None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
6054 posts
853 upvotes
Markham

breast cancer patient - assistance with travel

Hello everyone...

Unfortunately my mom was confirmed to have a malignant tumour that will need an operation and then radiation

the radiation will be every day for 3-5 weeks...the hospital we were referred to was st. michaels, but unfortunately for us its quite far as we live in markham

my brother and I both work full time, and my mom does not drive. My dad is pushing on 70 so we limit his driving...i dont think he could handle driving every day for a month

Im wondering if anyone has any suggestions for assistance for my mom getting to and from her radiation appointments...i thought of wheel trans and mobility plus, but the eligiblity requirements do not apply to my mom
8 replies
Mar 13, 2012
350 posts
118 upvotes
Sarnia
Try your local Red Cross office- (905) 830-9565 or Canadian Cancer Society office - 905-709-4978. The latter now requires a $100 registration fee.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
kellymisty wrote: Try your local Red Cross office- (905) 830-9565 or Canadian Cancer Society office - 905-709-4978. The latter now requires a $100 registration fee.
Agreed. Also, I am assuming there is a health reason for you and your brother limiting your father's driving. Pushing 70 is not old. Just in case you are asked this by the Cdn. Cancer Society.
Oct 4, 2007
17 posts
Richmond Hill
contact to ttc wheeltrans and mobility trans for york region
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
6054 posts
853 upvotes
Markham
BLANKA wrote: contact to ttc wheeltrans and mobility trans for york region
you have any experience with using them for this kinda of health issue? i looked up their websites and believe only those more severely ill would qualify
Oct 4, 2007
17 posts
Richmond Hill
Those services exactly for the people with diasability don't hesitate to contact them
Oct 4, 2007
17 posts
Richmond Hill
you can also contact York region social service and ask them if they can provide you with transportation for medical appointments. ( but not sure, may some financial requirements person should match)
Apr 10, 2005
649 posts
147 upvotes
Montreal
I would suggest, if you haven't already, to speak to either the social worker or liaison nurse attached to the radiation oncology department. This is not an uncommon situation and they will likely have some suggestions for you. There may be transport services available, or commonly there is housing available near the hospital that may be usable by your mother to cut down on driving.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7766 posts
165 upvotes
Are you sure you can be referred to a hospital uptown?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)