Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2007
1115 posts
24 upvotes

Brake Fluid leak, how much to fix?

My brake fluid line started to rust and leak a bit near the driver side rear. So how much does this normally cost to fix? It's an old car but it's been a reliable daily commuter and good on gas. So if it's a few hundred bucks then it's worth fixing.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2006
4888 posts
942 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
You will probably need to replace the brake line itself. Since the brake system works on pressure (keeping pressure in the system), any leak is a bad thing and I would serious consider either not driving it until it's repaired or getting it repaired ASAP.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2007
1115 posts
24 upvotes
yeah... so how much labour involved? 3-4 hours?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2004
1708 posts
15 upvotes
North York
Parts pricing and labour varies wildly from car to car depending on how the lines are routed.
Mar 5, 2006
5922 posts
151 upvotes
Murica
unfortunately it will cost about a hundred per side, underneath your car.
As for the brake line, flexible line connected to your calipers, those are a little cheaper.

They rust out b/c you need to flush your brake fluid every 2-3 years. Brake fluid absorbs moisture. And these lines are made of steel, suppose to have some plastic lining from the outside, but not inside. Guess it can get hot????
Anyway water and steel, leads to rust.

I know I've had to replace the lining on 2 cars, both were over 7 years old.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25442 posts
2675 upvotes
Ottawa
I don't know what type of car you have and that makes a difference on the cost of the lines as well as labour. You can easily use up 4 hours labour for removal, cleaning and replacement.
I say this because, it has been my experience that one line needs to be replaced, the others will as well. What happens s that after a while, the weakest of the lines will start to leak, if you just replace one, the pressure will become more intense on the remaining lines and will cause them to fail real soon. That failure can be catastrophic, in that the line may split or burst when you apply hard braking and then, you have trouble.
This job can cost you anywhere from $150 for replacing one line up to $500 for them all and that is not including any brake work the tech or shop will try to up sell you. If you opt for the $150 job, save your pennies because you will be back.
Before anyone tells you to do it yourself because it ain't hard and you can get the lines from rockauto.com (or any other internet car parts store) for a dollar forty nine, it is a crummy, dirty job and clamps break and, screws rust and connections shear off, and fittings seized on, plus the 4 wheel bleeding that needs to be done. You don't want to be doing this job laying on your back.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2004
1708 posts
15 upvotes
North York
On our old Mazda 626 a few years ago it was actually less expensive to build a custom brake line than replace the original as the original ran underneath the gas tank and was essentially a cluster at Mazda's rip-off parts prices so the job would have cost over $1k.
The custom route cost @ $600 for all lines including labour and tax.
Mar 23, 2004
20272 posts
1684 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Dec 29th, 2008 7:00 am
Before anyone tells you to do it yourself because it ain't hard and you can get the lines from rockauto.com (or any other internet car parts store) for a dollar forty nine, it is a crummy, dirty job and clamps break and, screws rust and connections shear off, and fittings seized on, plus the 4 wheel bleeding that needs to be done. You don't want to be doing this job laying on your back.
x2. If lines are rusted through, you can bet that the fittings/connections will be rusted to $h!t as well, lol. Definitely won't be as easy as just undoing the connections and replacing the line. There's likely going to be cutting and/or a torch involved to get the old line(s) out.
× < >