None
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
2479 posts
2166 upvotes
GTA
twin wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2008 11:09 pm
Canon A720 IS, $179.99 at Best Buy until July 24.
that's a great camera for the price
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12055 posts
376 upvotes
Toronto
demi2004 wrote:
Jul 25th, 2008 2:15 pm
That's right! All these cameras are the same. You can pick any of those brands and you won't see a difference. The only difference is the amount of features and you certainly have to pay for those. Get the best you can afford,based on features you need. Quality wise, they are the same.
Not really.
Deal with it.
Dec 31, 1969
KorruptioN wrote:
Jul 27th, 2008 4:45 pm
Not really.
KorruptioN - I am not trying to direct this at you so please don't take it that way...

I am not trying to be a prick here but I could post photos here from the 30+ cameras that I own/have owned here and no one would be able to say, "That's from a Canon G9" or "That's from an Olympus" etc. I have 16"x20" prints from my 5+ year-old Olympus C5050z that have sold for good money, they look every bit as good as prints from current point and shoots that I own if not better.

A point and shoot camera is a point and shoot camera. Some may have more features that will allow you to get more creative with your photography but in the end they all perform the same function. People just need to get beyond thinking that the next camera or other brand is better/worse.

If someone has specific needs such as shooting sports or landscapes or portraits then yes, there can be cameras that are "better" for that particular purpose. That said, people looking for that sort of thing wouldn't be looking for a point and shoot.

OP - Just set a budget for yourself, look at the specification of the cameras and find one that suits your needs.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2001
2709 posts
19 upvotes
Sidney C wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2008 7:58 pm
I'd say go for Canon or Nikon. Canon has very good features to play around with especially if you photograph for leisure. If you plan to take photography into a more professional level, you should go for Nikon.
I'd say canon for p&s, nikon smaller cameras dont compare. A model canons are a bit less pricewise as they're bigger and take AA batteries. Lots of them under 200.

I have the canon SD800 and 870 plus a nikon D200 dslr.
Gigabyte MA990FXA-UD3/FX 8350/MSI R9 270X/16GB Corsair Vengeance/Win 10
Gigabyte 890GM-D2H/FX 8120/16GB Gskill/XFX 5770/Win 10
Heatware
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12055 posts
376 upvotes
Toronto
selpats wrote:
Jul 27th, 2008 5:10 pm
KorruptioN - I am not trying to direct this at you so please don't take it that way...
Of course not. I'm just hoping I wasn't the reason you got temp-banned...

If you do really pixel peep (I'm just picking at straws here, really), you may (keyword may) be able to tell what manufacturer (not so much what model specifically) produced the images, especially as the ISO creeps up. I just wouldn't call them "all the same". They are different in their own little ways.
Deal with it.