you fix it? The dishes are clean and the dishwasher is super quiet so I really like it, except for this odor.

Thanks.

Please contact for $-saving tips prior to purchasing Mattamy/Monarch homes in Ottawa.
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6026 posts
968 upvotes
Mississauga
We run our dishwasher once or twice per day and the only time we get an odor is when the filter needs to be cleaned which is four times per year since we don't pre rinse our dishes before placing them in the dishwasher and food does eventually accumulate. Every so often we run and empty load with vinegar.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see a p-trap in the drain under the sink plumbing.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9431 posts
2787 upvotes
Ottawa
Maymybonneliveforever wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2012 3:25 pm
We run our dishwasher once or twice per day and the only time we get an odor is when the filter needs to be cleaned which is four times per year since we don't pre rinse our dishes before placing them in the dishwasher and food does eventually accumulate. Every so often we run and empty load with vinegar.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see a p-trap in the drain under the sink plumbing.
I wouldn't know what that is, to tell you the truth, May. Is that something mandatory that the installers might have missed or is that something optional that does not need to be present for this particular Bosch model?

We had a run-of-the-mill Brava dishwasher in our previous home and also only ran it once a week (or even less frequent) and we never had this kind of odour.
Please contact for $-saving tips prior to purchasing Mattamy/Monarch homes in Ottawa.
Aug 22, 2003
15539 posts
960 upvotes
Niagara Falls
This is a p trap (the white part) and your sinks don't have one.

Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9431 posts
2787 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks CSK: I will call the appliance installers on Monday and see what they have to say.

If this is something that the builder should have put in for us then I will raise it with the office. We are still well within the 1-year warranty period.
May 6, 2010
461 posts
21 upvotes
Maymybonneliveforever wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2012 3:25 pm

+1, there's no p-trap.
However, you can make temporary one by bending dishwasher drain hose.
May 3, 2007
113 posts
2 upvotes
If the home is fairly new your p-trap is likely located in the basement ceiling. If you have access (unfinished basement) replace it with a clean out. It is 50c more but allows you to fix clogs without calling a plumber. Your odor is most likely coming from an area inside the dishwasher that is not completely drying. Mold has built up and now smells. I could be inside the racks or under the propeller sprayer head. Lastly you may want to pull out the dishwasher and inspect its discharge and water connection for any leaks. also check inside the batting surrounding the unit for any moist areas immediately after running. Good luck.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25442 posts
2675 upvotes
Ottawa
canabiz wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2012 3:55 pm
Thanks CSK: I will call the appliance installers on Monday and see what they have to say.

If this is something that the builder should have put in for us then I will raise it with the office. We are still well within the 1-year warranty period.
We have a Bosch dishwasher as well and like you, we use it quite infrequently. We also have an odour if it is unused for 4 or 5 days. I was told to put a loop in the dishwasher drain hose to act as a "P" trap. I did that and it lessened the odour. I really think it is a matter of not being used a lot. There are only 2 of us and we eat out often and it takes up to a week to fill up the dishwasher.
Like bizzmanager said, the sink P trap in your house is probably in the basement otherwise you would have smelled sewer gasses coming from the sink.
"some people's idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage.” Winston Churchill
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2016 posts
65 upvotes
Niagara area
We have a bosch and wash dishes daily or every other day. Never smelled anything yet.

Your Bosch probably has a quick wash cycle like ours that takes about 38 minutes. Just run it more often.

We also prop open the door when the cycle is finished and that hastens drying. Most of the new Boschs don't have a drying cycle so if you don't open and empty the unit is wet for a long time promoting mold growth
Jan 11, 2007
340 posts
19 upvotes
GTA
I had that funky odour with our Bosch dishwasher initially even when the dishwasher sat clean for a few days. After several months it was gone. I didn't change anything. The discharge hose on mine comes out at the top of the cabinet (not at the bottom like yours and I don't know if that even matters), drops down toward the bottom of the cabinet, but does not rest along the bottom, then goes up into the sink drain pipe (like a tall narrow "U") My drain pipes look similar to yours but my dishwasher is on the left side. The discharge hose on mine appears to be much shorter than yours although I don't know if there is more hose over in the dishwasher side of the cabinet. What was causing the funky odour is still a mystery but it is gone now without me changing anything with the setup.

I also run the dishwasher one or twice a week and always rinse food off the plates well before loading if I won't be running the dishwasher the same day. This really helps to control bad odours from dirty dishes sitting in the dishwasher.
× < >