• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2018 10:56 pm
[OP]
Jan 4, 2004
316 posts
11 upvotes
Richmond

Breaker gets tripped via Tools

So in my new construction...in my garage...when I plug in tools (Notably a Toro Leaf Blower and a Ryobi 14A Mitre Saw) the breaker keeps tripping.

Its super annoying. 1 out of every 4 cuts of the mitre saw the breaker trips.

I am wondering what my recommended next course of action should be. I've read that GFCI breakers will get tripped all the time with things like mitre saws. Not sure if that is true.

Either #1 I get a lower amp rated mitre saw, maybe a 12A that hopefully won't trip anymore...or to get an electrician to hook up a new 20A outlet for me in the garage? I don't use these tools often, but when I do its annoying...any I worry about it screwing up the existing circuits over time?
18 replies
Jan 19, 2013
268 posts
119 upvotes
15amp breaker can only handle 12amps continuously.
You likely need a 20amp circuit for heavy duty tools or space your cuts over a longer period of time.
Though I’ve never had a breaker trip when using my 15amp mitre or table saw. Maybe breaker is faulty?
Last edited by 1chinaman on Dec 7th, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7466 posts
4331 upvotes
Edmonton
What kind of setup do you have? Is there anything else drawing power on this circuit? Are your garage circuits GFCI plugs (since you mention it)? If so, why?

Personally, I'd wire up the garage similar to a kitchen. Plugs fairly frequently, 20A are good, on multiple circuits. At a minimum, a dedicated "tool" circuit would be good (assuming you'll only be using one tool at a time). And it wouldn't be GFCI or AFCI (last one might be required by code, haven't had to worry about that yet).

C
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29212 posts
2174 upvotes
Winnipeg
if your tool needs 20A T slot receptacle, then it would have the T plug
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
4894 posts
2718 upvotes
It’s also possible to have a bad breaker. You could try swapping it with another breaker on a different circuit to confirm.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2332 posts
328 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
CNeufeld wrote:
Dec 7th, 2018 5:03 pm
What kind of setup do you have? Is there anything else drawing power on this circuit? Are your garage circuits GFCI plugs (since you mention it)? If so, why?

Personally, I'd wire up the garage similar to a kitchen. Plugs fairly frequently, 20A are good, on multiple circuits. At a minimum, a dedicated "tool" circuit would be good (assuming you'll only be using one tool at a time). And it wouldn't be GFCI or AFCI (last one might be required by code, haven't had to worry about that yet).

C
It will require AFCI protection if you opt to do it to code, unless it is a detached garage.

If your current receptacles are arc fault protected it could be that the tools are older and have some arcing inside that is causing the trip.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7466 posts
4331 upvotes
Edmonton
BTW. I did find this thread, on AFCI circuits and universal motors:
http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_insp ... cuits.html

Problem in this case was one of the connections in the breaker box wasn't tightened properly, which was causing a arc under load. Which is exactly what it's supposed to do. Some people have had issues with the AFCI and older universal motors (like vacuums, and possibly your saw) because as the brushes wear, they cause arcing as well, which causes the breaker to flip.

ETA: As the poster who quoted me identified... :)

C
Dec 4, 2009
168 posts
108 upvotes
Waterdown
I’d put a bigger circuit out there, it’s only going to benefit you in the future. Garages are always needing more power, it’s not a bad move...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7466 posts
4331 upvotes
Edmonton
Todd96srv wrote:
Dec 7th, 2018 6:26 pm
I’d put a bigger circuit out there, it’s only going to benefit you in the future. Garages are always needing more power, it’s not a bad move...
If it’s getting flipped because it’s a sparky motor ona n AFCI circuit, 20A won’t help.

C
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5336 posts
5221 upvotes
Toronto
Don't worry, it's a useless PITA POS AFCI breaker protecting you from certain death.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8266 posts
6764 upvotes
Oakville
OP, has the circuit always done this or only recently?
How old is the GFCI outlet? Apparently they can go bad with age or repeated tripping.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5474 posts
1214 upvotes
Whitby
OP, are you using an extension cord between outlet and these tools?
Apr 6, 2008
677 posts
299 upvotes
gti303 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2018 4:54 pm
So in my new construction...in my garage...when I plug in tools (Notably a Toro Leaf Blower and a Ryobi 14A Mitre Saw) the breaker keeps tripping.

Its super annoying. 1 out of every 4 cuts of the mitre saw the breaker trips.

I am wondering what my recommended next course of action should be. I've read that GFCI breakers will get tripped all the time with things like mitre saws. Not sure if that is true.

Either #1 I get a lower amp rated mitre saw, maybe a 12A that hopefully won't trip anymore...or to get an electrician to hook up a new 20A outlet for me in the garage? I don't use these tools often, but when I do its annoying...any I worry about it screwing up the existing circuits over time?
Are you using the mitre saw and leaf blower at the same time? Seems odd but if you are that's why it's tripping. You need to put them in different circuits if using them at the same time. If it's only the saw running, then you'll need a dedicated (ideally 20A) to the garage. Try the saw in different outlets which will help you eliminate if it's the saw or the circuit. Also don't use an extension cord if you can avoid it.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
2697 posts
357 upvotes
I had this happen, whenever i started the HRV it would trip the braker.

If it's not your tools get the builder to send an electrician to inspect the circuit, i wasn't home the day he came but apparently it was an outlet in the circuit that was causing the problem.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2004
316 posts
11 upvotes
Richmond
Thanks for all the replies, sorry for my late reply. The phone app won't let me log in and post on my phone :( I can only post when i'm on a computer.

Anyways I am not running anything else. The breaker is purely only for the garage.

I just swapped out my wheels with my 7.5A impact wrench, and it was fine. Pressure washer if i recall is fine too...so it might be this tool. I'll go return this 'ryobi' and pick up a 7" bosch that is only 12A....lets see how that goes...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)