Travel

Brand new AI resort opening - experience?

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2018 10:27 am
[OP]
Aug 16, 2009
780 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto

Brand new AI resort opening - experience?

We're trying to weigh the pros/cons of visiting a brand new resort that's opening later this year.

Pros: It's brand new hence clean (hopefully) and better service.
Cons: Not everything might be operational, Things may not be as organised

Other pros/cons you have experienced?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1281 posts
522 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
michiebaby wrote:
May 14th, 2018 3:42 pm
We're trying to weigh the pros/cons of visiting a brand new resort that's opening later this year.

Which resort (part of a chain? New build? Reno?) and where (country?)

Based on the answers to those questions I could help you.
[OP]
Aug 16, 2009
780 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
BrunetteGirl wrote:
May 14th, 2018 3:48 pm
Which resort (part of a chain? New build? Reno?) and where (country?)

Based on the answers to those questions I could help you.
Oppss.. thought I had provided that. Guess not! The resort is Sunscape Star Cancun opening on Dec 1.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1281 posts
522 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
michiebaby wrote:
May 14th, 2018 4:21 pm
Oppss.. thought I had provided that. Guess not! The resort is Sunscape Star Cancun opening on Dec 1.
Sunscape Star is owned by AMR resorts (the budget friendly family option of the chain who also owns Secrets, Dreams & Zoetry). Having said that they have a big presence in Cancun and they are an American chain (Apple Vacations is their parent company). Things tend to move swiftly in Mexico and given the December opening they want that resort ready for the peak season time (Christmas/ New Years & Winter/Spring Break 2019).

This resort will not be in "Cancun" though. It's located north of the hotel zone (def not walking distance) more like a 20 minute drive). This area currently does not have any resorts (some condos nearby) and is closer to the "residential" part of Cancun. I've personally never experienced the beach area there to say what it looks like. From my understanding it's not as nice Cancun or the gated beach community of Playa Mujeres which is another 20+ minutes north. So if your intent is to be in Cancun then this isn't the place to book.

If you are intending to arrive on the opening week AMR resorts tends to offer you an option to stay at their sister property (since there's no other Sunscape in the nearby area where they will relocate you is hard to say) and then offer you a future free stay at the resort you originally booked.

If you do book for early December and the resort opens expect minor inconveniences like small jobs going on (painting, vegetation being planted etc)?,service being slow (the staff are new at their jobs). Sometimes you can get a good deal but pack your patience. I've been to a lot of resorts during the week of opening (I'm a resort contractor for a tour operator) so I've seen those things firsthand.

Hope this helps!
[OP]
Aug 16, 2009
780 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for your insights! We don't intend to leave the resort as we're travelling with 2 young kids. Hoping this resort is kid oriented enough to keep them busy throughout the trip. On the safety note, I wonder how safe this place is if it's in the residential part of Cancun and not part of a gated community. Heck, how safe is "cancun" now in general?
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1281 posts
522 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
michiebaby wrote:
May 14th, 2018 8:23 pm
Thanks for your insights! We don't intend to leave the resort as we're travelling with 2 young kids. Hoping this resort is kid oriented enough to keep them busy throughout the trip. On the safety note, I wonder how safe this place is if it's in the residential part of Cancun and not part of a gated community. Heck, how safe is "cancun" now in general?
I was there last week on business and going down Friday for weekend for pleasure ;)

If you are concerned about security I would probably consider the Mayan Riviera, Cozumel or Playa Mujeres. Some of the more isolated resorts are harder for anyone (non-guests) to gain "beach access" where as the beaches of Cancun, Playa del Carmen (and vicinity) although still public have much more access.
Feb 18, 2018
18 posts
1 upvote
Canada
Hi

would like to know in which location the Resort is getting opened . Any idea till which date or in which Month?

Any link or website you recommend

Regards
Nickybee
Regards
Nickybee
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1281 posts
522 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
nickybee wrote:
May 15th, 2018 8:04 am
Hi

would like to know in which location the Resort is getting opened . Any idea till which date or in which Month?

Any link or website you recommend

Regards
Nickybee
Which resort are you asking about? The Sunscape Star
[OP]
Aug 16, 2009
780 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
BrunetteGirl - informative! Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4344 posts
574 upvotes
Thornhill
michiebaby wrote:
May 14th, 2018 3:42 pm

Never had a good experience when staying at resorts that were less than 1 month old. I stayed at 4-5 star new resorts in Cuba, Mexico and Dominican.
Staff were not trained properly. Running out of food at all of them as staff couldn't calculate food amount. Missing grass, road work, missing trees, painting still going on. Other rooms(not ours) had issues with AC and toilets.
At the Dominican resort they were missing a lot of staff so almost no service at the restaurants. Internet wasn't working at 2 of them. Beach are was never cleaned.

Due to that, I would never stay at new resorts, unless there's a substantial discount.
[OP]
Aug 16, 2009
780 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
dazz wrote:
May 15th, 2018 10:21 am
Never had a good experience when staying at resorts that were less than 1 month old. I stayed at 4-5 star new resorts in Cuba, Mexico and Dominican.
Staff were not trained properly. Running out of food at all of them as staff couldn't calculate food amount. Missing grass, road work, missing trees, painting still going on. Other rooms(not ours) had issues with AC and toilets.
At the Dominican resort they were missing a lot of staff so almost no service at the restaurants. Internet wasn't working at 2 of them. Beach are was never cleaned.

Due to that, I would never stay at new resorts, unless there's a substantial discount.
Good points. Not sure what the discounts are or if there are any.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)