• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2017 1:04 pm
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
38402 posts
5524 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Breeder Recommendations for Purebred CKC German Shepherd Puppies

I am looking to see if any RFDer has purchased a purebred CKC registered German Shepherd puppy from an excellent and well reputed breeder.

Preferably working line from an European blood line, and with no history of hip dysplasia.

Thanks
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Mar 5, 2012
1773 posts
121 upvotes
djemzine wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 6:14 pm
I am looking to see if any RFDer has purchased a purebred CKC registered German Shepherd puppy from an excellent and well reputed breeder.

Preferably working line from an European blood line, and with no history of hip dysplasia.

Thanks
Where are you located? I know a breeder in Arthur, highly recommend, pm if interested.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
38402 posts
5524 upvotes
Richmond Hill
dtm252535 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 11:50 pm
Where are you located? I know a breeder in Arthur, highly recommend, pm if interested.
PMed
640 posts
222 upvotes
British Columbia
Have you spent a lot of time around the breed?

Unless you are an experienced GSD owner or have had many dogs in the past where you have raised them with proper care in regards to exercise and mental stimulation then I would reconsider your choice. In fact despite providing both of those things, you may still need to be prepared to consult a behaviourist should things go sideways (and you need to be able to put in the hours to train your dog).

Most GSD I meet are untrustworthy around smaller animals. This makes them poor dogs at off leash parks in general, due to the harm they may cause other dogs. So that begs the question -- where will you exercise your very high energy dog if this happens? Heck I know a few GSD -- including a police dog!! -- that are completely dangerous to the general public and would bite or maul you without provocation and must be muzzled at all times while outdoors.

The GSD can also become extremely shy and where shyness comes into play means you can get fear based aggression as well. So you have potential aggression issues coming from a few angles.

One of my dogs is terrified of the breed due to multiple poor experiences and will bark at any GSD she meets, despite loving every other type of larger dogs... and she isn't the only dog I know of with a bias towards the breed. I've seen even large dogs afraid of the GSD breed. It really says something about the breed to me; that so many dogs pick up on the intent of multiple animals after repeated dangerous encounters and they must learn to avoid and be fearful of it as a whole. Even the nice ones get a bad rap, unfortunately.

Due to their reputation many people will completely freak out around such dogs, going as far as crossing the street or not taking the same elevator etc.

Personality aside, they're also prone to many many issues besides hip dysplasia. I would be highly skeptical of any breeder saying their lines are 100% free of a generic problem.

... And their shedding should win awards, don't think I've meet another breed that sheds quite so much. You would need to vacuum daily.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
38402 posts
5524 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Karala wrote:
Jun 7th, 2017 3:03 am

Unless you are an experienced GSD owner or have had many dogs in the past where you have raised them with proper care in regards to exercise and mental stimulation then I would reconsider your choice. In fact despite providing both of those things, you may still need to be prepared to consult a behaviourist should things go sideways (and you need to be able to put in the hours to train your dog).

Most GSD I meet are untrustworthy around smaller animals. This makes them poor dogs at off leash parks in general, due to the harm they may cause other dogs. So that begs the question -- where will you exercise your very high energy dog if this happens? Heck I know a few GSD -- including a police dog!! -- that are completely dangerous to the general public and would bite or maul you without provocation and must be muzzled at all times while outdoors.

The GSD can also become extremely shy and where shyness comes into play means you can get fear based aggression as well. So you have potential aggression issues coming from a few angles.

One of my dogs is terrified of the breed due to multiple poor experiences and will bark at any GSD she meets, despite loving every other type of larger dogs... and she isn't the only dog I know of with a bias towards the breed. I've seen even large dogs afraid of the GSD breed. It really says something about the breed to me; that so many dogs pick up on the intent of multiple animals after repeated dangerous encounters and they must learn to avoid and be fearful of it as a whole. Even the nice ones get a bad rap, unfortunately.

Due to their reputation many people will completely freak out around such dogs, going as far as crossing the street or not taking the same elevator etc.

Personality aside, they're also prone to many many issues besides hip dysplasia. I would be highly skeptical of any breeder saying their lines are 100% free of a generic problem.

... And their shedding should win awards, don't think I've meet another breed that sheds quite so much. You would need to vacuum daily.
Yes we have. We have owned two GSDs in the 90s when living in the Caribbean. Purebred and we do have full experience. We trained our GSDs in the Caribbean to be guard and family dogs. Attack on command, you could put it that way.

Thanks for the post nevertheless!
3147 posts
552 upvotes
London
It's prime shedding time in this house, if you can wait two days I'll have enough extra of my girl to mold into a pup for you :P

Thank god for Dyson, I think he must have owned a GSD.

We got her from the Humane Society so don't have a breeder for you but good luck!
Apr 25, 2011
640 posts
222 upvotes
British Columbia
djemzine wrote:
Jun 7th, 2017 10:13 am
Yes we have. We have owned two GSDs in the 90s when living in the Caribbean. Purebred and we do have full experience. We trained our GSDs in the Caribbean to be guard and family dogs. Attack on command, you could put it that way.

Thanks for the post nevertheless!
Sounds like you know what you're doing then! Good luck finding a reputable breeder. It may be a hard seach.
Jul 5, 2004
22137 posts
2058 upvotes
I got my female from Timberline kennels. I do not consider them a reputable breeder whatsoever, although they do appear to be one before you get the dog. Avoid them.

I got my male from a great breeder but they are no longer in the business.

Great dogs, but lots of work. Make sure to go to a breeder that breeds straight back shepherds instead of that awful slope that all show dogs have. That may win shows, but it's not part of the breed standard whatsoever
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3147 posts
552 upvotes
London
Shaner wrote:
Jun 9th, 2017 8:12 pm
Make sure to go to a breeder that breeds straight back shepherds instead of that awful slope that all show dogs have. That may win shows, but it's not part of the breed standard whatsoever
It's disgusting and makes me want maim people who perpetuate it. Not really but close. I hate that Rumor won again this year which will perpetuate this gross thing
Jul 5, 2004
22137 posts
2058 upvotes
snow00774 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2017 1:28 am
It's disgusting and makes me want maim people who perpetuate it. Not really but close. I hate that Rumor won again this year which will perpetuate this gross thing
Agreed. Thankfully there's an increasing number of breeders out there that are attempting to reverse the trend. Unfortunately most people don't understand the difference. They think that slope is part of the breed standard. Some dogs are so disfigured I'm amazed they can run and jump
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8124 posts
1641 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Karala wrote:
Jun 7th, 2017 3:03 am

+1 pretty much every German Sheppard I have seen recently was poorly trained and aggressive towards other animals.

I'd avoid them at all costs, unless you want to be seen as that guy/girl in the neighbourhood that everyone "loves". Be prepared for constant complaints and visits from animal services/police too.

Legal system is quite a bit different in Canada in 2017 from 90's Carribean. Be prepared to be charged/sued as well. If you ever command your dog to attack anyone, it counts as assault with weapon. Just avoid the hassle and have a friendly, trustworthy(not just by you, but also by others around you) dog.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2012
1773 posts
121 upvotes
Andro wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 10:35 pm
+1 pretty much every German Sheppard I have seen recently was poorly trained and aggressive towards other animals.

I'd avoid them at all costs, unless you want to be seen as that guy/girl in the neighbourhood that everyone "loves". Be prepared for constant complaints and visits from animal services/police too.

Legal system is quite a bit different in Canada in 2017 from 90's Carribean. Be prepared to be charged/sued as well. If you ever command your dog to attack anyone, it counts as assault with weapon. Just avoid the hassle and have a friendly, trustworthy(not just by you, but also by others around you) dog.
If OP has a lot of time on their hands, and are truly committed to giving the dog the time it needs every single day for the rest of its life, by all means, get it, the gsd will never disappoint a dedicated owner. I dove right in with one as my first real pet let alone dog, luckily I am able to devote enough time to challenge him and keep him stimulated to a point that satisfies his needs, making a "happy" dog. But it has been a handful and consistent hard work since the day I got him. Train every single day, I have an excellent trainer, I learned what he needs, what I need to do, and how to have a dog that feels accomplished at the end of every day. I will NEVER get any other kind of dog, I take him on walks every day, and it's every one else dogs, not gsd's, small white dogs, medium size family dogs, big bear like ones, either pulling on the leash, controlling their owners, or barking at my dog, seemingly oblivious to the fact that he is not a dog to mess with. All the while mine walks beside beside me never passing my leg with his shoulders, and just glances at all these other dogs and their irresponsible owners as if he knows what I do. Absolutely gsd's have a bad wrap, but to suggest to get a different breed if you want a friendly or trustworthy dog....pick that advice up with your doggy bag and throw it in the trash, you give the gsd the devotion it needs and you will never have a more friendly or trustworthy dog in your life.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8124 posts
1641 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
dtm252535 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 11:21 pm
If OP has a lot of time on their hands, and are truly committed to giving the dog the time it needs every single day for the rest of its life, by all means, get it, the gsd will never disappoint a dedicated owner. I dove right in with one as my first real pet let alone dog, luckily I am able to devote enough time to challenge him and keep him stimulated to a point that satisfies his needs, making a "happy" dog. But it has been a handful and consistent hard work since the day I got him. Train every single day, I have an excellent trainer, I learned what he needs, what I need to do, and how to have a dog that feels accomplished at the end of every day. I will NEVER get any other kind of dog, I take him on walks every day, and it's every one else dogs, not gsd's, small white dogs, medium size family dogs, big bear like ones, either pulling on the leash, controlling their owners, or barking at my dog, seemingly oblivious to the fact that he is not a dog to mess with. All the while mine walks beside beside me never passing my leg with his shoulders, and just glances at all these other dogs and their irresponsible owners as if he knows what I do. Absolutely gsd's have a bad wrap, but to suggest to get a different breed if you want a friendly or trustworthy dog....pick that advice up with your doggy bag and throw it in the trash, you give the gsd the devotion it needs and you will never have a more friendly or trustworthy dog in your life.
Glad you are able to spend time with your dog, very few owners do though. I generally dispose doggy bags as required, so no problem. I still stand with my previous point though as GSD bad rep is well deserved. Never thought of them as bad until I got a dog and had to meet these dogs on streets and dog parks (which we rarely visit now, due to poorly trained dogs, gsds included). I'd trust a Pitbull or a Rottweiler quicker than GSDs or huskys. I am sure there are good examples out there, too bad the majority of them live up to their rep.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
38402 posts
5524 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Thanks to those who have contributed here. To those who are posting their fair share of the breed by criticizing it, please refrain from doing so. I don't like my thread to be cluttered.

I know what I am getting into, and I know the breed. Just because of a few bad apples, doesn't mean the breed is entirely bad. The same could be said for pitbulls, rotweillers, Dobermans, Bull Mastifs, etc.

Thanks