Parenting & Family

Boy is turning 1 yr - Throwing Party - Recommend balloon twister, bubble maker, face painter?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2016 8:26 pm
[OP]
Jul 25, 2008
857 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto

Boy is turning 1 yr - Throwing Party - Recommend balloon twister, bubble maker, face painter?

My baby boy is turning 1 in December and I'll be renting a community center for the party with about 50-75 guests. He will probably be one of youngest so I'm looking for entertainment to keep the toddlers and other kids and parents happy. I love throwing parties and i don't really have a budget. I'm already hiring Hands on Exotics for an hour and would like to hire possibly a balloon artist, face painter or some bubble artist (if that's a thing?).

I've never done this before and a lot of them don't seem to post their rates, could someone give me an idea of what their rates would be, and also other fun ideas for a 1 year old birthday party that caters to kids from 1yr of age to 10 yrs of age. Any recommendations for some companies or artists would be great too!

No clowns suggestions though - they creep me out.
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5033 posts
917 upvotes
Peterborough
Just say no to balloons. Lots of breakage and toddlers and infants around dont mix. Broken balloon fragments are very difficult to remove from throats. Ask any ems responder. Very high choking hazard. Perhaps the highest.

Id go with a face painter.

Another choice would be a small bouncy castle or two if they can fit in the room you rented.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10597 posts
1668 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know about renting a bouncy castle in a community center. They might have rules, etc. And think of set up time and take down. For young kids, just get washable crayons and large paper or colouring books. Toddlers love those. As for kids up to 10, have no idea. That rental site looks good. I find kids that age just love to run around and stuff.
[OP]
Jul 25, 2008
857 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
desi_mtl_dude wrote:
Oct 4th, 2016 4:51 pm
check out fiesta for kids http://fiestarentals.ca/, they have a lot of options.
they have some rates on the websites or you could call in to get a quote.
Cool thanks! They have tons of options! I wonder if their company actually owns all of those...
dutchca wrote:
Oct 4th, 2016 10:53 pm
Just say no to balloons. Lots of breakage and toddlers and infants around dont mix. Broken balloon fragments are very difficult to remove from throats. Ask any ems responder. Very high choking hazard. Perhaps the highest.

Another choice would be a small bouncy castle or two if they can fit in the room you rented.
Good idea, and I hate the sound of balloons popping and the cleanup would be a mess!
at1212b wrote:
Oct 5th, 2016 11:23 am
I don't know about renting a bouncy castle in a community center. They might have rules, etc. And think of set up time and take down. For young kids, just get washable crayons and large paper or colouring books. Toddlers love those. As for kids up to 10, have no idea. That rental site looks good. I find kids that age just love to run around and stuff.
I'd think colouring books would be boring? I don't remember enjoying them when I was young.

What is the etiquette like for serving food? I plan to start the party at 11, but because we are bringing in exotic animals, they suggest no food around (this tends to change the animals behaviour). If you were a guest, would you mind waiting for food until 1:30pm? Would it be rude to not have anything snacks set out at all?
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10597 posts
1668 upvotes
Toronto
Didi_beee wrote:
Oct 5th, 2016 11:04 pm
desi_mtl_dude wrote:
Oct 4th, 2016 4:51 pm
check out fiesta for kids http://fiestarentals.ca/, they have a lot of options.
they have some rates on the websites or you could call in to get a quote.
Cool thanks! They have tons of options! I wonder if their company actually owns all of those...
dutchca wrote:
Oct 4th, 2016 10:53 pm

Good idea, and I hate the sound of balloons popping and the cleanup would be a mess!
at1212b wrote:
Oct 5th, 2016 11:23 am
I'd think colouring books would be boring? I don't remember enjoying them when I was young.

What is the etiquette like for serving food? I plan to start the party at 11, but because we are bringing in exotic animals, they suggest no food around (this tends to change the animals behaviour). If you were a guest, would you mind waiting for food until 1:30pm? Would it be rude to not have anything snacks set out at all?
For 1.5-3 yr olds, especially girls, they love colouring. Believe me. Lay out big paper, like the Jack Astors used to do as well as colour book sheets. Dump a bunch of crayons. Make sure to get the washable ones.
[OP]
Jul 25, 2008
857 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone have any good recommendations for companies that have mascots? Like spongebob and pickachu?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1748 posts
437 upvotes
Toronto
Didi_beee wrote:
Oct 13th, 2016 4:04 pm
Does anyone have any good recommendations for companies that have mascots? Like spongebob and pickachu?
That is extremely over the top for a 1 year old party.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
40950 posts
4727 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Didi_beee wrote:
Heavenleigh85 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2016 1:48 am
Didi_beee wrote:
How!!! Mascots are amazing. When i was 5 i met leonardo from the teenage mutant ninja turtles. I gave him a hug and wouldnt let go.

My brother later told me he wasnt real... I was devestated.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1602 posts
856 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2016 12:11 pm
Didi_beee wrote:
Heavenleigh85 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2016 1:48 am
Didi_beee wrote:
How!!! Mascots are amazing. When i was 5 i met leonardo from the teenage mutant ninja turtles. I gave him a hug and wouldnt let go.

My brother later told me he wasnt real... I was devestated.
I am guessing you don't have kids. One year old and 5 year olds are very different. At one, I gaurentee the child won't remember a thing or know who the heck the characters are. Assuming the mascot is for the other kids, OP souls make sure there not very many kids in the two to three year old range. Many kids this age are quite terrified of mascots. Great for five and up. If op can separate the younger kids, this should be fine, otherwise there can be a mess of crying toddlers. I did children's party when I was a teen, and clowns and mascots for toddlers, generally were a bad Idea.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
[OP]
Jul 25, 2008
857 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
The mascots will be entertainment for the other kids. I know my son won't remember a thing, but he'll enjoy it at the moment so when you see them happy at the moment, you'll be happy too.

Its okay if its over the top, he's my first and we can afford it so theres nothing wrong with that :)