Automotive

Brake pads have 6mm left but still squeal badly!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2011 2:37 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2036 posts
70 upvotes

Brake pads have 6mm left but still squeal badly!

Hi guys. Ok so I had my brakes checked in mid November (front brakes were squealing) where I was told to not worry as my pads still had 6mm left with 56,000 kms on the car. However my brakes still squeal horribly whenever I drive and it doesn't fade away after a few minutes of startup. I guess that rules out the possibility of rotor rust and moisture? :confused:

Anyways, I have 58,000 kms on the car and my car is due for its major service tomorrow. I have a feeling the service advisor is trying to cheat me by saying I still have 6mm left as I guess my car is still under the B2B warranty. I have a feeling me might tell me that my pads and rotors are shot just after my B2B warranty is over. My question is, if this hypothetically happens, can I hold them responsible for it as in my previous November brake inspection invoice, I made him type in his records (and my invoice) that my front pads have 6mm left. Also, is it normal to have 6mm left even after 58,000 kms?

some background: A few months ago (car had approx 45,000 kms) I started hearing some squealing in the front brakes where I was told the pads were dried up and they applied a lube/paste which will stop the squealing. Sure enough it did stop it up until a couple of weeks ago when I started hearing it again.

Any suggestions?
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3072 posts
219 upvotes
You can go inside the service bay and look at the condition of your brake pads, they should allow you. Otherwise, do it yourself, but I understand it is freakn' cold :(
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2458 posts
184 upvotes
Vaughan
Brake pads can still squeal with a lot of pad life remaining. I usually put brake grease on, and it goes away, like the service advisor told you. 6mm seems like enough to last for a little while. It really depends on your driving habits, and your car.

Just keep in mind, that squealing brakes doesn't necessarily mean bad brakes.
For Sale
Banana Republic Mens Top Coat
banana-republic-mens-top-coat-1846703/#post24082895
Apr 5, 2010
743 posts
20 upvotes
Glazed rotors, you're on the brakes a little too often and you don't brake hard enough. Sand them down and your golden.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24537 posts
2319 upvotes
Ottawa
OK, when installing pads, there is a plate between the pad and the piston. This plate has a tab on it that will rub against the rotor when the pad wears down to a certain thickness. 6 mm is less than 1/4 inch and is just about worn down. Time for new pads, especially if you are getting a major service done.
Brake pads are not a warranty item, never have been, never will. They are wear items like tires, wipers and bulbs.
There is no such thing as brake grease to make the noise go away. They lied to you unless hey disassembled the calipers. You do not grease brakes per se. There is a grease that is put on the backer plate between the piston and pad to prevent vibrations that sometimes cause a noise. This is dome when pads are installed. They also grease the sliders the caliper runs on but that does not cause noise, the brakes just seize up if they get stuck.
When they replace the pads, they should surface the rotors too. They have a wire brush or some abrasive pads attachment they run over the rotor braking surface,
At 58k kms, you are probably due for a brake fluid flush and a good bleeding of the system too. No one is trying to rip you off here. Your brakes are very important.
It’s not how far you fall that counts. It’s how high you bounce that counts! General G Patton
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2036 posts
70 upvotes
mmm thanks for the replies everyone and Pete thanks for the technical details even though I am not that knowledgeable with mechanics of cars :o It was helpful for sure.

I am not saying they are trying to rip me off; however, I am just confused as to why my brakes are squealing so badly despite of having 6mm left on the pads. According to the service advisor, 6mm is decent and I should probably need a replacement in the next 3-4 months. This car is driven most on the highways with little-moderate braking so its not that I use the brakes too often.

I am pretty sure they did disassemble the calipers the last time they lubed them as there was a TSB that stated something about calipers yea so I am pretty sure they did disassemble them. anyhow, if my car does need new pads (can only be determined tomorrow), is it also necessary to get new rotors assuming rotors are grinding against the pads? In order to save a little bit money can I request them to turn the rotors if possible? How long will rotors last if they are turned?

Thanks again everyone!
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
2288 posts
162 upvotes
Alberta
Mine does the same thing and I still have 80% left on the pads. Took it in to the dealer and they said that it is normal for disc brakes to squeal a little bit. Mine always squeal when cold but as soon as I touch the brakes a few times lightly the squeal goes away.
Nov 25, 2007
330 posts
26 upvotes
tapanpatel88 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2011 6:54 pm
mmm thanks for the replies everyone and Pete thanks for the technical details even though I am not that knowledgeable with mechanics of cars :o It was helpful for sure.

I am not saying they are trying to rip me off; however, I am just confused as to why my brakes are squealing so badly despite of having 6mm left on the pads. According to the service advisor, 6mm is decent and I should probably need a replacement in the next 3-4 months. This car is driven most on the highways with little-moderate braking so its not that I use the brakes too often.

I am pretty sure they did disassemble the calipers the last time they lubed them as there was a TSB that stated something about calipers yea so I am pretty sure they did disassemble them. anyhow, if my car does need new pads (can only be determined tomorrow), is it also necessary to get new rotors assuming rotors are grinding against the pads? In order to save a little bit money can I request them to turn the rotors if possible? How long will rotors last if they are turned?

Thanks again everyone!
depending on the car some cars rotors have a lot of thickness , so you can get them machined (turned) if its done properly the rotors most likely will last until the end of the life of the new pads. They will end up being more susceptible to warping, and may eventually have a pulsating brake pedal.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5855 posts
100 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jan 9th, 2011 6:05 pm
OK, when installing pads, there is a plate between the pad and the piston. This plate has a tab on it that will rub against the rotor when the pad wears down to a certain thickness. 6 mm is less than 1/4 inch and is just about worn down. Time for new pads, especially if you are getting a major service done.
Brake pads are not a warranty item, never have been, never will. They are wear items like tires, wipers and bulbs.
There is no such thing as brake grease to make the noise go away. They lied to you unless hey disassembled the calipers. You do not grease brakes per se. There is a grease that is put on the backer plate between the piston and pad to prevent vibrations that sometimes cause a noise. This is dome when pads are installed. They also grease the sliders the caliper runs on but that does not cause noise, the brakes just seize up if they get stuck.
When they replace the pads, they should surface the rotors too. They have a wire brush or some abrasive pads attachment they run over the rotor braking surface,
At 58k kms, you are probably due for a brake fluid flush and a good bleeding of the system too. No one is trying to rip you off here. Your brakes are very important.

this is the best post here, since none of us have saw your pads or rotors, we can't assume too much.

Generally speaking, there's an indicator on most OEM brake pads, when it squeals, it's warns you that the pads are running low. (the noise should be present even when you're not stepping on the brakes).

Anyway, as pete coach have said, better be safe than sorry, brake pads are an important part of your car, better have it checked out. Last thing we want is another thread about you rear ending someone because your brakes failed you.
--
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2036 posts
70 upvotes
UPDATE: ok so along with my routine car service, I had my brakes inspected. Service advisor said they couldn't replicate the squealing however they did service the brakes as per the service package I am paying for today. On my way to pick up the car right now. Will drive it and see what's up. Also the advisor said my pads still have life left on them and should last atleast a few months.
× < >