Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
13507 posts
2242 upvotes

Bots?

I have noticed that some posts in the forum remind me of those spam emails I get all the time: poor English and lacking in content. They don't contain any spam links so I don't think they're harmful if not removed. Maybe they're bots.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/members/ ... ey-566351/
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/members/dwight10-556965/

Go through their post histories and see if you agree.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
198 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9758 posts
4078 upvotes
Ottawa
I noticed the same thing all week. People with really bad grammar bumping up 3 year old threads to write 3-4 words in it. They're aging accounts and bumping up post count to strike eventually.

I was going to report them because it's a waste of time opening a thread to realise it's a 3 year old thread with "me same happen"...but I'm on thin ice these days and din't want to be called racist.

Edit: These look like Indian fiverr gigs to age forum accounts. (i.e. 50 posts for $5)

"So lovely, it is good for young girls, very cheap, price is low but how about the quality."
"it looks lovely, and good for children, i cannot find any discount ..."
"it's great!But i already have one several days ago."
"Pretty price i have seen. waiting for lower discount or better coupon...."

They won't ban these people...it wouldn't be fair to ban someone because what they post is irrelevant babble written in poor english, and when they spam on aged accounts then like I've been told by a mod before: "this is not spam, it's a 2 year old account with 100+ posts".
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14118 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto
At the very least, if someone has a BST offer and someone like this guy/these guys show up in your PM to offer - be very wary. Same thing if they're offering "stuff" to you.

Next thing we know, one of the accounts is going to have a family member/friend/child's birthday/anniversary coming up and they want to get a present and is willing to offer you more than product+ shipping for your time, etc.
Oct 22, 2006
732 posts
471 upvotes
Ontario
I definitely noticed one of the accounts mentioned.

My theory is that there's an ESL class that is assigning homework of posting on forums. If not, perhaps the drive to become a "Deal Guru" is motivation enough for some.

If you check the thanked posts by one of them, you'll see a very strange re-occurring trend.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17884 posts
2573 upvotes
GTA West
Cas77 wrote:
Sep 21st, 2012 6:40 pm
Edit: These look like Indian fiverr gigs to age forum accounts. (i.e. 50 posts for $5)
I've seen that sort of thing on here with some Canadian companies who will build up multiple accounts and then use them to have "conversations" about their own products.

I started PMing them suggestions for improving their products. They never responded... :lol:
Tuition to the School of Life is not tax deductible.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
15196 posts
1136 upvotes
Scarborough
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]i do not accept anyone's argument that poor grammar = bots. for one, bots have good grammar (unless the programmer's grammar sucks). i've built rudimentary speech parsing programs in first year university and i'm not even a computer grad. it was an elective comsci class i took in first year that was the easiest and most fun I ever took.

what bots lack is not grammar, but coherence. but then so do most RFD posts. if it lacks grammar and coherence it's most likely not a bot in my opinion.

if they post in perfect english on the other hand but completely irrelevant, then that is more likely to be a bot.
MOONBOX REPLACEMENT:IPTV Group Buy
May 28, 2012
9902 posts
2075 upvotes
Saskatoon
I reported a post last night - it looked like the poster threw a bunch of words into a hat and drew them out one by one, and used that as their sentence.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4071 posts
926 upvotes
Toronto
I've definitely noticed this. It's not so much bad grammar but a complete lack of human thought. You get a technical discussion about a computer for example, and one of them posts something like "I think this product is good. Therefore you should buy it.". I mean RFD has tons of useless posts on it, but most of them are people thinking that they're funny, or trolling, or have some kind of purpose (even if it's not a good one). These seem like serious posts that deliberately have no useful content in them at all. It's one thing and perfectly understandable if a non-english speaker is trying to make a point and it's difficult to understand them but at least there's a point somewhere in there, but these posts are like a little kid "this is nice" or "I like it".
May 28, 2012
9902 posts
2075 upvotes
Saskatoon
Manatus wrote:
Sep 29th, 2012 8:24 pm
I've definitely noticed this. It's not so much bad grammar but a complete lack of human thought. You get a technical discussion about a computer for example, and one of them posts something like "I think this product is good. Therefore you should buy it.". I mean RFD has tons of useless posts on it, but most of them are people thinking that they're funny, or trolling, or have some kind of purpose (even if it's not a good one). These seem like serious posts that deliberately have no useful content in them at all. It's one thing and perfectly understandable if a non-english speaker is trying to make a point and it's difficult to understand them but at least there's a point somewhere in there, but these posts are like a little kid "this is nice" or "I like it".
I wonder if we can call them out on it, or whether that sort of thing is frowned-upon. I also wonder if they aren't trying to increase their post count to add to their credibility and then spam at a later time.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17884 posts
2573 upvotes
GTA West
Mars2012 wrote:
Sep 29th, 2012 8:39 pm
I wonder if we can call them out on it, or whether that sort of thing is frowned-upon. I also wonder if they aren't trying to increase their post count to add to their credibility and then spam at a later time.
I tried to "call out" one of these accounts and my post was deleted by NSX as *Unnecessary -> Pls note IP check results = negative.*

Of course it's negative, they haven't started spamming yet. It would probably be turned over to a separate owner for spamming anyway.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
967 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Please remember that uncalled for rudeness to newbies is "frowned upon" and is an infraction-able offense....
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17884 posts
2573 upvotes
GTA West
Look at the posting history of this account and make your own conclusions.

Note: Read his posts in an Indian accent for best effect.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
15196 posts
1136 upvotes
Scarborough
is this in offtopic? i've rarely come across these bot posts. i actually would welcome bot posts cuz you can just simply ignore them, over the idiotic posts by some members that just totally boggles your mind as to how someone could be so stupid.
MOONBOX REPLACEMENT:IPTV Group Buy
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9758 posts
4078 upvotes
Ottawa
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Sep 29th, 2012 11:01 pm
I tried to "call out" one of these accounts and my post was deleted by NSX as *Unnecessary -> Pls note IP check results = negative.*
They're not idiots, of course they're running their scams using proxies. You don't program a bot or farm out this type if work without covering your tracks. Thinking they're legit because of unique IP's is absolutely ridiculous. Anyone here can get a few hundred IP's anywhere in Canada for a few bucks a month.
CSK'sMom wrote:
Sep 29th, 2012 11:21 pm
Please remember that uncalled for rudeness to newbies is "frowned upon" and is an infraction-able offense....
Yeah let's treat these new highly contributing members with respect. Then once a few members have been scammed out of their hard earned money by these 'veteran' members in BST or through a fraudulent "Hot" deal post we'll see RFD wiping their hands and saying they are in no way responsible and to read the rules. The writing is on the wall and it's a not only a travesty that RFD does not look out for their own members best interest, let alone defending them and their actions. Wake up!!
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain