• Dec 26th, 2012 1:58 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 11, 2012
19 posts
Montreal
wwedx wrote:
Dec 19th, 2012 9:05 pm
I would wait untill you see the walmart and BB/FS flyer before saying this.
Don't hold your breath.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2008
1177 posts
29 upvotes
Sarnia
MikeAK wrote:
Dec 19th, 2012 8:06 pm
I agree, Scott. It's been about 10years since the good ol A&B Sound crazy boxing day sales. Gone are those days. I also agree with you about the online shopping from BB/FS. While the deals are nowhere near as good as they use to be. At least we can cherry pick those few items online and sleep in boxing day.

That brings back memories,,, A&B Sound Vancouver back in the 70's and early 80's.
Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding. Proverbs 17;28
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
1211 posts
133 upvotes
Brooklin
Because of the growing Black Friday sales in Canada, Boxing Day discounts are expected to decrease.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
6233 posts
444 upvotes
Victoria
us3r wrote:
Dec 20th, 2012 3:19 pm
Because of the growing Black Friday sales in Canada, Boxing Day discounts are expected to decrease.
What Black Friday deals? The retailers in Canada took their regular sales and relabeled them as black friday sales. There's no shifting of anything. Boxing Day sales have gone downhill for about 10 years now. It's got nothing to do with Black Friday in Canada. Black Friday in Canada is almost a bigger farce than Boxing Day in Canada.

Boxing Day in Canada used to be more like the USA's current Black Friday. Huge discounts, wicked deals etc.... I guess with the lack of competition the retailers kind of stopped trying. We don't have anything like Black Friday in Canada any more.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2007
1061 posts
252 upvotes
pkguy wrote:
Dec 20th, 2012 3:15 pm
That brings back memories,,, A&B Sound Vancouver back in the 70's and early 80's.
No doubt. Even into the 90's. I can remember back in the day when you would literally have to line up in the afternoon on Xmas day just to get into A&B Sound on BD. Good times back then because it was actually a social event..lol
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1942 posts
334 upvotes
zod wrote:
Dec 20th, 2012 7:07 pm
What Black Friday deals? The retailers in Canada took their regular sales and relabeled them as black friday sales. There's no shifting of anything. Boxing Day sales have gone downhill for about 10 years now. It's got nothing to do with Black Friday in Canada. Black Friday in Canada is almost a bigger farce than Boxing Day in Canada.

Boxing Day in Canada used to be more like the USA's current Black Friday. Huge discounts, wicked deals etc.... I guess with the lack of competition the retailers kind of stopped trying. We don't have anything like Black Friday in Canada any more.
What he said.
Dec 22, 2008
598 posts
106 upvotes
Vancouver
I think the RFD community is responsible for the ***** sales. All of our price matching, phone call stock checks, etc. We finally drove them too far...
Apr 23, 2007
88 posts
15 upvotes
I did my shopping exclusively online for a few years but for the last 2 years I've found that the better deals are actually in store. Last year I bought 2 pairs of chinos at Banana Republic for $15 each and managed to get a good deal on a Samsung LED tv at Costco. There was also an amazing deal on a Marantz receiver either last year or the year before, I think it was at kromer radio, again it was in store only. Anyhow, the deals have definitely been few and far between.
Oct 1, 2005
484 posts
90 upvotes
Boxing Day hasn't been good for about 5 years now. It's 100% hype now. You can always find as good or better deals at any other time during the year. I got some decent stuff on black friday...well "black weekend"... IIRC it wasn't even on black friday when I got them.

The term "door crasher" is used way too liberally now.... people seem to forget what door crasher used to mean. Door crashers to me are when stuff is like 80-90% off.

There are isolated crazy hot deals, but you find those outside boxing day anyway. As long as you keep an eye on hot deals forum you will catch things. I'm going to enjoy x-mas eve with the family this year and not F5-spam sales I know will suck anyway.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2010
2018 posts
171 upvotes
If it's not already dead, it's definitely dying and on life support. Anyone coming into this thread saying otherwise is in complete denial. Boxing day was always about finding great deals. Now, these deals pale in comparison to regular deals you can find throughout the year. Hell, sometimes you can find things cheaper during the year before boxing day. Just because many shoppers are suckers doesn't make what's being said false.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
4997 posts
260 upvotes
Kanata
Yes, it turns out US Black Friday >>> Canada Black Friday > Canada Boxing day
Oct 28, 2012
16 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga
Cas77 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2012 2:35 pm
Oh nice the annual boxing day is dead thread celebrating it's 10 year anniversary. I was wondering when this would show up, it's usually after 5 flyers are posted but for some reason this year it was more like 10 flyers. This thread organically grows in parallel with the negative comments in individual sales threads. (i.e. "wallet safe", "Not hot", etc...). Then come Dec 24th at 7pm you will see the birth of the annual "I hate Future Shop" thread when their servers inexplicably fail under the web traffic load created by....who knows right..not like there were any deals?! Everyone complained about the dealless deals so it's definitely not RFDers crashing the sites.

Wait, who is crashing these sites then? Riiiight it's the thousands of RFDers posting in these store sale threads they first bitched and moaned about, making them grow to thousands and thousands of posts such as:
"Item X has finally been restocked"
"I managed to pick up a X"
"Order Confirmed"
"How long did it take you to get the confirmation email?"
"I managed to pick up X, Y & Z"
"They were out of X so I guess I'm lining up at 5am on the 26th (insert sad face of choice)"

So there you have it folks...a summary of every boxing day for the last 10 years. Don't believe me? Head to the archives to read the long version for a great laugh.

From a retailer standpoint; if it ain't broken then don't try to fix it.
You have too much time on your hands
Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2012
9993 posts
1635 upvotes
Montreal
I know this sounds cliche but this really is the 'worst boxing day sales ever'.

I went through all the flyers and didn't see one thing that caught my eye. where are the true doorcrashers like 10 dollar aaa games? those were there even last year. what about the 299 brand name 39"+ tvs like last year's samsung deal?

this is just terrible and I doubt I will be spending a cent this boxing day.
× < >