• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2019 4:47 pm
Jul 22, 2013
163 posts
57 upvotes
Out'nAbout

Bottom Line - You can't trust Telus Telephone Reps

Hi Gang,

For those of you, like me, who received the Telus rate hike letter, you're probably pretty ticked.
Now before other folks come in here and state that Telus has the legal right to up their rates, let me say that I understand that point.
What has me ticked is that when I switched over to the new plan I made sure to ask and was told by the Telus rep that my plan would not change and that the rate wouldn't go up. I was not told to verify my new plan either by looking into the "terms of service".
Since Friday, I've been escalated twice and they're only offering me the extra $5 deal that you can see on other threads, or they'll knock me back to $50 with less data and voice.
I told Telus that I had been lied to, and if they go back and get the recording they'll see. If my memory was wrong, then I would gladly eat the new price hike.
Lindsey, the latest Telus person to handle my case said they don't keep the recordings.
I should have recorded my conversation ... hindsight is 20/20.
I feel that I have been lied to or, to take a business slant on it, a verbal contract was broken.
So now, I'm finding out that Rogers and Bell are doing the same.
So much for competition with the CRTC in bed with the telco execs.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
3476 posts
3998 upvotes
GTA
This may be a case of you not being informed. The last couple of years it has been all been all over the news, CBC marketplace and elsewhere about how Bell, Rogers and Telus reps are allegedly lying to clients to get business. Unfortunately it is absolutely necessary to read the ‘terms of service’ or written contract when dealing with Telcos.
Jul 23, 2011
255 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
Telus isn’t budging one bit. They’re agents are like robots. Glad I was able to call Fido and get the win back offer I declined back in December. The flagship telcos planned the increase because freedom caught them off guard with the $60/10GB plan back on Boxing Day 2017. Good riddance Telus.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3141 posts
1321 upvotes
Toronto
1) never trust a sales rep
2) did the rep guarantee the rate won't change FOR LIFE?
3) did you really think your rate will stay the same FOR LIFE?
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2005
1488 posts
636 upvotes
Why is this a surprise? it was bound to happen with the big three's, it's the same crap they pull every year. Go with freedom and call it a day.
Jul 22, 2013
163 posts
57 upvotes
Out'nAbout
... Get ready to have bundled internet forced down your throat too!!!

Just make some calls to see where I'm going and since we have internet with Rogers I'd start there first.

Talking to the rep and was told that during this year you will not be able to just buy internet service. You will be forced to buy a TV package with it!!! WTF! We don't even watch TV, it's all streamed.

Yep, roll over Canadians, our CRTC watchdogs are doing their best for us ... ;-)
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
If you're able to, go with a corporate plan. It's night and day how different the service experience is vs their regular reps.

I was with a Telus corporate plan for 5 years and never had a single complaint. I moved over to a regular Koodo plan recently and the rep who took my credit card info and assured me everything was ready to go didn't set up the automatic payments on my account and I didn't notice for nearly 3 months. When I called in to get things resolved and complain about the bad service the reception I got was terrible.
Jun 13, 2015
161 posts
77 upvotes
L'Assomption
NewfieBullet wrote: ... Get ready to have bundled internet forced down your throat too!!!

Just make some calls to see where I'm going and since we have internet with Rogers I'd start there first.

Talking to the rep and was told that during this year you will not be able to just buy internet service. You will be forced to buy a TV package with it!!! WTF! We don't even watch TV, it's all streamed.

Yep, roll over Canadians, our CRTC watchdogs are doing their best for us ... ;-)
Isn’t that illegal, being forced to buy a service you don’t want to access the one you want?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2989 posts
2030 upvotes
Calgary
ak-47 wrote: 1) never trust a sales rep
Also, back when the plan was offered, nobody knew when/if it would go up. While it may have been better for them to say "It may go up in the future but we don't know when" I doubt any sales rep would actually say something like that. This also holds true for ANY INDUSTRY!

I wonder if these same people complained when Netflix decided to raise rates recently.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
NewfieBullet wrote: ... Get ready to have bundled internet forced down your throat too!!!

Bell did that to me. Wants me to bundle TV and internet. If I just took the internet without the TV, the price increased 50%

Getting TV for free and saving 50% is a no brainer.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Big three are an oligopoly and the CRTC protects them. The longer you stay with a carrier, the worse it gets.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
There's many people within Canada that support the major carriers and their actions. It seems to be contagious and it's remarkable how easily people are manipulated and conditioned, even when they have a high IQ.

I was on the phone with Telus' conflict resolutions team for almost 2 hours. They now are using the term "value added pricing" and saying they too are consumers with the intention of you giving in. They've been carefully trained to reiterate canned and scripted responses. They have a rebuttal to anything you may throw at them. Of course, for the most part they're invalid or partial truths. The main one is about how Canada's geography is so big warranting the priices we must pay. Yet, they don't have the stats to disprove the fact that we have less cell towers per capita than other countries especially like Australian where plans cost much less. Even talking to them they contradict themselves and ideally want you to pay more with the perceived attraction of offering you more "value". They continually argue the 70/15 is the best value in the market.

Telus also claimed they no longer can offer plan credits unless it's to do with administrative errors caused by Telus. Telus has completely gone to the dark side. I no longer feel any guilt in obtaining Koodo out of the plans.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1968 posts
1573 upvotes
510 represen'
Pavel wrote: There's many people within Canada that support the major carriers and their actions. It seems to be contagious and it's remarkable how easily people are manipulated and conditioned, even when they have a high IQ.

I was on the phone with Telus' conflict resolutions team for almost 2 hours. They now are using the term "value added pricing" and saying they too are consumers with the intention of you giving in. They've been carefully trained to reiterate canned and scripted responses. They have a rebuttal to anything you may throw at them. Of course, for the most part they're invalid or partial truths. The main one is about how Canada's geography is so big warranting the priices we must pay. Yet, they don't have the stats to disprove the fact that we have less cell towers per capita than other countries especially like Australian where plans cost much less. Even talking to them they contradict themselves and ideally want you to pay more with the perceived attraction of offering you more "value". They continually argue the 70/15 is the best value in the market.

Telus also claimed they no longer can offer plan credits unless it's to do with administrative errors caused by Telus. Telus has completely gone to the dark side. I no longer feel any guilt in obtaining Koodo out of the plans.
Easily refuted.

1. Just tell them that tower situation wise, Australia is in the exact same position, yet their rates are much much better.
2. Ask them how $70/15GB is possibly good value if you never go over 10GB a month.

Of course I'm sure they'll just throw more BS at you, but hey at least gotta make them sweat and earn their keep.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
That's exactly what I did. But they're not allowed to acknowledge any information not provided by Father Telus.

It's too bad CBC Go Public didn't focus on Telus.
Sep 29, 2008
787 posts
666 upvotes
TELUS aren’t the ones to blame.

We need to blame ourselves. Canada is a nation of sheep who will be wronged, and they thank the transgressors for doing so.

Just look on the threads here for how many people are saying they’re angry, but then Telus offered them 5gb extra (that they didn’t need) and now they’re happy and saying “thanks TELUS, great deal” when in fact they are getting screwed.

As for cbc investigating, well just like TELUS et al they’re in bed with the corrupt liberal government. So don’t expect and truth or resolution from them.

Without a significant change to public attitude and a crack down on shady dealings in government allowing back handers to smooth the way to bad business like this then don’t expect any improvement.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1968 posts
1573 upvotes
510 represen'
crunchiespg wrote: TELUS aren’t the ones to blame.

We need to blame ourselves. Canada is a nation of sheep who will be wronged, and they thank the transgressors for doing so.

Just look on the threads here for how many people are saying they’re angry, but then Telus offered them 5gb extra (that they didn’t need) and now they’re happy and saying “thanks TELUS, great deal” when in fact they are getting screwed.

As for cbc investigating, well just like TELUS et al they’re in bed with the corrupt liberal government. So don’t expect and truth or resolution from them.

Without a significant change to public attitude and a crack down on shady dealings in government allowing back handers to smooth the way to bad business like this then don’t expect any improvement.
Well I'm sure they'll find ways to use that extra 5GB somehow (4k Brazzers :rofl::rofl:)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19792 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
ak-47 wrote: 1) never trust a sales rep

Telus is in the bottom for me personally but this is true.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)