Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 15, 2006
219 posts
18 upvotes
Gravenhurst

BOSE wave vs. Cambridge Soundworks

Anyone have any first hand experience with these? We're looking for a compact radio/cd player for our new house, and wondering which has better sound. I've read some reviews online, but I'm looking for some RFD feedback...
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2004
6719 posts
57 upvotes
Honestly I have never tried either of these, but having listened to other [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=64]Bose[/rfdlink] speakers and Cambridge speakers for a while, I would have to say I am biased in favor of Cambridge. While the quality from Cambridge isn't as good, anything I've ever heard from [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=64]bose[/rfdlink] has alot of highs, some lows, and no mids at all. Cambridge has a more full and balanced sound imho.
Innovatively Silent. :cool:
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1098 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
My Cambridge Soundworks PC speakers have a nice balanced sound to them. I hate the way [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=64]Bose[/rfdlink] sounds because their sound is very coloured.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2536 posts
77 upvotes
Ive heard [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=64]bose[/rfdlink] is overrated and overpriced.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31098 posts
5861 upvotes
Ottawa
I have not heard the Cambridge (I am assuming you are talking about the radio/CD player) but I have a close freind who bought the [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=64]Bose[/rfdlink] Wave system. I The sound is very very impressive, it does sound like it is a bigger system and has all the rich tones and sounds regardless whether we are playing classical music or pop. It is very dependant where you place it though. He put it on a shelf that has curtains behind it and it sounded quiet.It has to have a hard reflective surface behind it. It has to have a hard reflective surface behind it to get all the sound. It cannot be in a corner because the sound goes away too.
It is very cool but, it is way out there on price. I would never the price he did (over $600). Now the price is down to below $500 but it is still too much in my opinion.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2536 posts
77 upvotes
http://www.firstadopter.com/fa/archives/001749.html

Why [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=64]Bose[/rfdlink] Sucks Review Resources
The following is a list of resources you should read before you let anyone you know buy a [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=64]Bose[/rfdlink] system. You can get far better sound performance for a much lower price if you buy audiophile brands such as Epos, NHT, and even the more well-known B&W. For those in the market for a pair of affordable, high fidelity "audiophile" speakers, I recommend the Usher S-520. I bought a pair recently and I'm very very satisfied. Stereophile also has a good list of audio component reviews for under $1000. If you have questions for other smart early adopters, try our discussion forum.

Smart Money Review - http://www.klipsch.com/media/Newscenter ... 062404.pdf
We turn up the volume on the [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=64]Bose[/rfdlink] Acoustimass 5 Series IIIsystem ($500), which includes two tiny speakers
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31098 posts
5861 upvotes
Ottawa
Holy cow alv077, Proffesor [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=64]Bose[/rfdlink] must have run over your foot (or other bodily appendage) for you to dislike him so much!!
It was a good thing I bought them before you were able to change my mind. My ears, perhaps damaged by years of flying, thought they sounded good,.... it's a good thing I got a chance to read this before spending more money on more of these terrible speakers. (tongue in cheek)
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2536 posts
77 upvotes
Professor [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=64]Bose[/rfdlink] kicked me in a very sensitive area... lets leave it at that.
and it was a quick paste job by me. not like i wrote the article.

As for audio equipment. I love shure.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31098 posts
5861 upvotes
Ottawa
ecet wrote:your [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=64]bose[/rfdlink] speakers sound good? that what you think hahaha....
Yes they do, for the music I play and the movies I watch at the volumes I play them at, they do sound good. I, along with the millions of others who own [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=64]Bose[/rfdlink] seem perfectly satisfied.

Now, having said that, I am sure that there are many many better products out there, Better highs, better lows and better mid-range frequency responses. My hearing prevents me from appreciating the highs and lows so I got what sounded good to me and at a price range that I was able to afford. The beauty of the marketplace is the fact that there is something for everyone. I mean, the hottest seller setup is the "home theatre in a box" product and that cannot be the best (or even an alternative) for an audiophile yet, is outsells many of the "better" speaker systems.
Alv077, my comments were tounge in cheek, no disrespect....I hope you are feeling better ha ha. I did own some Shure products many years ago, they were very good at that time. I did not keep up with development and did not even know they were building speakers and audio systems now. I knew them as microphones, headsets and Phono cartridges.
Anyway, I thought were were commenting on the [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=64]Bose[/rfdlink] Wave radio/CD player?
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11460 posts
2274 upvotes
Ottawa
Pete_Coach wrote:Now, having said that, I am sure that there are many many better products out there
That is true, look at competitors like Boston Acoustics, and Tivoli Audio too. They make good quality table radios that cost a fraction but sound every good or better.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
6714 posts
2119 upvotes
GVR
warpdrive wrote:That is true, look at competitors like Boston Acoustics, and Tivoli Audio too. They make good quality table radios that cost a fraction but sound every good or better.
I agree about the BA. They have some rather impressive products and at very reasonable prices.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2004
3291 posts
123 upvotes
Sherbrooke
You can't compare Cambridge to [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=64]Bose[/rfdlink].

[rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=64]Bose[/rfdlink] are overrated, overpriced and high profit big store speakers.
Go with Cambridge. (Boston Acoustics are also very good)
[OP]
Jul 15, 2006
219 posts
18 upvotes
Gravenhurst
Thanks everyone! You've definitely saved me some cash. Anyone know any retailers (GTA, Barrie, Newmarket, Durham) who carry Cambridge or Boston Acoustics table radios/CD's? Cambridge seems only to be a US presence online...