• Dec 29th, 2012 2:08 am
Tags:
None
Jan 29, 2005
74 posts
2 upvotes
tiburonic wrote:
Dec 19th, 2012 1:49 pm
I paid about $1700 taxes in a month ago for this projector... And I regret ever since. This projector is known for having Iris problems. It will close and force you to restart the projector. Sometimes fixes the problem, sometimes you lose 30 minutes trying to turn your projector on. BenQ will replace if new, but after 30 days only repair/refurbish, and after 1 year, your out of luck.

I would stay away. I'm thinking about selling mine when I get it from BenQ.
Where did you buy the w7000? $1700 all in was great!
Is the Iris problem normal for this w7000?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2782 posts
591 upvotes
kamascottra wrote:
Dec 19th, 2012 7:24 pm
epson hc720: http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/p ... inema_720/

room is in the basement with no windows, but the ceiling is white(all walls dark).

my problem isn't that ambient light is washing out the blacks, my problem is that a solid black screen lights up my otherwise pitch black room...
Does your project have Iris control? or maybe just turn down the brightness? Also for making your ceiling black you could get fabric from fabric land. I got the fabric that they put behind the couches for $10. Enough to cover ceiling and two walls. I am going out to buy another run to make it double width.

Your walls shouldn't be doing much damage since they are dark so you need to take care of floor and ceiling. If your projector is just lighting up your room that is okay, as long as its not reflecting.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2782 posts
591 upvotes
kamascottra wrote:
Dec 19th, 2012 7:28 pm
20000hr lamp life will definitely be a huge deal. i'm also planning on waiting for one. but i have a 720p projector now to keep me busy until that happens. it'll be nice to not worry at all about bulb life though. hopefully they don't take too much longer. i've read some reviews on a couple very promising early models already
What models and what are the costs?
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1321 posts
118 upvotes
Winnipeg
fatestkid wrote:
Dec 20th, 2012 12:57 am
Does your project have Iris control? or maybe just turn down the brightness? Also for making your ceiling black you could get fabric from fabric land. I got the fabric that they put behind the couches for $10. Enough to cover ceiling and two walls. I am going out to buy another run to make it double width.

Your walls shouldn't be doing much damage since they are dark so you need to take care of floor and ceiling. If your projector is just lighting up your room that is okay, as long as its not reflecting.
it does have iris control, and it sucks. i have it turned off. the picture is calibrated, turning down the brightness only ruins the image more. it's not that the settings are out of whack, it's that the base 'black' of the projector is pretty bright on a white screen. i feel a grey screen will help that quite a bit. even if i turn the brightness to 0, and contrast to 0 and put up a 'black' screen, it's way brighter than i'd like it to be. my room is lit up like there's a full moon

can't do anything about the ceiling, i really don't think it's the problem though. as you said, it's more of an issue if it's reflecting back on the screen.
Jul 25, 2012
594 posts
11 upvotes
LALA LAND
wonder if the optoma hd33 will go on sale.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2782 posts
591 upvotes
kamascottra wrote:
Dec 20th, 2012 11:29 am
it does have iris control, and it sucks. i have it turned off. the picture is calibrated, turning down the brightness only ruins the image more. it's not that the settings are out of whack, it's that the base 'black' of the projector is pretty bright on a white screen. i feel a grey screen will help that quite a bit. even if i turn the brightness to 0, and contrast to 0 and put up a 'black' screen, it's way brighter than i'd like it to be. my room is lit up like there's a full moon

can't do anything about the ceiling, i really don't think it's the problem though. as you said, it's more of an issue if it's reflecting back on the screen.
My room is lit up as well because of my projectors lumens. Mine is not even a high lumen projector, only 1000 (but true 1000). The DIY paint I used has silver mixed into it and even though my room just light up with the projector the colours are not washed out. It looks better than both of my 4 and 5 year old LCDs that I recently sold. Also the paint actually goes on white, so you could potentially increase the ratio of the silver and make it even better for yourself.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2782 posts
591 upvotes
kamascottra wrote:
Dec 20th, 2012 11:32 am
i believe this was the review i saw: http://www.projectorcentral.com/viewson ... review.htm

it's close, but not quite there yet. just makes me hopeful for a decent, sub 2000 projector with 'lifetime' bulb life.
Thanks, I guess in two years when I retire the JVC, this technology will be mature enough to invest it :D
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1321 posts
118 upvotes
Winnipeg
fatestkid wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 11:07 am
Thanks, I guess in two years when I retire the JVC, this technology will be mature enough to invest it :D
that's what i'm hoping for!
Dec 24, 2010
146 posts
96 upvotes
I got the benq W1070 in Black Friday sale and couldn't be happier with my purchase.
Those who have patience to read through 30+ pages of comments here is the Avsforum link.
It was on promo at $849 it's been at $949 to $999 since. Looks like many purchased and like it. If they put it on sale again in boxing week probably the best all around value for a 3D projector. Very long lamp life too...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435626/benq- ... t-for-1000
Mar 30, 2007
437 posts
21 upvotes
Was looking into an epson 5020 and saw this:

"Epson distributes Home Cinema products only through authorized channels. A reseller called Eastporters.ca offers Epson Home Cinema products online, but it is not an Epson authorized reseller. In some cases, it has been found to sell Epson products from other geographic regions into Canada, potentially leaving customers without proper documentation, warranty or support for the product in Canada."

http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/jsp ... 1H527020-F

what do u guys think?
Dec 15, 2006
278 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga,ON
No deal for projector so far......
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
1404 posts
149 upvotes
What about the Epson 3020 at fs/bb for $1249 on boxing day? Retails in the US for $1499.
Dec 15, 2006
278 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga,ON
olp79 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 10:33 am
What about the Epson 3020 at fs/bb for $1249 on boxing day? Retails in the US for $1499.
No lens shift is the dealbreaker for me.
× < >