• Nov 16th, 2016 3:17 pm
[OP]
Apr 17, 2012
115 posts
3 upvotes
TORONTO

Brake pad replacement

hi

Looks like it's time to get my brake pads changed. What's a good brand to go with for a corolla?
Any suggestions for a garage that does quality work but won't be excessively expensive?
17 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15950 posts
6133 upvotes
I am not from the GTA, so have no idea how far these shops are from you, however these two shops often come up on RFD and have received much positive feedback. I have included a thread for each so you can read some reviews:
L&G Auto: l-g-auto-review-19-laidlaw-blvd-markham-1570069/
iGarage: trustworthy-toyota-mechanic-1739967/

If you have a shop you trust (perhaps one of the above if you trust them after talking to them/dealing with them/reading reviews), you should ask their opinion on the matter. Many shops I have dealt with will actually be honest with you and say "Well, you could replace PART X AND Y, but I would really only replace PART X for now".

Regardless of which shop you use, I would ask them for options on what parts to install - sometimes it can cost very little to upgrade to a higher quality part, especially when the brunt of the price is labour.
Banned
Jul 31, 2016
437 posts
254 upvotes
When you are swapping out your pads, ask the shop to also check the rotors for deep grooves. You should also ask them to service the brakes. Clean and lubricate the sliders. When installing new pads, you'll also want to replace brake fluid as well.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
2124 posts
573 upvotes
Edmonton
I can't speak specifically for a Corolla but if its anything like FOrd or GM's pads in general, and you have any inclination to be slightly mechanically minded, pads are the easiest thing to self change. Pads are pads, some better than others. CT does offer various quality levels OR buy an OEM set at your Toyota dealer. Or knock yourself out and get some ceramic pads......... Drums a little harder. And remember pads easiest to change and least cost BEFORE they are too worn and damage the rotors....... But if you are interested in only comments for others to change for you please ignore the previous comments...........

ps- just curious what year COrolla and trim level are you changing ( front and back?)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6163 posts
2503 upvotes
Alberta
I just had the brakes done on my wife's Honda Civic. Took it to the dealer, believe it or not, it was not that expensive at all.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28835 posts
14639 upvotes
Ottawa
Might as well replace the rotors also, as you can get a complete set (all 4 corners) for few hundreds all in.
Check out maxbrakes, they are located in the GTA and you can pick them up (just get regular or slotted, but not cross drilled).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6351 posts
1851 upvotes
I hear dealerships say rotors and pads should be replaced at the same time. Is there any truth to this or just a cash grab?
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
4251 posts
378 upvotes
BluePhirePB wrote:
Nov 14th, 2016 11:41 am
I hear dealerships say rotors and pads should be replaced at the same time. Is there any truth to this or just a cash grab?
mostly cash grab. some dealerships would prefer to replace both not just for cash grab but they do not want to simply replace the pad then have customer complaining about noise. some benz models are notorious for that, if you just replace the pad, it doesnt sit properly causing noises. i have replaced my own pads in my bmw x3, haven't need to replace the rotors yet. probably will replace the rotors on my 2nd pad change.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8515 upvotes
GTHA
Dalkiel wrote:
Nov 13th, 2016 9:51 pm
hi

Looks like it's time to get my brake pads changed. What's a good brand to go with for a corolla?
Any suggestions for a garage that does quality work but won't be excessively expensive?
Rotors may also need to be replaced.

Centric from RockAuto for parts
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota

iGarage for labour
another-1-igarage-1311900/

My thread on front brake pads and rotor replacement
need-replace-brake-pads-rotors-centric- ... y-2051228/
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11759 posts
1623 upvotes
rotors can be resurfaced if it is still above minimum specification.......
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11759 posts
1623 upvotes
but no shop will refinish them now. cheaper to get replacement......
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1303 posts
221 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Hardest part with doing the pad replacement yourself is jacking the car up and taking the tire off.

Buy new pads. If you don't have to change them immediately, check out auto stores for sales. Canadian Tire frequently has them. Buy some high temperature grease and a can of brake clean.
Take tire off.
Remove caliper. Typically you take out lower bolt and rotate it upwards to get at the pads.
Take out pads.
Remove hardware.
Clean old hardware with brake clean and a rag, or if correct new hardware supplied with pads toss old ones.
Remove slider pins, wipe, grease with high temperature grease, and slide them back in.
Open brake fluid reservoir.
Use C clamp to compress piston.
Put hardware back in place.
Apply high temperature grease to hardware, where pads slide along. Apply grease to ends of pads that slide in hardware.
Install new pads.
Lower caliper back down into bracket.
Install caliper bracket bolt.
Check brake fluid reservoir; if level is now too high, remove fluid and then put cap back on.

I use emery cloth on the rotor to remove existing pad glaze and then clean rotor with brake clean.

I use pads that suit my need and don't worry about super long life as I'd rather have a pad that wears a little faster but is easier on the rotor.

Here's a video that shows how simple it can be:
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11759 posts
1623 upvotes
robertz wrote:
Nov 15th, 2016 6:58 am
Hardest part with doing the pad replacement yourself is jacking the car up and taking the tire off.

Buy new pads. If you don't have to change them immediately, check out auto stores for sales. Canadian Tire frequently has them. Buy some high temperature grease and a can of brake clean.
Take tire off.
Remove caliper. Typically you take out lower bolt and rotate it upwards to get at the pads.
Take out pads.
Remove hardware.
Clean old hardware with brake clean and a rag, or if correct new hardware supplied with pads toss old ones.
Remove slider pins, wipe, grease with high temperature grease, and slide them back in.
Open brake fluid reservoir.
Use C clamp to compress piston.
Put hardware back in place.
Apply high temperature grease to hardware, where pads slide along. Apply grease to ends of pads that slide in hardware.
Install new pads.
Lower caliper back down into bracket.
Install caliper bracket bolt.
Check brake fluid reservoir; if level is now too high, remove fluid and then put cap back on.

I use emery cloth on the rotor to remove existing pad glaze and then clean rotor with brake clean.

I use pads that suit my need and don't worry about super long life as I'd rather have a pad that wears a little faster but is easier on the rotor.

Here's a video that shows how simple it can be:
#youtubemechanic
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6351 posts
1851 upvotes
mingyang wrote:
Nov 14th, 2016 11:56 am
mostly cash grab. some dealerships would prefer to replace both not just for cash grab but they do not want to simply replace the pad then have customer complaining about noise. some benz models are notorious for that, if you just replace the pad, it doesnt sit properly causing noises. i have replaced my own pads in my bmw x3, haven't need to replace the rotors yet. probably will replace the rotors on my 2nd pad change.
I hear it's not difficult to do. I may try to replace my own brakes next time. Toyota tells me I have 8mm left on front, 4mm left on rear.