Politics, Religion & Controversial

Brazilian president will bore hole through Amazon rainforest

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2019 10:13 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
1221 posts
2 upvotes
poleman wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 12:37 pm
And then we have comments like this:
If you don't like the point he's making, disprove it. The boomer generation has created economic situations that have enriched them and made it more difficult for young people to own homes, businesses, etc. At the same time, the boomer generation has doubled down on ruining the environment while leaving the cleanup to the younger generation. This, coupled with the massive tax cuts you see for already wealthy corporations in the US and abroad make @Piro21's point a very valid one.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 10, 2018
1147 posts
60 upvotes
poleman wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 12:37 pm
And then we have comments like this:
Piro21 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 10:37 am
I've said it for years; Boomers are getting old and crazy and will destroy the world before they go because they don't care what happens after they're gone. This is just another entry on a long list of examples.
him calling others crazy is really crazy. best troll here. I really admire him even though he talks lot of crap.
May be he works for Toronto Star.Winking FaceFace With Tears Of Joy
Last edited by callernamet on Jan 8th, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You guys seem trapped by the confines of your own ideologies.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 30, 2010
1899 posts
251 upvotes
ThinkOutsideTheBox wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 12:10 pm
Conversely, can't you also blame the extreme swings to the right for why far-left candidates get leverage? Or is your position to be hypocritical?
I agree, and I don't particularly like the far right swings, almost as much as I hate the far left push.

However, from what I can see, the far left swings do far more damage and seem to be more aggressively pushed. If they could stop pushing left, then we would probably stay nicely in the centre where economies can actually function well.

However, we have an NDP party and ardent, aggressive supporters that obviously will not let things just work.

We do not have a far right party, so all of Canada's fanatic problems come from the NDP.

Dilma's government went further left than our NDP (although our NDP parties would likely take the same measures if they ever had the chance to rule federally), so it's not surprising how far right they swung.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
1221 posts
2 upvotes
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 1:16 pm
I agree, and I don't particularly like the far right swings, almost as much as I hate the far left push.
So, you're saying that you don't like far right swings (into authoritarianism, anti-women, anti-immigrant, nationalist, etc.), but you still like them more than far left (political correctness, social programs for the poor, redistribution of wealth from the rich to the poor, major investment in reversing climate change, etc.)? Is this correct? If I've misrepresented the extremes, go ahead and correct me.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 10, 2015
1937 posts
685 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
ThinkOutsideTheBox wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 12:54 pm
If you don't like the point he's making, disprove it. The boomer generation has created economic situations that have enriched them and made it more difficult for young people to own homes, businesses, etc. At the same time, the boomer generation has doubled down on ruining the environment while leaving the cleanup to the younger generation. This, coupled with the massive tax cuts you see for already wealthy corporations in the US and abroad make @Piro21's point a very valid one.
I'll get back to you with an offending reply after I've had my avocado toast.
Diversity is Our Burden
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 30, 2010
1899 posts
251 upvotes
ThinkOutsideTheBox wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 2:26 pm
So, you're saying that you don't like far right swings (into authoritarianism, anti-women, anti-immigrant, nationalist, etc.), but you still like them more than far left (political correctness, social programs for the poor, redistribution of wealth from the rich to the poor, major investment in reversing climate change, etc.)? Is this correct? If I've misrepresented the extremes, go ahead and correct me.
LOL, only misrepresented the extremes by sugar coating the extreme left. Here's my take (and actual reality, because the things you described as "extreme left" are actually relatively centrist policies):

Far right swings (authoritarianism, anti-immigrant, anti-woman)

Far left swings (authoritarianism, punishing economic failure, massive government spending that always leads to corruption and useless public sector jobs, price controls to try to stave off hyperinflation only to always make it worse, kills squads set up to ensure the champagne socialists can maintain their hold on power, control of the media to make sure only positive messages of left wing policies are ever published, the creation of an external enemy to blame any economic problems on, staggering rise in interest rates, plunging value of the currency, default on debt, and general chaos caused).

Both worrisome, but definitely more worried about the far left. With the far right, you can pull it back to sensibility because as long as the country doesn't go to war, the economy is functioning so the bad policies can be changed.

Far left governments cause straight up economic collapse, or massive recessions/depressions, and have a tendency to murder a sizable portion of their own citizens on the way, and take decades to fix.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 26, 2010
1988 posts
358 upvotes
callernamet wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 10:28 am
pssst. World (Or Canada) exists beyond borders of Toronto. Or Ontario, you know that right? And there is more in world outside US. And similar idiots also elected Justin Trudeau. Winking Face Or Idiot Macron.
eventually it all balances out.
i just gave those as an example, because i live here, and i'm affected by doug ford, and unfortunately some supporters of trump in canada condone his racist, discriminatory behaviour, and use it towards others here in canada

but regardless... it's pretty disgusting that a president dismisses his own daughter, and says something ignorant and stupid like his sons ar not gay because they were taught well :facepalm:... what does that even mean?.... but as it is always said : "In a democracy, the people get the government they deserve"
:) Love is too beautiful to be hidden in the closet ;)
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
1221 posts
2 upvotes
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 2:58 pm
LOL, only misrepresented the extremes by sugar coating the extreme left. Here's my take (and actual reality, because the things you described as "extreme left" are actually relatively centrist policies):

Far right swings (authoritarianism, anti-immigrant, anti-woman)

Far left swings (authoritarianism, punishing economic failure, massive government spending that always leads to corruption and useless public sector jobs, price controls to try to stave off hyperinflation only to always make it worse, kills squads set up to ensure the champagne socialists can maintain their hold on power, control of the media to make sure only positive messages of left wing policies are ever published, the creation of an external enemy to blame any economic problems on, staggering rise in interest rates, plunging value of the currency, default on debt, and general chaos caused).

Both worrisome, but definitely more worried about the far left. With the far right, you can pull it back to sensibility because as long as the country doesn't go to war, the economy is functioning so the bad policies can be changed.

Far left governments cause straight up economic collapse, or massive recessions/depressions, and have a tendency to murder a sizable portion of their own citizens on the way, and take decades to fix.
Wow -- and you say I sugar coated the left in my reply....
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
20461 posts
2261 upvotes
Montreal
aokec wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 10:49 am
He said he will open a highway through the rainforest and open it to mining operations.
He said his daughter was a mistake and that he was glad he had mostly sons.
He also said his sons won't be gay because they were "taught well".

https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/2019/ ... ation.html

How can Brazilians elect an idiot like that?
Strong leadership from a real man! My heart's all a flutter. He almost makes me want to swing the other way. If only he would have me...


Image
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3566 posts
1213 upvotes
Mississauga
Yup. Because real men rape Mother Nature and shit all over their daughters.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 16, 2010
5008 posts
1317 upvotes
Aurora
Hey, at least his sons were taught well. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
20461 posts
2261 upvotes
Montreal
mrweather wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 6:00 pm
Yup. Because real men rape Mother Nature and shit all over their daughters.
Real men crush Amazon tribesmen into bitumen with their bare hands and use it to make asphalt.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
1935 posts
39 upvotes
What makes it different this time is that once you build a highway through the Amazon, it's not like you can undo the construction of miles and miles of asphalt, or bring the natives back to their original habitat. This guy is like a modern conquistador, just rape and pillage your way into the world and steal what you can sell on the market, make a free profit off the lives of innocents.

He's leaving a shithole of a world for the next generation, it's old farts like this who need to be buried first. Because your kids will be the next generation who has to deal with floods, lack of suitable housing cuz everything's under water, stench of garbage, lack of places to travel cuz everywhere is filled with plastic, lack of clean organic food because everything is sprayed so that the current older generation can reap the immediate profits and leave their kids to rot.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 9, 2013
1512 posts
913 upvotes
Saudi Arabia
Piro21 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 10:37 am
I've said it for years; Boomers are getting old and crazy and will destroy the world before they go because they don't care what happens after they're gone. This is just another entry on a long list of examples.
I say this every day too. The absolute worst, most entitled generation to have ever lived.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 30, 2010
1899 posts
251 upvotes
ThinkOutsideTheBox wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 5:14 pm
Wow -- and you say I sugar coated the left in my reply....
Well, we were talking about the extremes, and you mentioned the right wing's extremes (of which I agree), then instead of stating the far left extremes, you mentioned a bunch of centrist policies.

Extremes are extremes, and every single one I mentioned were things I found in far left governments throughout the world in the last century.

For some reason you seem to think that far left = centrist?

Top