Shopping Discussion

Bought Coffee Maker Recently... Broke Coffee Pot. Any Return/Discount Options?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2018 1:08 pm
Mar 13, 2006
984 posts
661 upvotes
Toronto
Canadian Tire carries replacement carafes as well.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2012
171 posts
68 upvotes
BRANTFORD
Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

I went and bought the coffeemaker from Walmart just to be safe in case it goes out of stock. I e-mailed Hamilton Beach and explained what happened, we will see if they have any alternative options.
I checked on Kijiji with no luck, and I'm on hold with Tangerine to see if they have any coverage for purchases.

My worry with the generic carafes is if they will be as effective. This is the first coffee maker I have purchased so I don't know if the one size fit all carafes are a good enough replacement or not compared to the standard one that comes with it. The coffeemaker as a whole cost just under $30 so I might be better off with it versus paying $15-20 for a generic carafe. I knew that I put it in a dangerous spot as soon as I put it down to dry...ahh. Lesson learned.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
2793 posts
242 upvotes
Ottawa
I got tired of breaking my carafes and bought one of these steel Cuisinart ones. I think it was a special order from Personal Edge.
https://www.cuisinart.ca/DCC-450BRC.html?lang=en
(Then it so happened that I found the exact same steel carafe in a discard pile on the sidewalk. So it goes.)

It adequately fits both of the small coffee makers I have on hand - I think one of them is Black & Decker and the other is Proctor-Silex. Perhaps there is not so much size variance when it comes to these things.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2012
171 posts
68 upvotes
BRANTFORD
Update:

I called Tangerine and they gave me the number for Assurant, who provides coverage/warrany for most products purchased with the Tangerine MC. I confirmed today that they will be sending me a cheque for the purchase price of the replacement coffee maker that I bought. I explained the story to the rep, filled out a claim form, and sent the documents they required. The process got delayed because they didn't overlooked some of the doumdnts I sent then sent me letters in the mail asking for the documents, but everything was sorted out today.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions. The information for Tangerine's purchase protection is below in case it helps anyone in the future.

https://www.tangerine.ca/en/legal/credi ... ex.html#c4

Purchase Assurance

a) Benefits – Purchase Assurance coverage automatically, without registration, protects most new Insured Items purchased anywhere in the world (provided the full Purchase Price is charged to the Account) by insuring them for ninety (90) days from the date of purchase in the event of loss, theft, or damage in excess of Other Insurance.

If an Insured Item is lost, stolen or damaged, the Insurer will reimburse you the lesser of the repair or replacement cost, not exceeding the original Purchase Price charged to the Account, subject to the limits of liability and exclusions stated in Section 4 of this Certificate of Insurance.

b) Excluded Items – Purchase Assurance does not cover the following items: travellers cheques, cash, tickets or any other negotiable instruments; bullion, rare or precious coins; art objects (such as but not limited to hand-made items, limited editions, original, signature pieces or collectible plates); pre-owned or used items, including antiques and demos; animals; living plants; perishables such as food and liquor; aircraft and parts and accessories thereof; automobiles, motorboats, motorcycles or any other motorized vehicles and parts and accessories thereof; items consumed in use; services; ancillary costs incurred in respect of an Insured Item and not forming part of the Purchase Price; parts and/or labour required as a result of mechanical breakdown; items purchased by and/or used for a business or commercial purpose and commercial gain; or mail order items until received and accepted by the Cardholder in new and undamaged condition. Jewellery transported/stored in baggage which is not under the personal supervision of the Cardholder or Cardholder’s travelling companion.

c) Gifts – Insured Items the Cardholder gives as gifts are covered by Purchase Assurance. In the event of a claim, the Cardholder, not the recipient of the gift, must make the claim for benefits.

d) Termination – Coverage ends the earliest of:

the date the Account is cancelled, closed or ceases to be in Good Standing;

the date the Cardholder ceases to be eligible for coverage; and

the date the Policy terminates.

No coverage will be provided for items purchased after the Policy termination date.

Extended Warranty

a) Benefits – Extended Warranty coverage provides the Cardholder with double the period of repair services otherwise provided by the original Manufacturer’s Warranty, to a maximum of one (1) additional year, when the full Purchase Price is charged to the Account on most Insured Items purchased anywhere in the world.

Extended Warranty benefits are limited to the lesser of the cost to repair or the original Purchase Price charged to the Account.

b) Registration – Insured Items with a Manufacturer’s Warranty of five (5) years or more are ONLY covered if registered within the first year of purchase. Insured Items with a Manufacturer’s Warranty of less than five (5) years DO NOT require registration. To register item(s) with a Manufacturer’s Warranty of more than five (5) years for the Extended Warranty benefit, call 1-855-255-6050 between 8:00 am and 8:00 pm, ET, Monday through Friday. You will be required to send copies of the following items to the Insurer within one (1) year after the Insured Item is purchased:

(i) a copy of the original vendor sales receipt;
(ii) the customer copy of Your sales receipt;
(iii) the serial number of the item; and
(iv) a copy of the original Manufacturer’s Warranty.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11401 posts
1609 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Kiraly wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 9:37 am
After you get this sorted out, consider buying this instead. Indestructible.

Is this aluminum? 'Cuz isn't aluminum bad when in contact with food?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1291 posts
766 upvotes
Vancouver
Becks wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 3:36 am
Urban legend. https://www.snopes.com/cooking-with-alu ... lzheimers/

Give me aluminum over a plastic coffee maker any day. Hot coffee should not be anywhere near plastic. Yuck.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
3318 posts
1670 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 3:36 am
Kiraly wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 11:36 am
Urban legend. https://www.snopes.com/cooking-with-alu ... lzheimers/

Give me aluminum over a plastic coffee maker any day. Hot coffee should not be anywhere near plastic. Yuck.
Well, Snopes got it half right.

Aluminum still is prone to corrosion / leaching if exposed to acidic foods (which is why things like cans of tomatoes are coated in the inside)

Tea & Coffee is only slightly acidic... vs Tomato Juice, OJ etc
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
1535 posts
273 upvotes
Swerny wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 11:42 am
we live in a throw away society...buy a new coffee maker OP.

My 4 year old accidentally smashed my 6 month old 50 inch TV.

I called to get a repair estimate and they said the repair would cost more than the TV...which cost $600.
Wow strong kid! How did that happen
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1291 posts
766 upvotes
Vancouver
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 12:53 pm
Well, Snopes got it half right.

Aluminum still is prone to corrosion / leaching if exposed to acidic foods (which is why things like cans of tomatoes are coated in the inside)

Tea & Coffee is only slightly acidic... vs Tomato Juice, OJ etc
There's no scientific evidence that cooking with aluminum causes any adverse health effects. What's your point on cans of tomatoes? Those cans are made of steel, not aluminum.