Automotive

Brake pad clips for Honda Accord 2008

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2018 4:50 pm
[OP]
Nov 15, 2018
4 posts

Brake pad clips for Honda Accord 2008

I'm going to change front brakepads and rotors for my Honda Accord 2008 EXL 4D. I have shortlisted brakepads and rotors that I'm going to buy. Unfortunately, they don't come with brake hardware kit so I will have to buy it separably. Cheapest one I'm able to find is for $22 on amazon (There is $8 one but has $14 shipping). I don't want to pay that much for just clips. I'm unable to find it on CT website (that fits my car) nor other local auto shops.

Am I missing something? Searching with wrong keyword or clips are not popular thing to replace with every brake job? I currently have squeaking problem so I don't want to take my chances with old clips.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2354 posts
2417 upvotes
GTA
What kind of brake pads are you buying that they don't come with clips?

Even the cheapest garbage comes with them.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
4170 posts
1808 upvotes
Toronto
Spend $5 more and buy the premium brand that comes with the hardware if you need it. You can usually clean the old hardware with brake cleaner and rags.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2018
4 posts
derass wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 4:29 pm
What kind of brake pads are you buying that they don't come with clips?

Even the cheapest garbage comes with them.
Akebono ACT787 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set (Engineering #ACT564)
[OP]
Nov 15, 2018
4 posts
peteryorkuca wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 4:50 pm
Spend $5 more and buy the premium brand that comes with the hardware if you need it. You can usually clean the old hardware with brake cleaner and rags.
I don't mind paying extra, do you have any recommendation? Akebono ACT787 is $68.15
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2354 posts
2417 upvotes
GTA
That ridiculous. Akebono are the most expensive aftermarket pads, because they have this internet reputation of being the best. But they don't include shims. Meanwhile Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic, which I would argue are also premium aftermarket, are $38 and include the shims.

I just checked online and the OEM shims are $6-10 EACH. There are aftermarket sets on Rockauto ranging from $3-10.

You should be able to find these at any local parts store as well.

Just be careful what you buy. You're cherry picking the pads, but cheap, poor quality shims will rust out and seize up the pads in no time.
Last edited by derass on Nov 16th, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 19, 2004
854 posts
179 upvotes
Vancouver
If it doesn't come with it then just reuse the old ones.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4576 upvotes
Montreal
derass wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 5:09 pm
That ridiculous. Akebono are the most expensive aftermarket pads, because they have this internet reputation of being the best. But they don't include shims. Meanwhile
That's because people actually believe the Akebono they buy online for $60 are the same as the Akebono that came on the assembly line. Like the Brembo thread where people think they're getting the same OEM Brembo at Canadian Tire. Personally, the manufacturers are taking advantage of the perceived quality the name brings so they highlight it in the aftermarket. In reality these are not anywhere near the quality of the assembly line brakes and will probably get you less than 1/2 the life. The compound is totally different. Not really surprised some don't come with hardware, it could also be a store return where someone kept the hardware.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2018
4 posts
derass wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 5:09 pm
That ridiculous. Akebono are the most expensive aftermarket pads, because they have this internet reputation of being the best. But they don't include shims. Meanwhile Centric Psi-Quiet Ceramic, which I would argue are also premium aftermarket, are $38 and include the shims.

I just checked online and the OEM shims are $6-10 EACH. There are aftermarket sets on Rockauto ranging from $3-10.

You should be able to find these at any local parts store as well.

Just be careful what you buy. You're cherry picking the pads, but cheap, poor quality shims will rust out and seize up the pads in no time.
Thanks for your input. I will look for one that comes with hardware, most likely Centric Psi-Quiet Ceramic - it has decent reviews. I initially wanted to buy (rotors and brakes) from rockautos but shipping is crazy expensive for rotors.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2354 posts
2417 upvotes
GTA
accord2018 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 5:27 pm
I initially wanted to buy (rotors and brakes) from rockautos but shipping is crazy expensive for rotors.
Maybe it's a bit expensive, but they are quite heavy.

I've priced out all 4 premium Centric pads and rotors for my Accord and it's about $400 shipped. That's a nice middle ground between $600 in OEM parts, and whatever cheap garbage that can be found locally.
Oct 15, 2005
159 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Akebonos are good pads. You can reuse the hardware of it's not pitted or rusted.

Clean them off with a wire brush.
accord2018 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 5:01 pm
I don't mind paying extra, do you have any recommendation? Akebono ACT787 is $68.15
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
49849 posts
14947 upvotes
Ivan of igarage probably reused the clips as I bought front and rear Akebono pads and I wasn't told the clips were missing.

This on an 11 Accord coupe.
<unnecessary>