None
[OP]
Feb 14, 2009
41 posts
1 upvote
York

Branch transaction fee

Hi folks
I have a question about my everyday chequing account with CIBC. I have noticed that whenever a cheque that withdraws from my account is processed, I get a branch transaction service charge of $3.90. I get this amount back as Service Charge Discount, since my account is currently on student status. I also get some service charges when the school deposits money in my account (I am a funded grad student) which is again discounted. However, now I will be graduating soon and am not sure what this whole fee is about. Any ideas how to avoid it?

SandsofTime
4 replies
Jul 29, 2009
895 posts
14 upvotes
http://www.cibc.ca/ca/pdf/personal-acct ... ees-en.pdf

The only $3.90 charge I can find is the monthly fee for an Everyday Chequing Account. Students get that fee waived, so that may be what you're seeing.

I don't know what kind of service fee there would be on your school's deposits to your account. Banks almost never charge a service fee for receiving money ...
[OP]
Feb 14, 2009
41 posts
1 upvote
York
I guess its likely the fees for transactions, with a bit of confusing name for it.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1789 posts
151 upvotes
You have to provide your student ID to CIBC every year in order to get the fee waived. You probably haven't in the last year. Go to a branch, show your ID, and they'll credit back all the account fees and applicable overdraft fees as well.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
4166 posts
5 upvotes
guessaaa wrote:
May 27th, 2010 2:41 am
You have to provide your student ID to CIBC every year in order to get the fee waived. You probably haven't in the last year. Go to a branch, show your ID, and they'll credit back all the account fees and applicable overdraft fees as well.
If you took the time to read carefully, it says the fees are already automatically refunded, OP is just wondering what they are for.
× < >