• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2007 9:35 am
Tags:
None
Jun 4, 2006
706 posts
Ontario, Canada

Brand Vs. No Brand Tires???

In general, are there significant difference in terms of quality between well-known brand Vs. No name brand tires???

When i purchased my car, they gave me 4 new tires. However, the tires were called "Hercules", a brand i never heard of before.

What are the significant difference between Brand Vs. No name brand? because so far, i haven't noticed anything wrong with the No name brand tires. And i might just continue to purchase these kind of tires in the future because of the huge price difference where the Branded tires use these extra cost to invest in marketing/advertising. IMO. What do you think?
28 replies
Oct 26, 2006
660 posts
3 upvotes
many of the "generic" tires are actually subsidiaries of the large tire manufacturers.

i.e. fierce -> goodyear, general tire -> continental

i'd say, if you haven't had problems with the tires you're running, i don't see a need to question the quality of them now.

i have specific tire requirements, dictated by my driving style. the tires i was looking at were all over the price range and brand names.
Sep 30, 2001
25605 posts
4755 upvotes
lesnar wrote:
Apr 30th, 2007 11:40 pm
In general, are there significant difference in terms of quality between well-known brand Vs. No name brand tires???
i would say yes. consider that some 'no name' or dept store brand tires are still made by some of the larger companies out there. like everything, there is a price point and they make the product to fit that price point. so whether its a lower speed rating, difference in warranty, etc. you're paying for it. Even models from the same company that appear to be the same could be different (i.e. a tire sold at costco vs a tire shop).
When i purchased my car, they gave me 4 new tires. However, the tires were called "Hercules", a brand i never heard of before.
Hercules isn't a 'no name' brand.

There is a regular column in the Toronto Star wheel's section dedicated to tire reviews. There is more than just the marketing. There is the R&D that goes into rubber compounds and tread patterns.
Don't talk about it, be about it
Banned
Jan 23, 2007
965 posts
1 upvote
some of the best tires are unknown. for example look at the tires that come stock on lambo merci.. its not goodyear or michellin.
marketing aside u want tires with sticky compound for summer and more hard compound for winter. never get all seasons. all seasons give u crappy traction in wet and dry conditions. i run michellin pilots for summer and artic alpins for winter.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2004
2225 posts
71 upvotes
Ajax
nolimtzel wrote:
May 1st, 2007 1:07 am
some of the best tires are unknown. for example look at the tires that come stock on lambo merci.. its not goodyear or michellin.
marketing aside u want tires with sticky compound for summer and more hard compound for winter. never get all seasons. all seasons give u crappy traction in wet and dry conditions. i run michellin pilots for summer and artic alpins for winter.
You mean the other way around...

And all-seasons are perfectly fine for wet and dry conditions... depending on which tire you choose, of course. I'm sure there's a ton of summer tires that offer crappy wet and dry performance as well.
Jun 13, 2004
267 posts
13 upvotes
Saint John
I do agree with others statements that some no-names are made by various popular manufacturers, but with different names on the sidewall. Having said that I also think that you do get what you pay for most times. Tires are just one area I have a hard time skimping on due to safety and handling. I'm running goodyear eagle f1's right now on my car and having known the difference I won't go back to a cheaper tire. I'd just watch the internet for deals as I got my Goodyears last summer for $88 US a tire and the goodyear dealer in town wanted $269.
Dec 24, 2006
783 posts
1 upvote
Canada
nolimtzel wrote:

Your so wrong. Lambo runs Pirelli and Ferrari run BFGood's :!:
Hi
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2003
2878 posts
10 upvotes
Not yet 16, are we.
nolimtzel wrote:
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
3725 posts
131 upvotes
cereal83 wrote:
May 1st, 2007 6:45 am
Your so wrong. Lambo runs Pirelli and Ferrari run BFGood's :!:
I thought Ferrari's frun Bridgestones, at least the Enzo does.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2002
2101 posts
28 upvotes
Off-brand tires are often subsidiaries of larger tire companies. They generally use older tread designs and rubber compounds to meet a price point. Nothing terribly wrong with them, and you can find no-name and name-brand tires with defects. You generally give up a little noise, traction, and/or tread life in exchange for the lower price, but not always.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
7220 posts
917 upvotes
i say non brand name tires are fine.....however if I need to buy summer tires i would only go for brand names, and if I need all-season or winter i'll probably get non-brand name tires.
Feb 28, 2007
700 posts
Toronto
Personally am not an expert in this subject however I recently bought a set of 4 Michelin HydroEdge tires for my 2000 Civic...Tires from the get-go have been nothing but pleasure. Things you may want to investigate or read up on are how it functions in different weather conditions or just the comfort of driving on a sunny day.

Keep an eye out for: mileage, speed rating, dry, wet, snow, comfort, noise, treadwear, and overall rating from other customer reviews. Investigate before actually buying the same set of tires or just any brand tires in general. Good luck!
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3470 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
spamblockers wrote:
May 1st, 2007 12:48 pm
Personally am not an expert in this subject however I recently bought a set of 4 Michelin HydroEdge tires for my 2000 Civic...Tires from the get-go have been nothing but pleasure. Things you may want to investigate or read up on are how it functions in different weather conditions or just the comfort of driving on a sunny day.

Keep an eye out for: mileage, speed rating, dry, wet, snow, comfort, noise, treadwear, and overall rating from other customer reviews. Investigate before actually buying the same set of tires or just any brand tires in general. Good luck!
The HydroEdge is a great for all-season tires. Dry and wet traction is great, tolerable in the snow, but far from being as good as true snow tires like their X-Ice.

For me, summer can go with the more generic tires and winter is when I spend the bigger dollars for nice snow tires. Majority of the accidents occur in winter, and more non highend tires are fine in dry and wet with the right pre-cautions.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2003
9267 posts
979 upvotes
Ottawa
timv wrote:
May 1st, 2007 6:23 am
I do agree with others statements that some no-names are made by various popular manufacturers, but with different names on the sidewall. Having said that I also think that you do get what you pay for most times. Tires are just one area I have a hard time skimping on due to safety and handling.
+1

Tires are what makes or breaks the handling of your car. Ultimately it affects the safety of your car. People are too cheap in general when it comes to buying tires. You don't have to spend a fortune but looking for the cheapest tire is like buying the cheapest condom.

You still get what you pay for when it comes to tires. Sure, a lot of the cost of the higher end brands is due to marketing, BUT they do reserve their best tire technology for the upper models. That usually translates to better safety and handling.
× < >