• Aug 27th, 2018 1:14 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 8, 2017
10 posts
2 upvotes

Bought my new car, how do I protect it?

Hey

I just bought my first brand new car. It is a white 2018 hyundai tucson.

Ive been reading a bit about the importance of car washing, using clay bars, applying wax or paint films...etc to protect your paint, but I find it all pretty confusing.

I dont have a garage and park my vehicle in a parking lot so dings, chips etc are bound to happen. :(

What treatment do you recommend i should get to protect my new car? I wont be doing these treatments myself and will be looking for some place to take the vehicle. I just dont know what is the best option, or what I should ask for? I want to be prepared in case they try to upsell me or offer something I really wont need.

I also have leather seats and I am concerned about damages or fading. Should i get seat covers?

Thank you!!
Last edited by Jelloshot on Jun 14th, 2018 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
53 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3431 posts
580 upvotes
Park your car inside garage and don’t drive it
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15373 posts
3235 upvotes
Toronto
Just enjoy and don't worry. Chips, dings, stone chips, etc will happen.
May 17, 2018
201 posts
79 upvotes
Jelloshot wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 9:21 pm

I also have leather seats and I am concerned about damages or fading. Should i get seat covers?

Thank you!!
I don't understand putting seat covers on leather seats, unless you dislike them.
Jelloshot wrote:
What treatment do you recommend i should get to protect my new car? I wont be doing these treatments myself and will be looking for some place to take the vehicle. I just dont know what is the best option, or what I should ask for? I want to be prepared in case they try to upsell me or offer something I really wont need.
There are things like Opti-Coat Pro and its competitors that are worth looking into if you want something that will cut down on both damage and the amount of cleaning you have to do. Google is your friend on this one.
“Of this one thing make sure against your dying day – that your faults die before you do.” - Seneca
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7454 posts
3303 upvotes
Toronto
Jelloshot wrote:
Hey

I just bought my first brand new car. It is a white 2018 hyundai tucson.

Ive been reading a bit about the importance of car washing, using clay bars, applying wax or paint films...etc to protect your paint, but I find it all pretty confusing.

I dont have a garage and park my vehicle in a parking lot so dings, chips etc are bound to happen. :(

Thank you!!

meh
who cares.
seat covers are dumb. point of getting leather is to feel it on your butt.
enjoy.
you will get door dinged in parking lots.
you will get bumper dinged parallel parking.
you will get rock chips from highway driving.

good times.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17004 posts
1420 upvotes
Woodbridge
Seat covers? Remind me of some of my boys back in the day, parents covering their sofa with plastic. LOL

I got my friend to remove the seat covers of her new CivicX.

I know it's my car but that's how much I hate them. Makes no sense, I can understand if you have small kids so putting them on the back is fine but not the front seats.

Tint to protect the interior and also keep it cool during summer.

I wash them once a week and polish them 3-4 from March to September and wax them 2-3 October/November before temperature drops.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
1721 posts
819 upvotes
Just drive the car. Don't worry about it.

If you want to keep appearance nice, claybar and wax before and after winter.

RAIN-X your windshield to reduce drag so your wiper lasts a bit longer.

I won't invest too much since you don't have a garage. It will help but being under the sun all the time eventually the plastic trims will take a toll. Just enjoy it. There is nothing you can do to protect again dings and scratches. If you only have street parking, chances are your bumper will be scratched too. You can probably get them 3M'ed if you REALLY worry about it. It is what it is.

As for leather, just keep it clean and lotion them up whenever they look dry. There are different products out there, some are really shiny, some are muted. I have been a fan of Zaino and never tried another product in the last decade.

And congrats.
Last edited by Xtrema on Jun 13th, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
10056 posts
4823 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Holy shit these threads just keep getting better and better LOL
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5182 posts
2101 upvotes
Winnipeg
Don't let your wife drive...
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2545 posts
1331 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I would at least ceramic coat it so you don't have to spend so much time washing and waxing.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Mar 8, 2016
136 posts
20 upvotes
Like other people have said drive it home, and protect the stuff you can before it gets dirty.

- get weather tech mats and use all year round as they protect the carpet

- ceramic coat the paint and even the entire rim, take one wheel off at a time and do em also. Should be easy cause no cakes on brake dust.

- get the calipers painted or do it yourself, keeping themfrom rusting.

- if leather interior put a leather conditioner on (I use armour all gel) and apply every 3-6 months. And once a year use mild soap and clean all oils off and condition to keep it supple and soft

- rain-x the exterior glass parts

- may want to invest in some clear bra for the front end to protect it from chips and even on headlights I’d you want

- get it rust proffed asap, to protect it, I use rust cure 3000 from tsc store with a spray gun that can do numerous cars. Or go to Krown

- use synthetic engine oil after break in period.

- tinting the windows for me, keeps the interior temps down in the summer, and privacy which is nice.

-steering wheel cover cause in my car, I regret not using one. Leather is wearing as I pivot my hand a lot.

That’s all I can think of. And when washing dont use dish soap.
Feb 6, 2018
41 posts
5 upvotes
If you are planning to use a car cover, clean your car first to avoid paint marring.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)