Shopping Discussion

The BOYCOTT thread - who are you boycotting and why?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2011 9:02 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9321 posts
919 upvotes
GTA

The BOYCOTT thread - who are you boycotting and why?

I had a bad experience redeeming a voucher on the weekend and I have now decided to boycott the restaurant for good. And since I promoted them before I feel like I need to state it publicly that I am boycotting them.

The place is Cruda Cafe in St. Lawrence Market. They have sold a bunch of vouchers on different websites. I have been there 10 + times and introduced friends to it. The owner was never really super friendly but they had some other staff there that was nice. The previous time before this last time I went they tried to charge me $2 for a takeout container even though I was eating in. Once I made it clear I was eating at the tables across their booth they waived the $2. Well, I went again on Saturday and they insisted there was a $2 charge for a plate/container for all voucher holders. They weren't charging normal customers this charge but just voucher holders. I feel that this price doesn't reflect the actual cost of the container and it was just a method to make more money off voucher holders. Again, a business shouldn't sell a voucher if they feel they can't make enough money off of it, or it isnt' a good marketing technique. I was reading reviews on Yelp and other voucher customers have said the same thing so their idea is definitely back firing on them. They also just added it into the price and didn't make it clear that the $2 was for containers. The balance seemed high then I realized what she had done. I also got over charged for an item by 50 cents but noticed that too and the lady tried to tell me they put the item in the wrong container even though the name of the item/price was written on the container.

So in summary
My Boycott: Cruda Cafe - lower level of St. Lawrence Market
Reason : shady way of dealing with voucher holders
19 replies
Mar 10, 2011
10 posts
Saskatoon
YLSF wrote:
Nov 28th, 2011 10:04 am
I had a bad experience redeeming a voucher on the weekend and I have now decided to boycott the restaurant for good. And since I promoted them before I feel like I need to state it publicly that I am boycotting them.

The place is Cruda Cafe in St. Lawrence Market. They have sold a bunch of vouchers on different websites. I have been there 10 + times and introduced friends to it. The owner was never really super friendly but they had some other staff there that was nice. The previous time before this last time I went they tried to charge me $2 for a takeout container even though I was eating in. Once I made it clear I was eating at the tables across their booth they waived the $2. Well, I went again on Saturday and they insisted there was a $2 charge for a plate/container for all voucher holders. They weren't charging normal customers this charge but just voucher holders. I feel that this price doesn't reflect the actual cost of the container and it was just a method to make more money off voucher holders. Again, a business shouldn't sell a voucher if they feel they can't make enough money off of it, or it isnt' a good marketing technique. I was reading reviews on Yelp and other voucher customers have said the same thing so their idea is definitely back firing on them. They also just added it into the price and didn't make it clear that the $2 was for containers. The balance seemed high then I realized what she had done. I also got over charged for an item by 50 cents but noticed that too and the lady tried to tell me they put the item in the wrong container even though the name of the item/price was written on the container.

So in summary
My Boycott: Cruda Cafe - lower level of St. Lawrence Market
Reason : shady way of dealing with voucher holders
My Boycott: Nestle Canada
Reason: They proudly support the NFL but not the CFL. I think a Canadian company should look at sponsoring Canadian football, not American football. I sent them an e-mail suggesting that very thing and the reply was non-sensical and obviously from some kind of foreign call center.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
2373 posts
62 upvotes
Saskatoon
Enthusiast1 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2011 10:48 am
Reason: They proudly support the NFL but not the CFL. I think a Canadian company should look at sponsoring Canadian football, not American football. I sent them an e-mail suggesting that very thing and the reply was non-sensical and obviously from some kind of foreign call center.

Don't you think that Tim Hortons would object to Nestle (=Nescafe) being a sponsor?

Isn't Pepsi (Aquafina water) still a CFL sponsor? Do you think they would want a competitor (Nestle water) on their turf?
Conquistador wrote:
May 20th, 2010 2:57 pm
One other thing you should know for future reference. If it is on the subject of taxes, listen to ghostryder. He knows his stuff.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2602 posts
547 upvotes
By the way, OP: you need to complain to the vendor from whom you acquired the vouchers: if the store is adding unstated terms, you should tell the group deal company and demand that they refund your money, or have "words" with the store so they stop this extra-fees practice.
Enthusiast1 wrote:

Where did you get the idea that Nestlé is a Canadian company?

Nestlé is not a Canadian company. They are a Swiss company. :facepalm:

They're evil, so you have plenty of other decent reasons to boycott them even if the baby-formula thing is old news... THEY WERE KILLING BABIES! LITERALLY KILLING BABIES.
na na na na na na na na na NA.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
16371 posts
2411 upvotes
Toronto
Bell. Reason : Used to work for them. I wouldn't trust anything anyone says at that company, ever.

Ubisoft: Used to produce awesome PC games, then went nuts and now actively hates the customer base that built their company. Every game put out by them is so full of invasive DRM it's not worth buying. The few greats they have left also don't make up for the lazy ports and large amounts of shovelware that they put out.

And some others I can't think of right now.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
4740 posts
1055 upvotes
Paypal

ToS is on the border of legality.
They lie
They steal
Their protection covers them only
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
399 upvotes
GT&A
Tim Hortons: over rated.
MacDonalds: don't use gloves
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
4740 posts
1055 upvotes
lorax1284 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2011 12:56 pm
By the way, OP: you need to complain to the vendor from whom you acquired the vouchers: if the store is adding unstated terms, you should tell the group deal company and demand that they refund your money, or have "words" with the store so they stop this extra-fees practice.

Where did you get the idea that Nestlé is a Canadian company?

Nestlé is not a Canadian company. They are a Swiss company. :facepalm:

They're evil, so you have plenty of other decent reasons to boycott them even if the baby-formula thing is old news... THEY WERE KILLING BABIES! LITERALLY KILLING BABIES.
Nestle canada is registered in canada. They are the canadian divison of Nestle.

Nestle CANADA is a canadian company. Nestle is not a canadian company.
Mar 10, 2011
10 posts
Saskatoon
ghostryder wrote:
Nov 28th, 2011 12:44 pm
Don't you think that Tim Hortons would object to Nestle (=Nescafe) being a sponsor?

Isn't Pepsi (Aquafina water) still a CFL sponsor? Do you think they would want a competitor (Nestle water) on their turf?

Both GMC and Nissan advertise/support the CFL. I think it would be fine.
Jan 5, 2008
178 posts
7 upvotes
New Westminster
Star Wars!

in the 70's my mother wouldn't take me to see it, so I decided I didn't want to see it!

To this day I still haven't seen one of those movies. :lol:
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2007
1287 posts
55 upvotes
Scarborough
Best Buy and Future Shop for the recent fiasco involving their Cyber Monday sale.

FS: Some headphones were advertised but had no stock. Went to their stores and saw that they had stock in-store but didn't want to make them available for the discount.

BB/FS: Horrible online system for both. Couldn't even buy **** from them.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1424 posts
417 upvotes
GM Canada for the Pontiac Grand Am that was always breaking down and even the service people said "Yeah, this was a horribly made car"

The TTC for charging me for failing to pay a full fare which I was able to prove in court I did. I haven't taken the TTC in the 20 years since but have watched that big 'ole white elephant suck money out of my taxpayer wallet while listening to people say we need toll roads to pay for better transit.
The TTC should have the tracks paved over and made into an underground bike/rollerblade/pedestrian road. Take The Car!
Alex
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5535 posts
1337 upvotes
Montreal
Enthusiast1 wrote:

Companies don't just decide to sponsor something. Sponsorship of a team or league is complicated and existing sponsors typically have clauses in their sponsorship agreements preventing competitors from also sponsoring teams/leagues.

Does Nestle Canada sponsor the NFL or does the US division of Nestle sponsor the NFL?
Apr 19, 2010
945 posts
443 upvotes
Richmond
Enthusiast1 wrote:

why would anyone want to sponsor the CFL unless its out of pity