Parenting & Family

Boy threw big tantrum on registration day at school..( Report card in Feb ...All good now..)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2017 7:32 am
Tags:
None
Feb 25, 2015
681 posts
127 upvotes
York Region
Asker123 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 7:25 pm
Update

Got report card day before yesterday.
Boy came out with flying colors.not a single line of negative comments from the teacher. Only good things.
What's the conclusion? Teachers at the end are govt workers. Inefficient to the extent that without giving the kid a fair chance they were trying to force him to be treated by doctors( just so that they don't have to take any trouble whatsoever ) Thanks to our pedetrican who refused to do any assessment before giving the boy min 6 months.
With proper work at home and with time ( and grace of God) my boy did just fine.
I can't find it right now but I had read an article on the lines of " Are we trying to treat boyhood?"
So true.....
If I find that article I will post.
Thx for all ur help ...
It's great that you feel there is nothing wrong with your son but to say that teachers just want to wash their hands of "problems" is inaccurate, ignorant and disturbing. Being assessed is the best thing that can happen for children, and if teachers were pushing for it was probably because they saw a need for it, not because they don't want to deal with your kid. Honestly, the only problems I see here are:

1) I'd be finding another doctor as yours sounds completely incompetent
2) the fact that you think God magically had something to do with "healing" YOUR child when 1000s of other kids struggle and suffer everyday
3) the ignorant and iccurate views you have about teachers and the entire education profession
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
2951 posts
165 upvotes
Asker123 wrote:
Update

Boy came out with flying colors.not a single line of negative comments from the teacher. Only good things.
What's the conclusion? Teachers at the end are govt workers. Inefficient to the extent that without giving the kid a fair chance they were trying to force him to be treated by doctors( just so that they don't have to take any trouble whatsoever ) Thanks to our pedetrican who refused to do any assessment before giving the boy min 6 months.
With proper work at home and with time ( and grace of God) my boy did just fine.
I can't find it right now but I had read an article on the lines of " Are we trying to treat boyhood?"
So true.....
If I find that article I will post.
Thx for all ur help ...
What an incredibly ignorant blanket statement you made regarding teachers. There are good ones and bad ones and I would say most try to do the best with what they're taught or given. Your kid is not the only one in the class, they have to deal with other kids as well. My kid just started JK last year and after going to one of his classes, my respect for teachers have increased 10 fold.
Are you a new parent and looking for freebies for your newborn, go here:
Freebies for your Newborn
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5639 posts
680 upvotes
Mississauga
Glad your son is doing better. He probably needed to get socialized with others. Sometimes kids won't listen to their parents, but have no problem behaving for their teachers.

It's good to sign kids up for sports and other group activities, so they learn discipline and to get along with others.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3268 posts
769 upvotes
Toronto
I'm actually wondering if the OP's child is reacting positively to actual discipline and routine since it sounds like he gets very little at home - his 'naughty" behaviour is considered adorable by his doting mother and likely, by his father - attributable to how God made him. At school, he's socializing in a welcoming and positive learning environment created by a teacher who cares about his wellbeing. He sounds like a smart kid, of course he'll thrive in that environment.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
405 upvotes
Concord, ON
Can definitely see where the kid gets his behaviour problems from based on ops posts and follow-up...Everyone's fault but their own and a bit of sky magic to explain the rest
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1664 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga
Asker123 wrote:
Update

Just something to consider.....teachers can't write outwardly "negative comments" on report cards. They need to frame them as "next steps" or use positive language, thus sometimes you have to read between the lines to interpret what's going on.

e.g. My daughter (in JK) continually misplaces her stuff (gloves, hat) at school. Her report card comment was "Child XYZ is encouraged to place her belongings in her cubby so she can find them when required later on in the day". It's not a "negative comment", but it is definitely an area where improvement is required. You're not going to see a comment that says "Child XYZ doesn't know how to take care of her crap" <- which is the actual observation :)
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15825 posts
1782 upvotes
Asker123 wrote:
You should be worried if there is not a single area of improvement, definitely look at the report card with a critical eye.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
1723 posts
257 upvotes
jandumm wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 2:29 pm

Just something to consider.....teachers can't write outwardly "negative comments" on report cards. They need to frame them as "next steps" or use positive language, thus sometimes you have to read between the lines to interpret what's going on.

e.g. My daughter (in JK) continually misplaces her stuff (gloves, hat) at school. Her report card comment was "Child XYZ is encouraged to place her belongings in her cubby so she can find them when required later on in the day". It's not a "negative comment", but it is definitely an area where improvement is required. You're not going to see a comment that says "Child XYZ doesn't know how to take care of her crap" <- which is the actual observation :)
coolspot wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 4:00 pm
You should be worried if there is not a single area of improvement.
Well, if you go back in the thread and see where I am coming from, you will see that I am not commenting on such things like "Child XYZ is encouraged to place her belongings in her cubby". Our situation was more serious than this.

On the first day we go to the school to register ( Remember this was in April to register the kid) we being told to see a doctor...
One week after in the orientation program they checked again ... did we go see the doctor.....
We did talk to doctor after this reminder( anyways it was only one week earlier when we first time heard it )
First few months ( Sep /Oct ) constant reminders to see the doctor even after telling them the doctor told that she will not do any assessment without giving the boy 6 months as he never before go to a day care, teachers kept on insisting that we get it done. We told them pls go ahead and talk to pediatrician ( who had told that she was willing to talk to the teachers). They never did...

So seems like the pediatrician did have the foresight and research available to her rather than the teachers who were trying to force him to medical practitioners to handle...

Here is the link I was talking about ..."Are we trying to treat boyhood"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... /?page=all

Seems like the teachers teaching patience ( among many other good things) had no patience themselves...

I am not saying teachers are bad or anything of such sort ( Trust me I have nothing against them. I am a son of a teacher myself but he never taught JKG though lol...) They do their job but I hold my right to criticize them as well.

At this rate they will send all the energetic kids to doctors to get them labeled with ADHD and work with cool kids sitting silently in classes...right.. Easy life it seems...

I am considering this thread complete ( from my perspective) and will not be replying anything else in this thread. Thx everyone...
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2149 posts
671 upvotes
Asker123 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 4:31 pm
Well, if you go back in the thread and see where I am coming from, you will see that I am not commenting on such things like "Child XYZ is encouraged to place her belongings in her cubby". Our situation was more serious than this.

On the first day we go to the school to register ( Remember this was in April to register the kid) we being told to see a doctor...
One week after in the orientation program they checked again ... did we go see the doctor.....
We did talk to doctor after this reminder( anyways it was only one week earlier when we first time heard it )
First few months ( Sep /Oct ) constant reminders to see the doctor even after telling them the doctor told that she will not do any assessment without giving the boy 6 months as he never before go to a day care, teachers kept on insisting that we get it done. We told them pls go ahead and talk to pediatrician ( who had told that she was willing to talk to the teachers). They never did...

So seems like the pediatrician did have the foresight and research available to her rather than the teachers who were trying to force him to medical practitioners to handle...

Here is the link I was talking about ..."Are we trying to treat boyhood"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... /?page=all

Seems like the teachers teaching patience ( among many other good things) had no patience themselves...

I am not saying teachers are bad or anything of such sort ( Trust me I have nothing against them. I am a son of a teacher myself but he never taught JKG though lol...) They do their job but I hold my right to criticize them as well.

At this rate they will send all the energetic kids to doctors to get them labeled with ADHD and work with cool kids sitting silently in classes...right.. Easy life it seems...

I am considering this thread complete ( from my perspective) and will not be replying anything else in this thread. Thx everyone...
Ok so there is nothing wrong with your child. So the only alternative is that you and your wife did such a horrid job of teaching him to behave that they wanted an assessment after spending very little time with the child (he must have been really bad for that to happen, I can't even imagine what he would have been doing). Then after just a few months of these teachers you want to insult, teaching your child how to actually behave, he's fine.

Ok I guess maybe you and your wife are the issue then. Maybe instead of an assessment you should look into parenting classes.
Mar 19, 2015
576 posts
104 upvotes
Canada
The kid should drink milk or water.

No sugar-y drinks like juice or soda pop.

Eat plain yogurt with wild blueberries, banana, strawberry, raspberry, etc,

Eat cheese.

Lots of milk and dairy products might help your kid grow taller.
Mar 19, 2015
576 posts
104 upvotes
Canada
If your kid has lots of energy, then he or she should be dancing, exercising, playing sports, playing with toys, walking outside, etc
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel