Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8226 posts
869 upvotes
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 12:36 am
For some reason you seem to think that far left = centrist?
I have noticed this trend. Very left is the new "center". I'm thinking it's because the far right has a strict definition/line. There is no limit to how far left you can go, and as a result the "center" has now shifted very far left.

I have a very progressive co-worker who shocked us l at coffee when we told us with a straight face he considers himself "neutral" when it comes to politics.
Penalty Box
Jan 17, 2012
4375 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Well, we were talking about the extremes, and you mentioned the right wing's extremes (of which I agree), then instead of stating the far left extremes, you mentioned a bunch of centrist policies.

Extremes are extremes, and every single one I mentioned were things I found in far left governments throughout the world in the last century.

Let's also not forget that he took normal things and made them horrible right wing policies...anti-immigration? Really? Anyone who critiques mass immigration is a Nazi?

The fact of the matter is that when they speak of right wing extremes they have to speak in very general terms. Why? Because they don't have a lot of examples to point to. How many far right governments have their been in the developed world since ww2? Meanwhile, when we speak of left wing extremes we can be very specific. We can point to countless examples of the horrors, atrocities, and failures of far left governments throughout the 20th century and onto the present.

Of course the whole thing is stupid since the left's tactic is to push farther and farther left while demonizing traditional conservative principles as being far right...
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
1224 posts
2 upvotes
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Well, we were talking about the extremes, and you mentioned the right wing's extremes (of which I agree), then instead of stating the far left extremes, you mentioned a bunch of centrist policies.

Extremes are extremes, and every single one I mentioned were things I found in far left governments throughout the world in the last century.

You have this complaint about what I wrote (which, btw, I did say that if you disagree, please feel free to give me your perspective -- hardly something you would expect a person entrenched in their philosophy blindly to say) -- and yet when you came back around, the extremes you used for the right really did not include all of the potential extreme-right entities (I was picking mainstream extreme-right ideals). You forgot fascism, lynching, etc. etc. all of which are examples that have existed in the last century as well. Feel free to amend your far-right perspective and then we can chat.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
1900 posts
251 upvotes
ThinkOutsideTheBox wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 9:54 am
You have this complaint about what I wrote (which, btw, I did say that if you disagree, please feel free to give me your perspective -- hardly something you would expect a person entrenched in their philosophy blindly to say) -- and yet when you came back around, the extremes you used for the right really did not include all of the potential extreme-right entities (I was picking mainstream extreme-right ideals). You forgot fascism, lynching, etc. etc. all of which are examples that have existed in the last century as well. Feel free to amend your far-right perspective and then we can chat.
Fascism isn't an action, it's a position of the extreme right. That's like me saying Communism and Marxism are on the extreme left...duh. I didn't feel it needed clarification. The important thing were the actions those extreme groups partook in.

I wasn't in denial by exclusion of the extreme right...I didn't spend too much time thinking about their extremes, but feel free to add in some others. I never heard of far right governments doing any lynching, but it's possible and I'm willing to dig into that (keep in mind, we're talking extremist governments, not extremists as individuals).

Either way, I think my point (via real world examples) was made that the far left extremes scare me a bit more than the far right extremes.