• Dec 29th, 2012 2:08 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2353 posts
370 upvotes

Boxing Day 1080p projector thread

The only big ticket item I'm in the market for this year would be a 1080p 3D projector for my home theatre... I bought a non-3D TV in 2008 and rather than spend a grand on a new 3D TV, I think I'll put that money towards the home theatre projector & screen that I've wanted for years.

Home Theatre Projector deals will be few and far between, I know, so it's even more important to get a centralized list of them, and not have them buried in the "TV's" deal thread.

Does anyone know of any likely front-runners for projector deals? That is, any well-reviewed models that are 'expected' to be on sale on Boxing Day?

As a point of reference, Costco has the Optoma HD33CA for $1500 with 2 pairs of active 3D glasses, but no mount or screen. If that gets a bundle with a mount and screen for the same price, that might make me pull the trigger (with Costco's 2 year warranty).

I guess this would also be a good place to post deals on accessories, like screens, projector ceiling mounts and wireless HDMI 1.4a tranceivers.
Human Right's Campaign "Coming Out Center" - Visibility = Understanding. If you're queer, be seen and heard. Come Out!
The Story of Bottled Water - Bottled water is terrible and wasteful!
SDM Optimum points primer
86 replies
Sep 27, 2004
631 posts
12 upvotes
Scarborough
I will also be watching this thread as I use a 720p projector in the basement, and it's the only way I play Halo 4 now. 70 inches of gaming goodness.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1321 posts
118 upvotes
Winnipeg
eastporters is a great place for cheap screens. well, cheap, and inexpensive. depending on how much you want to go they have some good starter stuff and high end screens to choose from. i've been eyeing them up for awhile now.
http://www.eastporters.com/estore/

not sure about projectors being a big boxing day item though. i wouldn't expect any good deals on good projectors, maybe just the old stock, or data projectors.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2780 posts
590 upvotes
I don't know about 3D but you can expect the epson 8350 for $999.

Also don't buy a cheap screen. It is as important if not more than the projector itself. you can build a great screen for around $200. Read up on AVSforum. I am currently building one currently myself.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2353 posts
370 upvotes
fatestkid wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 2:06 pm
Also don't buy a cheap screen. It is as important if not more than the projector itself.
I agree... seems a shame to cut corners on a screen when they don't really drop in price by orders of magnitude like the projectors, and as new technology improves it would be nice to be able to replace the projector but keep the screen.
fatestkid wrote:
you can build a great screen for around $200. Read up on AVSforum. I am currently building one currently myself.
(Link to the thread? Thanks in advance!)

I can't use a fixed wall mounted screen... I'll need one that can rise to the ceiling and hopefully even work with RS-232 or bluetooth or IR to raise / lower it... but I will want a decent sized one, good quality
Human Right's Campaign "Coming Out Center" - Visibility = Understanding. If you're queer, be seen and heard. Come Out!
The Story of Bottled Water - Bottled water is terrible and wasteful!
SDM Optimum points primer
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6372 posts
142 upvotes
you should be able to find the Epson 3010 or 5010 (last years models) for cheap in a feew places. Visions was trying to clear them out.

I just project onto my wall and its fine. I bought a sheet of laminate (wilsonart fashion grey) to build a screen, but my wife and kid don't even want that, they are happy with the wall projection... :confused:
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1321 posts
118 upvotes
Winnipeg
fatestkid wrote:
I don't know about 3D but you can expect the epson 8350 for $999.

Also don't buy a cheap screen. It is as important if not more than the projector itself. you can build a great screen for around $200. Read up on AVSforum. I am currently building one currently myself.
you're absolutely right. and the link i posted does offer great screens too. sometimes is nice though, if you're on a budget to have the option of a ready built 150dollar screen that will 'do the job' until you can afford a nice one. it's not like you are throwing away a ton of money, and i'd rather spend it on a cheap screen than a DIY project.

but either way, i'd rather be paying 800-1200 for a great screen from them than 3000 for something comparable by a bigger 'name brand' company.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1321 posts
118 upvotes
Winnipeg
lorax1284 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 3:08 pm
I agree... seems a shame to cut corners on a screen when they don't really drop in price by orders of magnitude like the projectors, and as new technology improves it would be nice to be able to replace the projector but keep the screen.

I can't use a fixed wall mounted screen... I'll need one that can rise to the ceiling and hopefully even work with RS-232 or bluetooth or IR to raise / lower it... but I will want a decent sized one, good quality
on the cheap: http://www.eastporters.com/estore/cart. ... gory_id=35 (also avail in white, and different gains)
medium: http://eastporters.com/estore/cart.php? ... gory_id=57
high quality: http://eastporters.com/estore/cart.php? ... gory_id=59

they also have audio transparent screens if that's needed as well.
Dec 15, 2006
278 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga,ON
I will follow this thread closely. I am looking for a 2D 1080P projector around $900.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2780 posts
590 upvotes
kamascottra wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 4:18 pm
you're absolutely right. and the link i posted does offer great screens too. sometimes is nice though, if you're on a budget to have the option of a ready built 150dollar screen that will 'do the job' until you can afford a nice one. it's not like you are throwing away a ton of money, and i'd rather spend it on a cheap screen than a DIY project.
You are right the convenience factor is great but I think projecting on a white wall with flat pure white paint will give you the same results as a $150 screen. just my 2 cents
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2780 posts
590 upvotes
lorax1284 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 3:08 pm

I'll find some links soon for you. But as far as I know you can't roll painted screens so the only option you would have is to lift the entire solid screen upto to your roof. That is quite an ambitious DIY undertaking but can be done with a aluminum or thin wood frame with strached fabric screen on it. You will need to install some sort of motor on it to roll it up of course.
Jul 18, 2004
373 posts
51 upvotes
Napanee
Canada Computers has the Optoma HD20 on for $799 right now which is a good deal. It's 1080p but not 3d. Also, Dell sells the 120" 16:9 Elite Screens Manual pull down for $150 with free next day shipping. Pretty good combo if you have the room.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2780 posts
590 upvotes
I am not an expert, and I am currently building my first screen. This is also my first projector. Below I am including as many useful links as I found on my 3 weeks of researching DIY screen. If your screen is less than 120" than you have a lot of choices such spandax, black out cloth, thrifty white board, sintra/komatex. If you want bigger than drywall is one of very few solutions and the most economical. That is what I am going for.

Beginners guide to DIY screen

DIY paint #1 RS-MaxxMudd V.2 Mix

DIY paint #2 Silver fire V2.0

Stretched fabric screen

Dry wall preparation

Basic rolling skills

Two roller technique

Thrifty white board screen

Screen Size Calculator
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1321 posts
118 upvotes
Winnipeg
fatestkid wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 7:53 pm
You are right the convenience factor is great but I think projecting on a white wall with flat pure white paint will give you the same results as a $150 screen. just my 2 cents
yeah. these work better if you need a pull down or motorized screen. i can't have my screen down all the time in my room, and a painted wall would have actually required me to build a wall, haha.
× < >