Tags:
None
Dec 18, 2006
335 posts
3 upvotes
Milton
kamascottra wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 4:22 pm
on the cheap: http://www.eastporters.com/estore/cart. ... gory_id=35 (also avail in white, and different gains)
medium: http://eastporters.com/estore/cart.php? ... gory_id=57
high quality: http://eastporters.com/estore/cart.php? ... gory_id=59

they also have audio transparent screens if that's needed as well.
I actually own the EluneVision Reference screen and it's great for the money. My last screen was a Da-Lite electric that I had long since sold. I just completed my basement and I needed a new screen to drop in front of my plasma.

I also agree with what others mentioned here. The screen is something that you'll keep longer then the projector so if you have the budget, look at a few options for the screen.

As for differences in tech (and noticing differences), I'll stay out of that one...
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1321 posts
118 upvotes
Winnipeg
EMAGDNIM wrote:
Dec 18th, 2012 10:09 pm
I actually own the EluneVision Reference screen and it's great for the money. My last screen was a Da-Lite electric that I had long since sold. I just completed my basement and I needed a new screen to drop in front of my plasma.

I also agree with what others mentioned here. The screen is something that you'll keep longer then the projector so if you have the budget, look at a few options for the screen.

As for differences in tech (and noticing differences), I'll stay out of that one...
i just wishe they had it in a grey screen. i've been less than thrilled with the blacks of my projector for awhile. to the point that i often watch movies on my 50" plasma instead of the 120" screen, especially 'dark' movies like say batman. the screen i have now was packaged in with the projector when i bought it, prefect basic white 1.0gain screen. i figured a grey screen would really help, but like you and others mentioned, the screen is a long term investment. and i already have something for the interim, so there's no rush, and no reason to buy anything but exactly what i need. i just find it so hard to buy anything that i can see in person. i did find a local retailer that has the black diamond screens on display, but i can't use a fixed panel right now and they don't make a roll up. so i continue my internal debate. cheap grey, expensive white, wait, do nothing?
Dec 30, 2011
240 posts
141 upvotes
NEPEAN
kamascottra wrote:
Dec 18th, 2012 10:41 pm
i just find it so hard to buy anything that i can see in person. i did find a local retailer that has the black diamond screens on display, but i can't use a fixed panel right now and they don't make a roll up. so i continue my internal debate. cheap grey, expensive white, wait, do nothing?
It does make it difficult no question. I never compared the goo vs the screens personally since it was impossible to find anywhere that I could see them side by side. Before I painted the wall with the goo, I just projected the picture against a yellow wall and I thought that looked good, lol. It really does come down to preference, budget, location and portability if needed. Getting a rich black is hard to achieve with any screen or paint but as you and the others mentioned, you get what you pay for so research is mandatory.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2772 posts
588 upvotes
kamascottra wrote:
i just wishe they had it in a grey screen. i've been less than thrilled with the blacks of my projector for awhile. to the point that i often watch movies on my 50" plasma instead of the 120" screen, especially 'dark' movies like say batman. the screen i have now was packaged in with the projector when i bought it, prefect basic white 1.0gain screen. i figured a grey screen would really help, but like you and others mentioned, the screen is a long term investment. and i already have something for the interim, so there's no rush, and no reason to buy anything but exactly what i need. i just find it so hard to buy anything that i can see in person. i did find a local retailer that has the black diamond screens on display, but i can't use a fixed panel right now and they don't make a roll up. so i continue my internal debate. cheap grey, expensive white, wait, do nothing?
What projector do you have? Are you controlling ambient light and reflected light because that will wash out your blacks.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2772 posts
588 upvotes
kamascottra wrote:
Dec 18th, 2012 3:53 pm
side question related to this. anybody have experience with this 'wireless HDMI' that some epsom projectors have now? any lag/connections issues? it sounds like a sweet idea, but i already have the wires run, so if there are any performance problems i wouldn't go for it. but for new installs, it sounds like a heck of a good idea.
I don't have experience with it but i read a review that said it worked fine.
Link

What’s particularly good about the Wireless HDMI system is that it actually works. It delivers a seemingly flawless Full HD picture with no loss of resolution, no obvious signs of compression, and during our three days of testing, not a single mid-film dropped connection - not even for a second.
Link

Very cool, and for those who have older theaters without HDMI wiring, a potential huge cost saver.

The system is lossless - that is, the picture quality should be every bit as good as when using expensive wiring.
Dec 2, 2007
859 posts
43 upvotes
Saskatchewan
I've been a projector user for a few years now and after a lot of research I went with White countertop laminate that was suggested by hardcore projector experts, I paid around 125-150 max if i recall correctly and it gives me a screen size of 12' x 8' if i want to use the entire size available. It's always looked absolutely great with the two projectors I've used and I never even bothered with any of the reflective screen paints.
Nov 29, 2004
255 posts
26 upvotes
Great discussion on screens and DIY painted walls. I think I'll end up going with a screen so hopefully someone will post a great quality screen deal soon.
As far as my contribution, if you're NEW to projectors, as I am, there are somethings to consider:
black levels, 3D quality, CIH (Constant Image Height= projector has ability to remove the black bars that are on normal Blu-rays so fills entire screen like theatre), colour accuracy, sharpness, and lastly gaming lag/shifting.
I have a great link from AVSforums that breaks down the 2012 projectors. I'll find a post shortly.
Nov 11, 2012
140 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
kamascottra wrote:
Dec 18th, 2012 3:53 pm
i'd agree with this. it's not the age of the product, it's the age of the tech. not much has changed with LCD projectors in two years. the changes are with new lighting tech's like LED and laser, etc. but they don't seem quite there yet. maybe another year and they will be a good option. so, depending on the model and price, i wouldn't stress out that it's not a 'new' projector. it's still using the same LCD/DLP tech, same bulb that won't last that long, etc.
As much as I'd want a nice projector, I'll wait until one of the newer technologies matures.
Nov 29, 2004
255 posts
26 upvotes
------------------------------------------------------------------------
****Coder's Projector Picks and Awards of 2012****
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Newly Updated 11/8/2012

A Choose your Own Projector Guide

====$2000+ Category=====

Sony hw50 = You want better blacks than the Benq w7000 and a more film-like image over the Epson 5010, while still maintaining a pretty good 3D experience. You watch enough 3D or Sports (or you are motion critical) but still want a film-like image, you also do enough lag-sensitive gaming as to justify not having e-shift 2 and losing the slightly darker blacks of the JVC, and you are not overly consumed on getting every last ounce of sharpness out of a projector. You do NOT need CIH / Lens Memory for 2.35 format screens (wide movie format).

Newer JVC's (RS46 / RS48/ RS56 / RS66) = You value 2D movies and black levels and sharpness over and beyond the JVC's below-average 3D quality and over other attributes. It is not known if 3D is improved yet this year, but we are going by last year's 3D image. Gaming lag is not a high priority and you are also NOT a fanatic at spotting issues in motion, you watch ONLY very occasional 3D and are not a 3D person in general, even when you watch 3D you are not mesmerized by the effect and do not care if another projector has better 3D. You do not really need an "Ambient Light" or brightest mode like some of the other PJ's have, but you only care more about calibrated lumens (some other PJ's are better for super giant screens for sure). It has Lens Memory if you need it.

Panny 8000 (this is more guessing based on the 7000) = You want CIH and better 3D than the JVC's (but you are still not as critical on 3D as other things), you want the lower gaming lag, but like the Sony you are not as OCD on the sharpness as some in here are. You may also appreciate or like the SmoothScreen tech for the more invisible pixel fill vs. the Epson (the Panny looks more LCOS like slightly), especially if you sit VERY close to the screen (say 1.1x or less screen width).

Epson 5020 / 6020 = You are a fan of LCD tech, you like an image that has a lot of POP in closeups (almost shimmering), but you do not need CIH or Lens Memory. You do want it a bit more naturally sharp than the Sony hw50es, but don't mind losing some of the smoother film-look compared to LCOS or the Panny. You like having a huge range in brightness for 3D and 2D, with good 3D quality, but you are not willing to sacrifice lower black levels of the Benq w7000 just to get purist 3D. You want the absolute best 3D experience that an LCD can give, but it is still a step below the Benq and DLP 3D.

Benq w7000 = You are a 3D purist, and you strive for the best 3D beyond all else even at the expense of some other positive attributes like black levels. You also love sharpness and MIGHT do some gaming, but do not care as much about black levels or the movie experience as you do about 3D, sharpness, Sports, TV, etc... This also works great for 3D in giant screens with an HP (the Sony and Epson do as well, but the Benq is the 3D purist projector except for blacks). No lens memory or CIH rescaling for 2.35 screens.

Mitsubishi hc8000 = We just don't know until it is reviewed in the shootout thread, this is the one I am anxiously waiting for the review of. Should have CIH for 2.35 screens to resize 16:9 with black-bars. Also, this projector will probably only work in calibrated modes for much smaller screens say 120" or less due to lower lumens even if you have some gain.

====Under $2000 Category=====

COMING SOON! (see awards section for various information on the sub-$2000 projectors until I update this section here)[/I][/I]

There are lots more

Credit goes to Coderguy on AVS Forums. These are just opinions and you should check out the awards section to see plenty of cheaper alternatives. Read comments for further information:
Link: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391476/coder ... ctor-picks
Feb 25, 2011
18 posts
12 upvotes
gzmajun wrote:
Dec 19th, 2012 2:01 am
two week ago, cyber Monday, NCIX has BenQ W1070 Home Theatre DLP Projector 3D Ready 1080p 10000:1 2000 ANSI Lumens 2XHDMI 1.4A
at $849. I believe that was the best deal so far.
and
Right now, NCIX has BenQ W7000 3D 1080p DLP Projector 2000 ANSI 50000:1 HQV Lens Shift
at $1799. I think it is good price but a little bit over my budget.

what you guys think?
I paid about $1700 taxes in a month ago for this projector... And I regret ever since. This projector is known for having Iris problems. It will close and force you to restart the projector. Sometimes fixes the problem, sometimes you lose 30 minutes trying to turn your projector on. BenQ will replace if new, but after 30 days only repair/refurbish, and after 1 year, your out of luck.

I would stay away. I'm thinking about selling mine when I get it from BenQ.
Dec 18, 2006
335 posts
3 upvotes
Milton
kamascottra wrote:
I heard that. I actually spent a lot of time searching for a screen. I went for various demo's throughout the GTA before I settled on one to match up to my JVC DLA-RS55.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1321 posts
118 upvotes
Winnipeg
fatestkid wrote:
Dec 19th, 2012 12:26 am
What projector do you have? Are you controlling ambient light and reflected light because that will wash out your blacks.
epson hc720: http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/p ... inema_720/

room is in the basement with no windows, but the ceiling is white(all walls dark).

my problem isn't that ambient light is washing out the blacks, my problem is that a solid black screen lights up my otherwise pitch black room...
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1321 posts
118 upvotes
Winnipeg
6870RFD wrote:
Dec 19th, 2012 1:23 pm
As much as I'd want a nice projector, I'll wait until one of the newer technologies matures.
20000hr lamp life will definitely be a huge deal. i'm also planning on waiting for one. but i have a 720p projector now to keep me busy until that happens. it'll be nice to not worry at all about bulb life though. hopefully they don't take too much longer. i've read some reviews on a couple very promising early models already
× < >