Shopping Discussion

Bought new item from Best Buy - Bait and Switch (Scam)?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2014 6:23 pm
Tags:
None
May 24, 2008
304 posts
237 upvotes
Mississauga

Bought new item from Best Buy - Bait and Switch (Scam)?

Today i have purchased a wifi router from Best Buy ($300), went home happy, opened box and its a different model (a much cheaper model wifi router). I already called Visa and put a note my purchase but was advised by the VISA rep to talk to Best Buy first. Am I SOL on returning/exchange for this? Whats the proper way to deal with this?
39 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
3379 posts
710 upvotes
North Etobicoke
Take it back and tell them you don't want it. Bestbuy always does this crap. One time my boss asked me to buy a Tv for client, they client refused it (personal) Took the TV back to Bestbuy to return. When they open the box the Tv was used (was around Football finals in January) all the stickers was off. I was fing floored. "They" open the bottom of the box, used the TV then put it back. Had a hard time but eventually got a store credit. What if the client had accepted the TV!!!!!!. Never again will buy at Bestbuy.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2012
1876 posts
1480 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Menthol wrote: Take it back and tell them you don't want it. Bestbuy always does this crap. One time my boss asked me to buy a Tv for client, they client refused it (personal) Took the TV back to Bestbuy to return. When they open the box the Tv was used (was around Football finals in January) all the stickers was off. I was fing floored. "They" open the bottom of the box, used the TV then put it back. Had a hard time but eventually got a store credit. What if the client had accepted the TV!!!!!!. Never again will buy at Besybuy.

They accept returns on open TVs, so you shouldn't have had a big issue returning it.

Similarily, I bought a PS4 game from Walmart last year and got home opened it and it was a blank old DVD inside. I took it back and they allowed me to exchange it, the new copy was opened at the counter by the employee and sure enough, it had a blank DVD in it too.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4248 posts
297 upvotes
GVA
People swap items in the store or pull return scams, you should be able to exchange it for what you paid for.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41798 posts
30054 upvotes
Center of Universe
Menthol wrote: Take it back and tell them you don't want it. Bestbuy always does this crap. One time my boss asked me to buy a Tv for client, they client refused it (personal) Took the TV back to Bestbuy to return. When they open the box the Tv was used (was around Football finals in January) all the stickers was off. I was fing floored. "They" open the bottom of the box, used the TV then put it back. Had a hard time but eventually got a store credit. What if the client had accepted the TV!!!!!!. Never again will buy at Besybuy.
When buying a tv, they're suppose to unbox it and plug it in to show you that it powers up.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2008
2095 posts
129 upvotes
North York
vkizzle wrote: When buying a tv, they're suppose to unbox it and plug it in to show you that it powers up.
Does anyone insist on doing this?

I might try it to save me a trip from having to drive it back for return.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41798 posts
30054 upvotes
Center of Universe
jacobe wrote: Does anyone insist on doing this?

I might try it to save me a trip from having to drive it back for return.
I thought it was the norm?
The last 2 tv purchases from BB, the Rep insisted and I went along thinking it was just their normal practise.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1214 posts
867 upvotes
Ottawa
The customer is always right, so you should have no problem. They need to do a better job of verifying retuns.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
3379 posts
710 upvotes
North Etobicoke
This company never fails to amaze me. My wife bought me a new boxed Logitech K800 keyboard from Futureshop as a Christmas gift. When I flip it over to show my wife what looks like coffee stains at back, the "M" key fell off. Some one had put tape on in and try to stick it back. It was in the plastic bag and still had the plastic strips between the keys.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1605 posts
691 upvotes
Calgary
vkizzle wrote: When buying a tv, they're suppose to unbox it and plug it in to show you that it powers up.
When I worked at best buy, at Christmas this stopped this because they were too busy. It started again after boxing week.
Jul 1, 2009
531 posts
430 upvotes
Calgary
People on this forum throw around words like " fraud " and " bait-and-switch " all the time when they don't even apply.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5427 posts
5283 upvotes
GTA
Menthol wrote: This company never fails to amaze me. My wife bought me a new boxed Logitech K800 keyboard from Futureshop as a Christmas gift. When I flip it over to show my wife what looks like coffee stains at back, the "M" key fell off. Some one had put tape on in and try to stick it back. It was in the plastic bag and still had the plastic strips between the keys.
I thought that after that tv fiasco you will stop shopping at BB? Now you bought the keyboard?
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
3379 posts
710 upvotes
North Etobicoke
Tommy74 wrote: I thought that after that tv fiasco you will stop shopping at BB? Now you bought the keyboard?

I know eh, but the wife did. Bestbuy had the same keyboard and mouse for the the same price. But she chose FS instead.
Nov 3, 2007
906 posts
63 upvotes
Cambridge
Um if its not what you want and you just bought it and completely as new with all original packing do it back up and take it back
Cambridge,Ontario
May 24, 2008
304 posts
237 upvotes
Mississauga
So I brought it back to Best buy. The manager said he cannot do anything (refund or exchange) and said I'll have to contact the manufacturer (Asus). I'll have to call a Asus tomorrow since they are closed today. Got a feeling this is not going to be resolved easily. Any suggestion.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
What do you mean he cannot do anything? You give up too easily. What's the problem? Are you not returning exactly what you bought within the return period?

What the heck is the manufacturer supposed to do?

Was the package sealed in any way where you have to break a seal?

What exactly did the young man at Best Buy give you for a reason?
Dec 1, 2014
81 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Check to see if there is a SN code or your receipt. Sometimes these products come with their own individual SN for each unit, then request to see if this unit has been sold previously.

I thought it was illegal for stores to sell returned merchandise as brand new...... and never had this problem shopping at best buy or future shop before, but will remember to open up the item instore from now on

thanks
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3952 posts
2856 upvotes
Toronto
---------
Last edited by drz400 on Jul 25th, 2022 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2004
1603 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
contact their head office and give them the managers name

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)