Shopping Discussion

Bought Coffee Maker Recently... Broke Coffee Pot. Any Return/Discount Options?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 4:05 pm
[OP]
Jan 26, 2012
162 posts
47 upvotes
BRANTFORD

Bought Coffee Maker Recently... Broke Coffee Pot. Any Return/Discount Options?

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice from my fellow RFD members. I bought a Hamilton Beach Coffee Maker from Walmart 2 weeks ago, used it once recently and washed the coffee pot today. The coffee pot fell off the counter when I placed it out to dry and the glass shattered.

This is a shot in the dark but I wanted to see if anyone had done something similar with a new purchase like this and if there are any options available besides buying a new coffee maker?
17 replies
May 28, 2012
9470 posts
1796 upvotes
Saskatoon
If you paid with a credit card, you might be covered for accidental loss.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
1943 posts
888 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
moss27 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:11 pm
Hi all,

I'm looking for advice from my fellow RFD members. I bought a Hamilton Beach Coffee Maker from Walmart 2 weeks ago, used it once recently and washed the coffee pot today. The coffee pot fell off the counter when I placed it out to dry and the glass shattered.

This is a shot in the dark but I wanted to see if anyone had done something similar with a new purchase like this and if there are any options available besides buying a new coffee maker?
You broke it so you're on your own.

No harm in contacting Wal*Mart (perhaps speak with a manager) and explain the situation - maybe they can swing something for you. This is kinda difficult (read: impossible) to hide, because it would be easy to tell the difference between a heat shatter and a drop-on-the-floor shatter.

I would then contact Hamilton Beach. Maybe they have replacements and - like the above - maybe they'll swing something for you if you're honest with them. Maybe not, of course, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Aug 10, 2017
43 posts
12 upvotes
Mississauga
moss27 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:11 pm
Hi all,

You broke the coffee pot and are now asking about an option? Return / discount? But you broke it didn't you? Are you expecting to return it to Walmart saying it was broken when you bought it? Keep in mind a funny thing called Karma.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2012
162 posts
47 upvotes
BRANTFORD
pean42 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:27 pm
You broke the coffee pot and are now asking about an option? Return / discount? But you broke it didn't you? Are you expecting to return it to Walmart saying it was broken when you bought it? Keep in mind a funny thing called Karma.
Not at all. I'm interested in seeing if anything is available for situations like his, as I imagine stuff like this happens with new appliances. I don't think I've ever broken a new item like this before so I wanted to see if there were other options before buying a new one. The credit card suggestion was a good one, even if it's unlikely to be covered. I don't have any intention to mislead anyone.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2023 posts
1039 upvotes
Credit Card is your first step.

Other scrupulous choices are to contact the Manufacturer for a replacement... common occurrence.

Unscrupulous... hey not my style not going there, have learned my lesson... karma she’s a b!tch
May 28, 2012
9470 posts
1796 upvotes
Saskatoon
Just thought of another option, if you are okay with buying used, go to the thrift store and check for a replacement carafe. Or, like mentioned earlier, buy a new one online through the manufacturer or retail store.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8357 posts
1566 upvotes
London
Mars2012 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 1:05 am
Just thought of another option, if you are okay with buying used, go to the thrift store and check for a replacement carafe. Or, like mentioned earlier, buy a new one online through the manufacturer or retail store.
I'm pretty sure I've seen NOS coffee pots at dollarama in the past... but like most things, size matters. Darn near every coffee pot seems to use a different size or height, which isn't a huge problem apart from that little valve that stops coffee from flowing while it's still brewing.
Jan 9, 2011
972 posts
511 upvotes
Vancouver
After you get this sorted out, consider buying this instead. Indestructible.

Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4793 posts
478 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 9:37 am
After you get this sorted out, consider buying this instead. Indestructible.

hahaha, just picked one up from my mom this morning because I want espresso at home and dont want another counter appliance...she hasnt used it in 20 years.

For those pots, they break a lot easier these days. Id be surprised if there werent replacements available.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9324 posts
1861 upvotes
Toronto
we live in a throw away society...buy a new coffee maker OP.

My 4 year old accidentally smashed my 6 month old 50 inch TV.

I called to get a repair estimate and they said the repair would cost more than the TV...which cost $600.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2023 posts
1039 upvotes
Swerny wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 11:42 am
we live in a throw away society...buy a new coffee maker OP.

My 4 year old accidentally smashed my 6 month old 50 inch TV.

I called to get a repair estimate and they said the repair would cost more than the TV...which cost $600.
YIKES !

Thankfully Coffee Maker Carafes are a lot cheaper... and a common replacement item
(So much so that Retailers carry them, so not just the Manufacturer)

GOOGLE hamilton beach coffee maker replacement carafe
Dec 11, 2003
839 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
I bought a generic replacement carafe from Bed, Bath, and Beyond for my Black and Decker (? I forget) coffee maker. It had to be ordered online. The guy at the store did it for me. I went into the store hoping they had it in stock but the store I was at doesn't keep it in stock. I think it was $25.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4793 posts
478 upvotes
Toronto
Google reveals bed bath and beyond has one for $13. Its for Hamilton Beach 49980Z Two-Way Brewer and 49983 Two-Way FlexBrew Coffee Maker. OP check your machine model# and see if its compatible.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4014 posts
678 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Mars2012 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 1:05 am
Just thought of another option, if you are okay with buying used, go to the thrift store and check for a replacement carafe.
That's what I did in my situation - I think it was under $10.