May 10, 2005
33535 posts
7538 upvotes
Ottawa
macnut wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 11:23 am
As the noise is really loud, I would be suspecting something else such as:
- a heat shield contacting the rotor
- no shims used on replacement pads (assuming factory pads used shims)
- replacement pads while listed as OE replacement are not a perfect fit
- caliper bracket mounting bolts not torqued down correctly

Bedding-in is certainly important with new brakes, but the fact is that very few car owners do it - and suffer no consequences.
I agree with this.
I also suggest that you may have glazed the rotors and pads by now and the only way to get rid of that is to resurface or clean the rotors.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2003
817 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga
Solsearchin1 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 6:26 am
Most likely just the pad material is a bit too thick. Happens a lot with aftermarket ceramic pads. Just keep driving and it will go away.
Possibly. I am using semi-metallic pads in this case though.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2003
817 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga
Pete_Coach wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 8:14 am
I agree with this.
I also suggest that you may have glazed the rotors and pads by now and the only way to get rid of that is to resurface or clean the rotors.
Can I just sandpaper them down? I tried to sandpaper the pads, but that didn't make too much difference.

As mentioned, just driving around the city, there is no/little noise. However, coming down from speed (120 or so) with medium breaking, it sounds like a train.... and for a short time after, it's still fairly loud, even under light braking...
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33535 posts
7538 upvotes
Ottawa
BuddyGuy wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 3:41 pm
Can I just sandpaper them down? I tried to sandpaper the pads, but that didn't make too much difference.

As mentioned, just driving around the city, there is no/little noise. However, coming down from speed (120 or so) with medium breaking, it sounds like a train.... and for a short time after, it's still fairly loud, even under light braking...
Use whatever you have to de-glaze them completely https://www.amazon.com/3M-01410-Surface ... B00063V0XC
then do a proper bedding in procedure.
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/how- ... brake-pads or
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... ?techid=85
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5854 posts
1511 upvotes
BC
So no change over the past week? I think what most people are missing when making suggestions is the very specific conditions under which the noise appears.

When driving around the city, the brakes sound fine. However as soon as I come off the highway, and apply medium to heavy brake force, I get almost a train sound from the front.
For some time after this happens, even braking at city speeds (60-70) will cause some more brake noise, however not to the same extent as when I originally came off the highway.

Might not be the brakes at all. You may by sheer coincidence be hearing the initial stages of a wheel bearing failure.
Not worn enough to give all the standard clues (wobble etc.), but after heating up the bearing at higher speed on the highway, the act of braking stresses the hot bearing to the point of making a loud noise.
This continues to a lesser extent as you drive at slower speeds until the bearing cools down and is then quiet again.

Just a theory, but may be wise to consider other things the the brake pads.
However, I do agree that if the pad material is too thick beyond where the piston can accommodate it then there will be drag and glazing. But wouldn't there be heat clues at the wheel from that?
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11777 posts
11420 upvotes
Oakville
macnut wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 3:53 pm
So no change over the past week? I think what most people are missing when making suggestions is the very specific conditions under which the noise appears.

When driving around the city, the brakes sound fine. However as soon as I come off the highway, and apply medium to heavy brake force, I get almost a train sound from the front.
For some time after this happens, even braking at city speeds (60-70) will cause some more brake noise, however not to the same extent as when I originally came off the highway.

Might not be the brakes at all. You may by sheer coincidence be hearing the initial stages of a wheel bearing failure.
Not worn enough to give all the standard clues (wobble etc.), but after heating up the bearing at higher speed on the highway, the act of braking stresses the hot bearing to the point of making a loud noise.
This continues to a lesser extent as you drive at slower speeds until the bearing cools down and is then quiet again.

Just a theory, but may be wise to consider other things the the brake pads.
However, I do agree that if the pad material is too thick beyond where the piston can accommodate it then there will be drag and glazing. But wouldn't there be heat clues at the wheel from that?
+1 Good post!
Jan 8, 2019
1 posts
hi guys

i have the same problem on my chevy.. bearing was replaced, brake pads was replaced as well as the rotors but still the problem remains.
now they tell me its the gearbox witch i dont believe, only loud noise L/H front side when braking bit hard from 120 but at low speeds its not making the noise or vibrations

advice would be appreciated as this is getting bit costly now and dont trust the car safty no more
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
4272 posts
1900 upvotes
Toronto
There were couple of suggestions here. Have you done brake bedding?

Yesterday, I didn't like how the rear pads were leaving parking brake marks on the rotors and doubt the dealer did it on the new fronts so, I did the bedding procedure and they all nice and shiny. You shouldn't do it all the time as bedding process diminish your life of pads and rotors.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11777 posts
11420 upvotes
Oakville
JohanB25301 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 12:07 pm
hi guys

i have the same problem on my chevy.. bearing was replaced, brake pads was replaced as well as the rotors but still the problem remains.
now they tell me its the gearbox witch i dont believe, only loud noise L/H front side when braking bit hard from 120 but at low speeds its not making the noise or vibrations

advice would be appreciated as this is getting bit costly now and dont trust the car safty no more
How old are your suspension bushings? A worn FCAB can cause wobbling. As can a worn strut mount.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3032 posts
1804 upvotes
GTA
Civics don't reach "higher speeds" :-)