Boxing day deals advice?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2004 10:45 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 2, 2003
555 posts
Scarborough, ON
Carnage wrote:Just find some online deals and place your order from the warmth of your own home.

Most boxing day sales are attended by the lowest of the lows. And most of the door crashers are on sub par items that they couldn't get rid of. Why waste your time fighting over cheap merchandise?

It's not worth the effort as far as I'm concerned. If I want something I'll just buy it online. Way too stressful fighting through the masses.
I agree with you totally. However there are still number of people feel not comfortable to give out their credit card number on-line. Also, they want the feel and hold the product right-a-way and don't want to wait for the shipping.
----------------(;゚∀゚)...I am not Anime Otoko,---------------
Now Watching: Naruto, Accel World, Fate/Zero, Gundam Age,
Hyouka, Natsuiro Kiseki, Nazo no Kanojo X, Acchi Kocchi, Sankarea,
Kore wa zombie desuka of the Dead, ZETMAN, Sket Dance & more...

----------------I am RFD Otoko......\(^o^)/--------------------
Jul 10, 2003
637 posts
49 upvotes
for those of us who are planning on purchasing a new tv what do you guys suggest? i doubt they'll sell out but i mean should we rush down there to get the tv's before everyone else or just wait because 90% of people are just buying sub $2000 items?
Dec 16, 2004
532 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Carnage wrote:Just find some online deals and place your order from the warmth of your own home.

Most boxing day sales are attended by the lowest of the lows. And most of the door crashers are on sub par items that they couldn't get rid of. Why waste your time fighting over cheap merchandise?

It's not worth the effort as far as I'm concerned. If I want something I'll just buy it online. Way too stressful fighting through the masses.
ohh, come on! Isnt spending 4 hours in line at -20C, to save $10-15 bucks on a $100 dollar item that you don't really need, worth it?
Rar.
Dec 16, 2004
532 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Rawker wrote:for those of us who are planning on purchasing a new tv what do you guys suggest? i doubt they'll sell out but i mean should we rush down there to get the tv's before everyone else or just wait because 90% of people are just buying sub $2000 items?
Err, dude, if you are ready to spend $2000+ on a TV, dont just go to a store and buy the one with the shiniest sign saying "2 gillion % off".

First find what you'd like, size and so forth, then find out which models in those sizes the retailers have, then read plenty of reviews online, check out forums like AVS, and then follow the store prices for some time, to get a feel for what the TV is really worth. Only then will you know if you are getting a good deal on boxingday.

I got KP46WT520 which Sonystyle has for $2,199.99 for $1699 at futureshop. Not a great price, but a price I am happy with. TV has DVI in, and supports 720p (upconverts it to 1080i). I use this TV for my HTPC/Concole games, and love it.
Rar.
Jul 10, 2003
637 posts
49 upvotes
t10 wrote:Err, dude, if you are ready to spend $2000+ on a TV, dont just go to a store and buy the one with the shiniest sign saying "2 gillion % off".

First find what you'd like, size and so forth, then find out which models in those sizes the retailers have, then read plenty of reviews online, check out forums like AVS, and then follow the store prices for some time, to get a feel for what the TV is really worth. Only then will you know if you are getting a good deal on boxingday.

I got KP46WT520 which Sonystyle has for $2,199.99 for $1699 at futureshop. Not a great price, but a price I am happy with. TV has DVI in, and supports 720p (upconverts it to 1080i). I use this TV for my HTPC/Concole games, and love it.
well i have been researching for the past 4 months, my question was should i be there early for this sort of purchase or will these items be around for the whole day that i don't need to be down there waiting for the doors to open.
Apr 16, 2003
233 posts
5 upvotes
rawker.

I am sure with a purchase like that you could get one of the guys/gals in that department to handle it all for you before hand.

Dangle extended warrenty infront of their faces... And state your expactations.

As it will be busy that day. Would it not be better for you to have it all set up before hand.

Perhaps delivery on the 27th or 28th.

:)

Good luck.

And it does not hurt to go in before hand and ask, I am sure that the FF employees will be willing to hear you out and offer suggestions.
Jul 10, 2003
637 posts
49 upvotes
the biggest thing i'm worried about is if they carry the stand(s) that go with each tv or if they just have generic ones. The other thing i'm worried about is if another store will have a better deal. I'm going to go on friday (because flyers will be out then) and see which stores carry which stands and what type of deal i can expect.

2001 audio video has free rogers box/12 months programming, and stands included in a few of their tv's but not the one i'm looking at getting.

FS has free rogers box/12 months programming but i'm not sure about the stand situation.

Those are the two that i'm watching, unless i find out on friday that BB is the only one that carries the stand for the tv that i want.

I currently have 4 or 5 that i'm considering and all of them ranked depending on what the prices are. I want the 43" panasonic rp lcd but no one seems to carry the stand online (not sure about instore) which is why i'm going to check on friday if any of the 3 stores carry the stand that goes with it. I'm also going to be buying a DVD player, matching brand of the tv that i finally decide on. I have a full size commercial work van that i'll be taking because i'm not going to wait around from them to deliver because i've done that before and it doesn't work out with my work schedule.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2003
4131 posts
59 upvotes
Cambridge
The limited quantity part of the deal makes it less of a deal to me when you consider it's more like a lottery when you get in the store. If you are buying something that normally costs $1000+ then it's probably worthwhile to play that lottery. Or if you don't consider your time worth anything.

My strategy is to go to a smaller town (less than 100,000 pop) where the crowds are less and so your chances of winning are higher. The town I usually go to is less than 50,000 and the lineup last year was 6 including me and my buddy.

The really good electronics deals are if any private-owned or small-chain stores are open and they don't take out a 6-page flyer telling everyone. Then you can buy end-of-line or overstocked stuff at a good discount.

If you are going to brave the masses of T.O. Futureshops then as ugly as it is, the arrive-just-in-time-and-crash-in-the-mayhem is the winning way to go. I've never done it, but I have had it happen to me (that's why I went the small-town route). The opposing strategy is if you see you are screwed by the line-crashers, then take at least one down with you.....be imaginative you'll think of something that won't get you in jail. For instance yell at them like they are a friend, this will stall them and may let you advance as the crowd thinks you are together. Or maybe yell that they dropped their wallet or cell phone. Oh I am bitter, sorry.

Once you are in and getting frustrated by the crowd and lack of availability of the item you wanted to get, don't forget to look at the monkeys at the camera cage for amusement. The area of cameras can get 3 shoppers deep all reaching over each other's shoulders while the sales reps rake in the dough. It's really pretty funny.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6288 posts
9 upvotes
Waterloo
I doubt $2000 TV's are going to sell out at any point in the day. ;)

To be honest I don't think boxing day is really that good of a time to buy an expensive TV. The majority of boxing day deals are on cheaper stuff they need to get rid of.

With something like a TV you really should be able to go in on any other day and haggle them down to a similar price that you would find on boxing day. Just never settle for the asking price at a big box store. They will drop prices if you push them hard enough.
Nov 22, 2004
652 posts
Anyone that has worked retail knows there really are no deals.... Especially on boxingday...
Jul 10, 2003
637 posts
49 upvotes
well the tv's i've been watching over the past while have been on sale however after looking at the boxing day price (from the scans of BB/FS flyers) it is lower then the lowest price that i have seen and includes a free stand so to say that because you work in retail that these items are not really on sale is ridiculous.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2002
2953 posts
10 upvotes
Wildfire wrote:1.) Rent "Jingle All the Way"
2.) Watch Arnold vs. Sinbad
3.) Take notes
4.) Keep Elbows High
5.) If deseperate, don't be afraid to take a hostage
Add watching the Ukraine mayhem to the list. :lol:

Does the RFD forums support cellphones? I got the $4 Motorola from Bell with 2 months of free surfing, so I think I can check up on RFD while I am in the store. :lol: I tried but the I couldn't read any of the threads. :( Is there a special WAP version or text only version for cellphones?

I am going to go around 10 and see what is left over. Don't want to line up in the cold and have to wake up early.
May 22, 2004
36 posts
I'm planning on purchasing a tv on boxing day. Future shop has a Sony 42" plasma that I may get. To be honest, I haven't done any research, only enough to know the differences in some features etc. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to worry about quality when buying a larger name brand....Does this TV look like a good deal?

Also, they have a Samsung 42" projection...any thoughts on this one?

It says that there are only 200 chainwide for the sony....do you think I need to line up? can I purchase online? :o
Apr 21, 2003
548 posts
17 upvotes
Winterpeg
This plasma has good reviews, actually.

SO my question is, do the B&M stores actually have the TV's in their store (ie, I can put it in the back of my truck and drive home with it) or do I have to wait for their delivery truck to ship it from their warehouse? I managed to order one online during the insanity last nite, but if I can avoid the 3 week wait for delivery by buying at a B&M, I'll cancel my online order..

Anyone have experience in this department?