4879 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Bowflex

I have a few questions on the Bowflex:

Does anyone here own one?
Where and how much did you pay?
Would you recommend it? Which Model?

My wife and I bought an elliptical trainer 6 months ago – we’ve only used it TWICE!
We find that it’s better to go for a walk, jog or cycling than use the machine. We bought the machine for $1840 (incl. tax) and want to sell it now and get the Bowflex instead. What do you think? How much can we get for it?

Here are the specs for the Elliptical. It’s practically BRAND NEW (I have the receipt – it was bought from Fitness Source).

Kettler Ergometer CTR1

http://www.kettler.net/articles/2004031 ... index.html

http://www.fitnesssource.ca/product_inf ... ucts_id=66

KETTLER CTR1 ELLIPTICAL / CROSSTRAINER (Made in Germany)
The CTR1 Elliptical/Crosstrainer is a highly effective form of exercise for the entire body as it makes use of all the main groups of muscles and stimulates the metabolism. Through their innovative elliptical movement of the footplates, the KETTLER cross trainers give a unique and enjoyable feeling of weightlessness during training. The evenly balanced movement strengthens the legs, seat and hips without putting unnecessary strain on the joints. The movement of the upper torso is linked to that of the legs and strengthens arms, shoulders, chest and back.
Enjoy the silent smooth ride.

Key Features:

Electronic pulse ear clip, hand sensors or cardio-pulse kit
PC interface for exchangeable training programs
Electromagnetic Eddy-Current brake system.
22kg Flywheel
Transport castors at front, height adjustment at rear

Product Specs:

Programs:
Seven resident training programs; Possible settings: Performance, time, calorie consumption, distance, optimum training pulse range, upper pulse limit, and choice of programs.

Console Features:
High-resolution LCD with graphic display of load profile, performance in Watts, number of cycles, timer, calorie consumption, training distance, total km, speed, room temperature, pulse, and average values at the end of training.

Dimensions:
Length 59.30", Width 22.05", Height 59.82"

Warranty:
Residential: Lifetime Frame, 3 Year Parts, 1 Year Labour; Light Institutional: 1 Year Parts

(Since the machine is only 6 months old, the warranty is still valid.)
16 replies
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Anyone??
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18714 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
Are you trying to sell this :D IF so.. this belongs to BST // j/k

try the fitness forum..
For Sale:

HEATWARE
Deal Guru
May 23, 2003
10229 posts
1652 upvotes
GTA
The Bowflex Elite is available at Costco. Next week they have a $200 off instant coupon. I think the orginal price is $1399 or maybe $1299.

I found a forum on the internet (called At fit Home or something like that) that discusses just Bowflexs. If you search for Bowflex and costco in google it is one of the top matches.
Feb 5, 2004
283 posts
Lethbridge, AB
You can get a brand new Bowflex hardly used for cheap cheap if you check your local bargin finder. People continuously buy these things in the hopes of looking like Chuck Norris and then never use them.
Apr 5, 2003
70 posts
If you haven't at least researched the Crossbow from Weider, you should do so. It's considerably cheaper, and some people claim its even better. I think it at least is the better value.
Oct 6, 2004
44 posts
I bought a Bowflex maybe around 4 years ago so I could cancel my gym membership. I paid $1795.46 which included the tax and shipping. I bought it by calling the number on the website.

Nowadays, you can check it out at places like Fitness Depot before you buy it.

I recommend testing it out and ALSO testing out the Weider Crossbow. The Crossbow looks like a much better deal although my ex-boss didn't like it (I recommended he get one after he kept wanting me to sell him my bowflex for cheap). I've never used the crossbow but here are some things I would check out about it:

- It looks wider than the bowflex which may be a factor.
- Check out the resistance throughout the range of motion. It doesn't have to be constant, but ideally you don't want it too light at the start or end of the motion.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2002
1960 posts
147 upvotes
Victoria
shaker wrote:You can get a brand new Bowflex hardly used for cheap cheap if you check your local bargin finder. People continuously buy these things in the hopes of looking like Chuck Norris and then never use them.
I believe Chuck Norris is the "Total Gym" guy...him and Christie Brinkley. :)
Deal Guru
Mar 30, 2002
12415 posts
10 upvotes
My view is you always need a workout partner to spot you so you can push those extra few reps at the end. If you're just looking to tone up a bit, this should be fine, but don't expect to start looking like the models they have in the commercials.
:hay:

[You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period.]
Feb 5, 2004
283 posts
Lethbridge, AB
Gdog wrote:I believe Chuck Norris is the "Total Gym" guy...him and Christie Brinkley. :)
:cheesygri :cheesygri LMAO my mistake you're right :cheesygri :cheesygri
Feb 25, 2003
321 posts
145 upvotes
Vancouver
Personally, I wouldn't get one of these things. I went to Sears to look at the Crossbow with a buddy who was interested in buying it. After testing it out (we gave it a fair chance, doing all the excercises shown on their poster), we both felt it didn't give a good work out. The first thing we noticed is that the resistance is not consistent through-out the motion, whether pushing, pulling, etc. For example, if you're doing a lat pull-down, you will not feel anything pulling 2/3rds of the way down. Only the last 3rd, did I feel a good pull, but that's because the resistance bars were already bent to their full potential. We both felt that even a universal gym with weights would be more beneficial, because of constant & consistant weight through the range of motion. In the end, he didn't buy it, and just bought a pass to the local gym.
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Thanks guys! Most of you seem to say to stay away from the bowflex and that's what my research on google says too! The infomercials are very deceiving to say the least.

If I posted my Elliptical machine in the BST forum would it sell? How much do you think I would get for it?
Oct 6, 2004
44 posts
If you need a lot of motivation, I don't think anything is going to help until you rework your mindset.

B40, I actually believe you can have a modeleque physique using the bowflex and a good diet. Just based off my own results and I only use my bowflex once a week.

I don't know if I'd recommend the bowflex, but in its defence:

- it will work a lot more stabilizer muscles than with universals, which only have one fixed motion per exercise. When I first started working out, I used universals, then I moved to freeweights and had to drop down in lifting weight so that my stabilizers could catch up. The same thing when I moved onto using the bowflex.
- you can do ballistic/plyometric movements without fear of injury and do it all without a spotter.
- the bowflex rods start out preflexed so you have resistance all the way through, and in fact it gets harder the more the rods get bent.

But the bowflex is friggin expensive. I'd take it over a gym membership in a heartbeat but otherwise if it's just going to collect dust in your house, you should save your money.
Oct 15, 2003
739 posts
I've tried the bowflex and the Total gym...the only reason I would ever ever consider buying them was if the gym closest to me was too far. I always asked myself one question even before trying out all these home gym equipment. If they work as well the company claims they do, why haven't commercial gyms stocked up on them? I mean, as a business owner, it would probably cost me half a quarter million to get all the equipment needed to perform all the exercises the bowflex claims it can do. Why not just buy like 100 bowflexes in bulk price and save yourself some money, space and chances of getting sued?
Oct 6, 2004
44 posts
I actually asked someone at Fitness Depot about that.

The person said that the equipment at gyms are much more expensive than anything they carry and that they have to be durable enough to sustain constant abuse.

Home gym equipment aren't built for that kind of abuse and are therefore cheaper.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2678 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
aok wrote:I don't know if I'd recommend the bowflex, but in its defence:

- it will work a lot more stabilizer muscles than with universals, which only have one fixed motion per exercise. When I first started working out, I used universals, then I moved to freeweights and had to drop down in lifting weight so that my stabilizers could catch up. The same thing when I moved onto using the bowflex.
- you can do ballistic/plyometric movements without fear of injury and do it all without a spotter.
- the bowflex rods start out preflexed so you have resistance all the way through, and in fact it gets harder the more the rods get bent.
Couple of points I have to make:

Bowflex is not very good for working out the stabilizer muscles. Yes you shake like crazy when pressing, but there is no inertial resistance to the handles, so your stabilizer muscles are not doing any work. If you have dumbells, it takes an appreciable force to accelerate and decelerate the mass if it goes slightly out of position. The bowflex is good for developing control, though, so for gymnists it could be beneficial.

I don't like it for strength training for a couple of reasons. First, the lack of inertial stability often makes it hard to use a high weight. I use dumbells a lot more than I use a bar, so I have better stability than most people, but even then I couldn't feel anything in my chest doing presses, and I was wobbling a lot.
The second problem is that it is spring based. By it's very nature, the force increases throughout the range of motion, as you mentioned. Subjectively, I'd say it's a factor of 2 at least. I don't know about you, but even 15% more weight for me is enough to cross from an easy 10 reps to 5 tough reps. So this feature is a very bad thing. I'd only be pushing the limit of my strength for a small part of the motion, and the rest will be easy. DeeCee is absolutely right.

Finally, the cost is way too high. These plastic "power rods" cost much less than steel does, so it should be less than other home gyms. Add to this the fact that a recall was issued, and you know that all the money is going to marketing.

This is not to say it's useless. I totally agree with you regarding ballistic motion. This will be very useful for sports. For circuit training and a full body cardio workout the bowflex should be good as well. However, don't buy it for strength training. I was expecting a lot more when I tried one out.
Oct 6, 2004
44 posts
I used to use dumbbells exclusively after moving from the straight-bar. I agree that it takes more to get it back into position if you are misaligned (relative to direction of gravity I guess) and I always purposefully made myself do this while lifting to get a better workout (I had read an article discussing the benefits of intentionally inducing controlled wobble).

But if I used to uncontrollably wobble A LOT when I first started using the bowflex, and after a week or two I stopped, wouldn't that mean my stabilizer muscles that used to not be worked had now caught up? This was the same when I first started lifting with the straight-bar, as I bench-pressed, I would shake. Same for all my friends. After a few sessions (I can't remember how many because it was years ago) I started being able to lift smoothly. There is the shaking that happens when someone first starts working out because their muscles don't know how to contract in coordination, but I had already been lifting for many years prior. So I attributed my shaking to lack of stabilizer development that I didn't get even with my dumbbell routine. I also had to drop down about 20 pounds off my bench press (if the bowflex rods are rated accurately). I swear I felt muscle aches all around my normal chest muscles until the wobble was also gone. I'd say that was working something I had not before and that's why I concluded I'm getting a more "complete" workout.

You make a great point about the non-uniform resistance throughout the range of motion. Right now, I've maxed out the default resistance of 210-lbs for incline and flat bench press exercises. So I guess I am stronger at the peak of my extension. I don't think I mind because I can't think of a practical reason that would be bad with this. If I wasn't already maxed out, I suppose I could break my sets in half and use two different resistances for lower part and higher part of the extension. It would be informative to see real data on the amount of resistance relative to the amount of bend in the rods.

Still, cost is super high. But it still works out cheaper for me than joining a gym after about 3 years.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)