Shopping Discussion

Boxing day limited quantity items

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2004 11:51 pm
Nov 27, 2004
121 posts
15 upvotes

Boxing day limited quantity items

On boxing day, there are many items on sale that have limited quantities. I like how some stores handle it in a civilized way. These stores hand out coupons to each customer (from the beginning of the line) until they are out of coupons for the limited quantity items. Then take the coupons to get the items and when paying for it at the cashier. I like this approach and prevents pushing and shoving in the store to get those items. Besides, I think this make the store look good because of their well organization and fewer grumpy customers that lined up since x hours before opening.

On the other hand, there are some stores that just let people rush in and race for the limited quantity items. The sight of a horde of people pushing, shoving and making a mess of everything else reminds me of a zoo. I think this makes the store unprofessional looking and lack of organization.

What were some of your boxing day experiences with line-ups and how the stores handle the limited quantity items?
20 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10598 posts
4849 upvotes
Burnaby
For FS/Staples at least, every time they have a grand opening, it's all coupon based.
Which is good. Hopefully they'll do the same for boxing day, but i doubt it.
Feb 4, 2004
281 posts
47 upvotes
So here is a theorhetical question for those vets around here. If I wanted to get something that the flyer says there are only like 10-15 per store at BEST BUY, how early should I be getting there?

Thanks
"Son, when you participate in sporting events, its not whether you win or lose, its how drunk you get."
H. Simpson
Dec 14, 2004
779 posts
17 upvotes
Mox wrote:So here is a theorhetical question for those vets around here. If I wanted to get something that the flyer says there are only like 10-15 per store at BEST BUY, how early should I be getting there?

Thanks
Well I always stand outside the store at 5 pm, thats right, 5 pm. I've always been the first one for the last 7 years.
Aug 16, 2004
653 posts
180 upvotes
Vancouver
jay_bionic wrote:Well I always stand outside the store at 5 pm, thats right, 5 pm. I've always been the first one for the last 7 years.
WHOA! That's crazy! :cheesygri
you damn well deserve it then! :lol:
Feb 4, 2004
281 posts
47 upvotes
LOL yea man thats dedication. Im thinking a few hours 2-3 before opening. Would I have any chance to get a 10 per store item?
"Son, when you participate in sporting events, its not whether you win or lose, its how drunk you get."
H. Simpson
Sep 1, 2004
399 posts
Mox wrote:LOL yea man thats dedication. Im thinking a few hours 2-3 before opening. Would I have any chance to get a 10 per store item?
I doubt it.. I arrived at FS 2 hours before opening a few years back and I was at least 100th in line.
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10598 posts
4849 upvotes
Burnaby
10 per store item except to start at 3 am or so... my friend got the 8th item (coupon # listed) out of a 10 per store camera.
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
jay_bionic wrote:Well I always stand outside the store at 5 pm, thats right, 5 pm. I've always been the first one for the last 7 years.
------

well if ur THAT DESPERATE for the item... then yes... go camp out the day b4 the sale starts... u deserve it....

i remember last yr i came about 1 1/2 hrs b4 store opened.... and i was like the 100 th person in line... boy were ppl crazy about it..... but lucky me i saw a friend lining up 1st in line!.... so i'm like "hey,... u must've gotten here like 3 hrs b4 i did!" and he told me that he came at 3 am.... wow.... !.... so i was lucky that i "budged" in and was able 2 get in front of 100 ppl and was the 2nd in line :lol: :lol:
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2004
12143 posts
2762 upvotes
Guelph
MtX wrote:lol.. this aint even the IKEA free chair give away and you camp out 5pm day before?
i remember that dude, he was there like 2pm the day before, didnt he have a bbq to heat stuff to eat? i saw some other dudes with laptops watching dvds to kill time.
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 200+ and counting. RFD Feedback 71-0-0 and counting. Koodo Member
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4797 posts
239 upvotes
Austin/Markham
um.....its December, so.... er...isn't it friggin cold outside? to stand outside OVERNIGHT for a boxing day door crasher, they'd have to B giving it for free to put up with that kinda abuse...
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
4070 posts
711 upvotes
Toronto
What really sucks is that if it was a week ago, I'd be willing to go around 4 or 5AM, but considering how fast and how sudden it got cold, I doubt I will. last week it was 0 degrees and barely went negative, now its like -20
Nov 27, 2004
121 posts
15 upvotes
Wow, that's some dedication to get the items you want! More than 12 hours in the cold? Any tips on how you last that long in the cold? The most I've been was 2 hours in the cold at office depot for a hp printer....hehehe.

Will best buy have the first 100 people in line to be entered into a draw for $20,000 (if I remember correctly from previous years) ?
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
Geologic wrote:What really sucks is that if it was a week ago, I'd be willing to go around 4 or 5AM, but considering how fast and how sudden it got cold, I doubt I will. last week it was 0 degrees and barely went negative, now its like -20
----------------

lol... depends on location man.... yah... toronto does have crappy weather during winter... i've noticed for the last 2 years.... and 4 some reason BC always has good weather... seriously, i live in alberta... and whenever we have snowfall... they like almost always (>90%) have RAINFALL!......

oh yeah.. btw.. last year i came 1 1/2 hr b4 store opened and it was just 0 deg. C, i think.... no rainfall/snowfall.... except maybe little windchill.... :D so depending on location, diff weather of course! luckily no crap weather 4 me last yr during boxing day... i'm hoping 4 da same this year!
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2003
1325 posts
35 upvotes
Just seems like a complete waste of time. With RFD, I've always managed to get great sales all year around. For example, I went to an electronics sale a couple of weeks ago where everything in store was cost+5%, the only catch was that the prices weren't listed, you just had to ask. I didn't find anything that I wanted because I'd seen everything there at similar prices on sale (like the HK AVR130 which was 399 a couple of months ago at FS, was 414).

Now, maybe, I'm sometimes paying a LITTLE bit more, but still, I'll gladly pay a little bit more than have to put up with the crowds and the chaos. Boxing day is great for people who aren't "professional shoppers" (a nicer way of describing those of us that Best Buy would rather not have as customers). They go out, find a pretty good deal with what they want, and they have something, but the 5 hours they've lost has to be worth something.

But the worst is that stores use the limited quantity loss leaders to scam the public into buying lots of things that aren't really as cheap as you can find them at other times, especially where electronics are concerned. Sad part is that most people don't even get the really cheap stuff.

my 2 cents...
Deal Addict
May 20, 2003
4095 posts
1691 upvotes
Toni wrote:Wow, that's some dedication to get the items you want! More than 12 hours in the cold? Any tips on how you last that long in the cold?
A few years ago, Future Shop in Montreal posted in the newspaper that they open at 1am (if I remember this info correctly) on Boxing Day by error and there were actually people lining up at the store at 1am. I saw it on the news. These people were bundled up like the Michelin tire and some people even had a tent set up to protect them from the cold. Well, I guess you may as well set a camp fire to keep yourself warm :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
7432 posts
2245 upvotes
Etobicoke
The big lines outsides stores generate lots of media coverage, hence lots of hot air and free advertising.

And a lot of stores rely on hot air to sell stuff to people who don't really need it but bought it because of hype.

Just look at eating worms. It's really gross (I'd rather eat dogs). But media generate lots of hype so more and more ppl are willing to pay to try. Gives a good boost to the economy.
Mar 30, 2004
466 posts
6 upvotes
mahjongmaniac wrote:i remember last yr i came about 1 1/2 hrs b4 store opened.... and i was like the 100 th person in line... boy were ppl crazy about it..... but lucky me i saw a friend lining up 1st in line!.... so i'm like "hey,... u must've gotten here like 3 hrs b4 i did!" and he told me that he came at 3 am.... wow.... !.... so i was lucky that i "budged" in and was able 2 get in front of 100 ppl and was the 2nd in line :lol: :lol:
can't believe people brag about stuff like this...