Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
180 upvotes
Edmonton

Bought a stolen Iphone, what to do?

My friend bought a an Iphone from a pawnshop but I was skeptical of the price that she paid so I checked it's blacklisted. She has the receipt for it from the pawnshop and everything.

I thought that pawnshops were supposed to keep serial numbers and check whether things are "legit" and register it with the police and keep it for a month before selling it?

What should she do now? Try returning it to the pawnshop or just use it as an Ipod? I'm not sure if this is even possible because it had been reset and it's on the find wifi screen?
34 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2012
9032 posts
993 upvotes
Toronto
Never buy cell/smart phones at a pawn shop. ALWAYS go to a proper cell dealer.
PERIOD.
Is this pawn shop a regular main stay location? Or a fly by night that recently opened up?
If they've been around a while you might be in luck. They'll most likely help you in an effort to keep their good name.
If it's a fly by night place...good luck!
Still, I hope you've learned something. Stick with the cell phone dealers, not the pawn shops and flea markets.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7758 posts
151 upvotes
I think know about Edmonton but in Toronto the local police look for stolen items in pawn shops. I would talk to the store ask for my money back and also tell them you are reporting it to the police.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1337 posts
311 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
I'd return it to the pawnshop immediately and get your money back. If they won't do it, threaten to call the police. Once you get your money back, call the police anyway. If they refuse to give you your money back, call the police anyway. There's some poor person out there whose iphone was stolen. I'm sure they'd like to get it back. Wouldn't you? Keep it as an ipod? Seriously, how would you feel if you had your cell phone stolen? Wouldn't you worry? Be a good guy. Your friend deserves to get her money back first, no question. Because she didn't do anything wrong and doesn't deserve to eat the cash. But then phone the cops.

If the pawnshop won't return the cash, maybe the iphone's owner will pay your friend back once that person gets their iphone back. They might be grateful. It's good karma. Do the right thing.
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"

Love TV? The Episodium
Dec 26, 2009
254 posts
130 upvotes
East York
Personally, I'd bring the phone & receipt to the police to cover my own behind. I don't know the specifics regarding Canadian law and possession of a stolen item, but I'm fairly certain it's at least a minor charge, and now that you know it's stolen the charge(s) can only get worse. (worst case scenario)

If the pawn shop has been there awhile, and at least somewhat reputable, you can try to get a refund.
The absolute last thing I would do at this point is keep it.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3115 posts
320 upvotes
Taking the phone straight to the police is stupid.... The only place I would take the phone is back to the pawnshop with the bill of sale... Explain the problem and ask for your money back...
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
11657 posts
1470 upvotes
Toronto
I'm curious, which model, what did s/he pay for it, and was it carrier locked?

These days you can get a refurbished 16 GB iPhone 5 from a reputable (but non-authorized) phone store for about $399 carrier-locked, complete with warranty. I think the iPhone 4S is about $100 cheaper, so $299ish. If you want unlocked, it's about $100 more.
Dec 19, 2011
234 posts
16 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
If you go to the police first wont they confiscate it as evidence?
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
2317 posts
576 upvotes
Lindsay, ON
LoL, guys, the police won't do ANYTHING. Just because the phone is blacklisted, does not mean it has been reported to police. Bringing it to the police would be stupid.

Just take it to that pawnshop and get your money back.
Apr 6, 2008
169 posts
37 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Take it to the pawnshop explain the situation, a blacklisted phone not necessary means that your friend bought an stolen phone, could be blacklisted because the original owner didn't paid the phone contract so the carrier blacklisted the phone.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9260 posts
1884 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
rianca wrote:
Dec 19th, 2013 2:26 pm
Take it to the pawnshop explain the situation, a blacklisted phone not necessary means that your friend bought an stolen phone, could be blacklisted because the original owner didn't paid the phone contract so the carrier blacklisted the phone.
From my understanding from some questions I posed to CWTA, the carriers will only add a defaulted to the blacklist if they have also reported it as stolen. The spirit of the blacklist is for it to be used for lost and stolen phones, not to give the carriers a weapon against breaking contracts. Only if they consider it stolen and report it to the police as such, are they to add it to the blacklist.

*I suppose that doesn't mean some won't add it to the list without reporting it as stolen, but their own internal polices when creating the national list is not supposed to allow this.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Jan 27, 2004
623 posts
16 upvotes
pawn shops = drug addicts steal things and sell it to them
Banned
Sep 5, 2013
219 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
What happens to an iphone when it gets blacklisted? Does it become 100% disabled? Or you can't make calls but can still use it as an ipod? How can I check the phone if it is blacklisted during the trade?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9260 posts
1884 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
TorraTorra wrote:
Dec 20th, 2013 9:07 am
What happens to an iphone when it gets blacklisted? Does it become 100% disabled? Or you can't make calls but can still use it as an ipod? How can I check the phone if it is blacklisted during the trade?
The carrier's blacklist just keeps the phone off the networks, so everything else should work.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
× < >