None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
3920 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto

Brand name recommendation?

Well, I am looking for a nice digital camera that can do video's, take pictures at high resolutions and maintain good quality.

What brand name can be recommended and model?
19 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2006
1467 posts
42 upvotes
Zero1 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2008 7:23 pm
Well, I am looking for a nice digital camera that can do video's, take pictures at high resolutions and maintain good quality.

What brand name can be recommended and model?
Canon SD870IS <- great camera, great price.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
3920 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
Does that come with a Lithion rechargeable battery or it requires those AA batteries?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
3920 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
What about the Kodak EasyShare M1033?

Anyone recommend that?
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12056 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
Say no to Kodak.

You missed the most important bit of information: price. Nearly all cameras can capture video, create high-resolution images (more is not better) and "maintain good quality".
Deal with it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
3920 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
KorruptioN wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2008 9:50 pm
Say no to Kodak.

You missed the most important bit of information: price. Nearly all cameras can capture video, create high-resolution images (more is not better) and "maintain good quality".
What would be your recommendation for a $200 budget before tax?
Apr 30, 2007
621 posts
39 upvotes
Canon A720 IS, $179.99 at Best Buy until July 24.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3042 posts
21 upvotes
Seriously.. search people. Or at least pretend.
Jul 21, 2008
8 posts
new york
I'd say go for Canon or Nikon. Canon has very good features to play around with especially if you photograph for leisure. If you plan to take photography into a more professional level, you should go for Nikon.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12056 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
Sidney C wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2008 7:58 pm
I'd say go for Canon or Nikon. Canon has very good features to play around with especially if you photograph for leisure. If you plan to take photography into a more professional level, you should go for Nikon.
That's really vague info. Are you suggesting Canons cannot be used for "professional" photography, and Nikons cannot be used for "leisure" photography?
Deal with it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
3920 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
rubberband wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2008 12:08 am
Seriously.. search people. Or at least pretend.
Opinions are better than actual reviews because people would have been able to give their own opinion and their reason why not to use it (especially after a period of 4 months).

Also I did research the Kodak M1033 (I think its the model) and it had great reviews but people say stay away from Kodak. I don't understand this photography stuff compared to the other people who do.
Dec 31, 1969
Nikon, Olympus, Canon, Pentax, Kodak, they are all more than capable in the right hands. Just pick one and use it.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2005
1799 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
Zero1 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2008 12:06 am
Opinions are better than actual reviews because people would have been able to give their own opinion and their reason why not to use it (especially after a period of 4 months).
i dont mean to be rude, but wut i think rubberband meant was to search the Photography forum on RFD... there are tons of threads with people asking the similar question of what camera they should get and should be adequate enough for answering your questions rather than starting a whole new thread. also your criteria "nice digital camera that can do video's, take pictures at high resolutions and maintain good quality" will not really narrow down your search as pretty much all P/S cameras today will give you those options.

back to answer your question, imo, prior to switching to DSLR, Ive owned both Canon (IXY500 and 870IS) and Sony (DSC-W80 and DSC-W120) point and shoot cameras and Ive never had any problem with any of them (each camera ive owned more than 6 months). so if you want reliability with good warranty service, I would stick with those two brands. :) .

my two cents
Portfolio: AH87 Studios
Nikon D700 | Nikon 80-200mm AF-D f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 | Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8

FS: MINT CONDITION Google Nexus S - $150 OBO
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1366 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
selpats wrote:
Jul 24th, 2008 12:12 am
Nikon, Olympus, Canon, Pentax, Kodak, they are all more than capable in the right hands. Just pick one and use it.

That's right! All these cameras are the same. You can pick any of those brands and you won't see a difference. The only difference is the amount of features and you certainly have to pay for those. Get the best you can afford,based on features you need. Quality wise, they are the same.
PS. Try to find a camera with some sort of Image Stabilization. It will help you take sharper images( in darker environment)
Dmitri Markine Wedding Photography: My 500pix||My Flickr||My Pinterest||My Instagram