Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--

Bought an MXQ Android Box (loaded with a ton of apps)... its horribly slow

Alright, so I watched some reviews and decided on the MXQ and found one locally. The seller is someone who has sold a ton of these things and loads it with kodi and a ton of other apps. Although he said give it 2 days to try and get used to, to me its so unusable and slow that I will return it since he said I could (hope he keeps his promise).

When I say unusable, I could click the left, up right or down arrow on the remote and it takes at least a second to move to the next icon, kodi can barely stream anything and the live tv apps don't even start playing any video at all.... so yea... I have kodi on my PC and it is able to stream the HQ streams without issue most of the time anyways, so clearly it's not my internet connection especially when I can stream 4K on my TV off of youtube without any delay in the video...

So, with that said if he takes it back, what android box would you guys here recommend? I'm really debating the nVidia Shield TV unit but it's a bit pricey...
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
I have an MXQ box (Amlogic S805, 1 Gbyte RAM), and that's not my experience. It's not the fastest media player around, but it's adequate, and Kodi's streaming performance is just fine. Sounds like either something is set up wrong on your box, or something is updating furiously in the background and you weren't aware of it.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
JamesA1 wrote: I have an MXQ box (Amlogic S805, 1 Gbyte RAM), and that's not my experience. It's not the fastest media player around, but it's adequate, and Kodi's streaming performance is just fine. Sounds like either something is set up wrong on your box, or something is updating furiously in the background and you weren't aware of it.
Updates did happen, but even after all that was said and done I still have the issue, yet I'm using my PC to stream either MQ or HQ quality in Genesis without any issues.

Seems strange that even on the main android screen there's a delay in moving around the menu with the arrows on the remote. It's like a .5-1 second delay.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
Factory reset it and see what happens
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3949 posts
3570 upvotes
Markham
XtremeModder wrote: Updates did happen, but even after all that was said and done I still have the issue, yet I'm using my PC to stream either MQ or HQ quality in Genesis without any issues.

Seems strange that even on the main android screen there's a delay in moving around the menu with the arrows on the remote. It's like a .5-1 second delay.
It could be a poor wifi connection. Try ethernet cable if you have not.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
drdtyc wrote: It could be a poor wifi connection. Try ethernet cable if you have not.
But how would that make navigating the UI slow?
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1638 posts
517 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
XtremeModder wrote: So, with that said if he takes it back, what android box would you guys here recommend? I'm really debating the nVidia Shield TV unit but it's a bit pricey...
Return the ugly woman with a lot of makeup and choose the expensive supermodel...
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3949 posts
3570 upvotes
Markham
JamesA1 wrote: But how would that make navigating the UI slow?
A poor wifi connection made it slow to navigate the UI on my Moonbox MS3 (an Android box with its OEM private server of Hong Kong TVB contents). After changing the connection to ethernet cable. All is well.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
Delete or disable all the 1000's of add-ons and 100's of repositories they installed, they even tell you to wait 10 minutes after you get into Kodi so all those add-ons can update ! ...LoL
The S805 CPU in the MXQ ain't that slow, but the S802 chip is more suited for these MBox companies that are trying to enable every known add-on known to man !

My advice is for you to delete the copy of Kodi that came with the box and install a fresh copy without all those add-ons enabled and just install the few that you really need.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
EdT586 wrote: Delete or disable all the 1000's of add-ons and 100's of repositories they installed, they even tell you to wait 10 minutes after you get into Kodi so all those add-ons can update ! ...LoL
The S805 CPU in the MXQ ain't that slow, but the S802 chip is more suited for these MBox companies that are trying to enable every known add-on known to man !

My advice is for you to delete the copy of Kodi that came with the box and install a fresh copy without all those add-ons enabled and just install the few that you really need.
If he ends up not taking the thing back then I'll factory reset the box and start fresh. I will also trash his name all over kijiji as well and something else to teach a lesson in not screwing people ;)

What I find funny is about a 1/4 of the addons don't even work / there's an error. Multiple add ons installed that do the exact same thing... Why anyone does this I don't know.

I used to do mod chip installs and only installed what the customer wanted. There was a lot of things I used to do, such as case mods like leds in controller powers, custom paint jobs, etc etc and never once had a customer get upset at me cause I went out of my way to make sure they were happy. These android box sellers are installing anything and everything it's kind of laughable. If I try to play a high quality stream it says cache full literally the second a video starts...
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: If he ends up not taking the thing back then I'll factory reset the box and start fresh. I will also trash his name all over kijiji as well and something else to teach a lesson in not screwing people ;)

What I find funny is about a 1/4 of the addons don't even work / there's an error. Multiple add ons installed that do the exact same thing... Why anyone does this I don't know.

I used to do mod chip installs and only installed what the customer wanted. There was a lot of things I used to do, such as case mods like leds in controller powers, custom paint jobs, etc etc and never once had a customer get upset at me cause I went out of my way to make sure they were happy. These android box sellers are installing anything and everything it's kind of laughable. If I try to play a high quality stream it says cache full literally the second a video starts...
I work with these MBoxes on a daily basis, I know what these box manufacturers do and I also know what these boxes are capable of.
Install Kodi 15.2 and use the default Confluence skin or the Xonfluence skin if you want more options.
Basically 9-12 add-ons is really all you need and covers pretty much everything, but to make it simple for the Joe on the street they try to map every link separately into a folder, believe it or not I do this crap and I have two person working full time to check which add-ons/links are working before I map them because the company wants it to be user friendly !
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2014
1251 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How much did you pay for the box from this guy? Did you buy from mall/flea market? Hope you did not get ripped off.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)