Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2005
5766 posts
75 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Keep us up to date with your results, i'd be curious to see how it comes out
fatestkid wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 8:10 pm
I am not an expert, and I am currently building my first screen. This is also my first projector. Below I am including as many useful links as I found on my 3 weeks of researching DIY screen. If your screen is less than 120" than you have a lot of choices such spandax, black out cloth, thrifty white board, sintra/komatex. If you want bigger than drywall is one of very few solutions and the most economical. That is what I am going for.

Beginners guide to DIY screen

DIY paint #1 RS-MaxxMudd V.2 Mix

DIY paint #2 Silver fire V2.0

Stretched fabric screen

Dry wall preparation

Basic rolling skills

Two roller technique

Thrifty white board screen

Screen Size Calculator
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2780 posts
590 upvotes
nfnx wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 10:12 pm
Keep us up to date with your results, i'd be curious to see how it comes out
Here is my build thread. Focus on the first post as I keep updating it, the rest got a bit derailed. Just did the first coat of white paint today just to get some practice and have a nice base before I mix up the $150 DIY paint.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6372 posts
142 upvotes
fatestkid wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 8:10 pm
I am not an expert, and I am currently building my first screen. This is also my first projector. Below I am including as many useful links as I found on my 3 weeks of researching DIY screen. If your screen is less than 120" than you have a lot of choices such spandax, black out cloth, thrifty white board, sintra/komatex. If you want bigger than drywall is one of very few solutions and the most economical. That is what I am going for.
You forgot Laminate. Its actually quite easy to build one from this stuff. There are some good DIY laminate threads around too:
100 inch is easy since you can get a 4x8 sheet at many places, andt Lowes will also bring in 9x12 sheets of wilsonart if you ask, which lets you build a 120 inch screen
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ ... ation.html.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1321 posts
118 upvotes
Winnipeg
fatestkid wrote:
Dec 18th, 2012 1:53 am
Horrible prices
yeah i wasn't sure. it's been awhile since i was in the market. they USED to be competetive and i just noticed they had 'holiday' pricing so figured it was worth a post. the sticker prices seem to be average, but the free shipping, and throw ins might make it ok for some
Dec 30, 2011
240 posts
141 upvotes
NEPEAN
When I checked out all the DIY threads for a Home Screen, I finally decided to just bite the bullet and paint one using the Screen GOO method. I can tell you that I'll never ever consider anything else again. The picture is incredible, however you must have a wall free from defects which I did after prepping the wall and filling in the blemishes. I don't lose any floor or ceiling space and it can easily be covered with a drape or whatever for added protection when not in use. It's been two years now and the picture still looks amazing and the paint is as good today as the day I put it on. I'm using an Optoma HD200XLV 1080p. Screen Size is about 126" diag. :-)
Link >> http://www.goosystemsglobal.com/

Why ***** around with Alternatives when for a few bucks more you can get the stuff that works wonders, is easy to put on and will last forever providing you don't throw a beer at it when your team loses, LOL
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1321 posts
118 upvotes
Winnipeg
Dagwould wrote:
Dec 18th, 2012 12:06 pm
When I checked out all the DIY threads for a Home Screen, I finally decided to just bite the bullet and paint one using the Screen GOO method. I can tell you that I'll never ever consider anything else again. The picture is incredible, however you must have a wall free from defects which I did after prepping the wall and filling in the blemishes. I don't lose any floor or ceiling space and it can easily be covered with a drape or whatever for added protection when not in use. It's been two years now and the picture still looks amazing and the paint is as good today as the day I put it on. I'm using an Optoma HD200XLV 1080p. Screen Size is about 126" diag. :-)

Why ***** around with Alternatives when for a few bucks more you can get the stuff that works wonders, is easy to put on and will last forever providing you don't throw a beer at it when your team loses, LOL
my question is always, how does it compare to a real screen?

these DIY things seem to be in an odd spot for me. too expensive to be a 'ghetto fix', but they still don't seem like the 'right' way to do it either. so i'm just curious if you've ever had a retail screen and how it compares. is this at all better than a cheap screen? does even come close to an expensive screen?
Dec 30, 2011
240 posts
141 upvotes
NEPEAN
kamascottra wrote:
Dec 18th, 2012 12:49 pm
my question is always, how does it compare to a real screen?

these DIY things seem to be in an odd spot for me. too expensive to be a 'ghetto fix', but they still don't seem like the 'right' way to do it either. so i'm just curious if you've ever had a retail screen and how it compares. is this at all better than a cheap screen? does even come close to an expensive screen?
I can't compare to a screen but do compare it to my HD Sony 50" and am happy. For me, a screen needs to be hung, it may or may not curl up...if it rips..your done where I can just patch and touch it up again. If you go to the goo systems link....there are comparisons there for review and the specs on the special formulation of the paint itself which is specifically blended to work with projectors. It's not a cheap HD "screen-type" paint. It still ran me over $100 for a couple of little bottles.
Dec 15, 2006
278 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga,ON
fatestkid wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 2:06 pm
I don't know about 3D but you can expect the epson 8350 for $999.

Also don't buy a cheap screen. It is as important if not more than the projector itself. you can build a great screen for around $200. Read up on AVSforum. I am currently building one currently myself.
Epson 8350 is my on my list but it is two years old model. Is there any new projector worth looking at?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2780 posts
590 upvotes
jjzzbb wrote:
Dec 18th, 2012 2:32 pm
Epson 8350 is my on my list but it is two years old model. Is there any new projector worth looking at?
I wouldn't worry about the age of the projector it is still relevant for 2D and the bulbs are cheap. New models won't gone on that big of a sale and add minimal benefit. If you can increase your budget then go for a DILA system from sony or JVC they are above LCD/DLP in picture quality but the bulbs are super expensive and you need a fairly dark room for them.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2780 posts
590 upvotes
Dagwould wrote:
Dec 18th, 2012 12:06 pm

AVS forum has some comparisons of the DIY paints vs the goo. I recommend people read and decide for themselves. Just like the good a painted screen can be fixed with paint :)
Apr 6, 2006
10 posts
I bought an Epson 8345 a few months back, absolutely thrilled with the experience. Only regret is I should have done this earlier. I've been missing out on a real cinema experience. At the time I was reading all over AVS forum about screens and DIY methods. In the end I went with a screen kit from Ebay

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Projection-Proje ... 681wt_1186

Sort of like a DIY job but without the hassle and the guessing if it will turn out "alright". Highly recommend this screen, assembles really well and looks top notch.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1321 posts
118 upvotes
Winnipeg
Dagwould wrote:
Dec 18th, 2012 1:07 pm
I can't compare to a screen but do compare it to my HD Sony 50" and am happy. For me, a screen needs to be hung, it may or may not curl up...if it rips..your done where I can just patch and touch it up again. If you go to the goo systems link....there are comparisons there for review and the specs on the special formulation of the paint itself which is specifically blended to work with projectors. It's not a cheap HD "screen-type" paint. It still ran me over $100 for a couple of little bottles.
that's exactly my point. i get ppl that cheap out on a screen altogether. i just wasn't sure why i'd spend the same amount on paint as it would cost for a cheap screen. unless it actually performs better of course.

you make some interesting points, i'm still not sold for my needs, i think it's only fair to compare to a fixed frame, which shouldn't warp. comparing a screen that rolls up to a wall, doesn't make sense since it's unlike both would be applicable options
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1321 posts
118 upvotes
Winnipeg
jjzzbb wrote:
Dec 18th, 2012 2:32 pm
fatestkid wrote:
Dec 18th, 2012 3:31 pm
I wouldn't worry about the age of the projector it is still relevant for 2D and the bulbs are cheap. New models won't gone on that big of a sale and add minimal benefit. If you can increase your budget then go for a DILA system from sony or JVC they are above LCD/DLP in picture quality but the bulbs are super expensive and you need a fairly dark room for them.
i'd agree with this. it's not the age of the product, it's the age of the tech. not much has changed with LCD projectors in two years. the changes are with new lighting tech's like LED and laser, etc. but they don't seem quite there yet. maybe another year and they will be a good option. so, depending on the model and price, i wouldn't stress out that it's not a 'new' projector. it's still using the same LCD/DLP tech, same bulb that won't last that long, etc.

there are of course some more subtle differences that could lead to improved performance. there's no gaurantee though, you'd have to judge that on a model by model basis.

side question related to this. anybody have experience with this 'wireless HDMI' that some epsom projectors have now? any lag/connections issues? it sounds like a sweet idea, but i already have the wires run, so if there are any performance problems i wouldn't go for it. but for new installs, it sounds like a heck of a good idea.
× < >