None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2005
7604 posts
461 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote:
Jul 8th, 2016 2:13 pm
If you look at the totals in the table in this article, it shows that the Germans with 1,312,000 immigrants should have more of an issue that the UK with 1,160,000. The fact is they don't because they recognize the value of immigration whereas the Brits don't and hence their problem. Also, the 675,000 Brits who have moved to other countries are probably very happy with the current arrangement.

Not what the polls indicate.The conservative and right wing groups has picked up lots of supporters since 2014 and one of the reason is limiting immigration.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
5934 posts
419 upvotes
Toronto
gizmo8 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2016 6:02 pm
Not what the polls indicate.The conservative and right wing groups has picked up lots of supporters since 2014 and one of the reason is limiting immigration.
This article is dated November 2014 and says:

"Forty per cent of the British public consider immigration to be the most pressing issue facing the country, compared with just over 20% of people in Germany, a poll has found."

and, reinforcing my personal experience:

“Refugees to Germany may not feel that they are welcomed with open arms, but they feel accepted.”

Can't find anything more recent but accept your comment. I think what has distorted the situation in Germany is not EU migration but the influx and number of refugees since the time of the above article.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
5934 posts
419 upvotes
Toronto
And then there was one!

The UK Conservative Party leadership race was down to Theresa May and Andrea Leadsom after the elimination of Boris killer, Michael Gove last week.

There is a profile of Theresa May here and Andrea Leadsom here.

Today, there is news that Leadsom has dropped out so now the party has to decide whether to appoint May immediately, or, reset and start over, or, something in between.

UPDATE: no sooner than I posted this than the news came in that May will be taking over from Cameron this week.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
5934 posts
419 upvotes
Toronto
I see BoJo got his reward today. The new PM, Theresa May, has made him Foreign Secretary, the equivalent of our Minister of Foreign Affairs.

According to the BBC here:

"Mr Johnson said he was "very humbled" to be appointed foreign secretary. He said Mrs May had made a "wonderful speech" earlier, saying there was a "massive opportunity in this country to make a great success of our new relationship with Europe and with the world". But Lib Dem leader Tim Farron predicted Mr Johnson would "spend more time apologising to nations he's offended" than working as foreign secretary."
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
5508 posts
550 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
Jimbobs wrote:
Jul 11th, 2016 12:06 pm
And then there was one!

The UK Conservative Party leadership race was down to Theresa May and Andrea Leadsom after the elimination of Boris killer, Michael Gove last week.

There is a profile of Theresa May here and Andrea Leadsom here.

Today, there is news that Leadsom has dropped out so now the party has to decide whether to appoint May immediately, or, reset and start over, or, something in between.

UPDATE: no sooner than I posted this than the news came in that May will be taking over from Cameron this week.
The Theresa May who has been crowned Prime Minister is the same Theresa May who opposed Brexit, then embraced it and last week said,
“I have been clear from the start: the party and the country deserve an open, honest, robust debate and the next leader needs to have a mandate to lead,” Mrs May said. “So there should be no deals, no tactical voting, no coronation."
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/bb9fb4a0-4383 ... z4EOMNql34

It would be difficult to accuse her of not being "flexible" in her approaches to acquiring power. :)
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
5934 posts
419 upvotes
Toronto
MexiCanuck wrote:
Jul 14th, 2016 10:12 am
... It would be difficult to accuse her of not being "flexible" in her approaches to acquiring power. :)
Prior to this, the only thing I knew about her was that she opposed and successfully resisted the extradition of hacker Gary McKinnon to the US. Full story here.

In her recent rise to power, my bet is that she was as surprised as anybody to get the opportunity. However, when it landed in her lap, she just went for it - whatever "flexibility" it took :)
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
10894 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
gizmo8 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2016 6:02 pm
I read somewhere that UK is one of the most purely European with not as much mixing of immigrants. Or was it here I read that :confused: ?
Film crew at Santa's workshop are reminded of a flatulence-free working environment. It can be heard by millions of viewers, makes Santa faint, and ignition by camera may cause explosion sending reindeer flying in all directions. Thnx for your cooperaton.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4031 posts
49 upvotes
Austin/Markham
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Jul 15th, 2016 7:00 am
I read somewhere that UK is one of the most purely European with not as much mixing of immigrants. Or was it here I read that :confused: ?
I think its the opposite. Since its mainly English speaking, it attracts a lot of international immigrants, especially from the commonwealth countries. You'll see a ton of Indians, Chinese, as well as blacks and muslims there. IMHO Europe is wayyy more homogeneous than UK.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
5934 posts
419 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Jul 15th, 2016 7:00 am
Like all former colonial powers, the UK has attracted immigrants for many years, often reflecting political upheaval or the economic situation in their home countries. Irish people, for example, have always considered the UK as an alternative to living and working in Ireland. Former colonies like Jamaica and other Caribbean countries, India and Pakistan have also contributed huge numbers of immigrants to the UK since the 1960's. London probably has the biggest mix of people than any other city in the world.
Apr 1, 2013
397 posts
57 upvotes
BC
If Turkey was part of EU, Turkish people including including those military coup and terrorists can freely go anywhere in EU including UK. BREXIT is smart to get out of EU before Turkey becomes part of EU.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
5994 posts
385 upvotes
chekacr9 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2016 10:07 pm
If Turkey was part of EU, Turkish people including including those military coup and terrorists can freely go anywhere in EU including UK. BREXIT is smart to get out of EU before Turkey becomes part of EU.
Brexit doesnt mean they will automatically close the borders and kick everyone out of the country. Thats 1 thing people dont get, but hope for.

Also, barring any new deals with individual european countries not in the EU, UK should get ready for mass layoffs over the next couple of years, as they get cut off from the EU market they currently have access to.
Good luck exporting UK products to the Middle East and North/South America because there isnt anyone else closer to sell stuff to.

Oddly enough, its the blue collar workers to suffer the most. White collar types will move out to Brussels/Paris or Madrid, whichever gets the US and EU banks business once they leave London. There's no such luck for farmers or factory working types.

As for the terrorists, the France and Belgium ones were "local" french and belgian guys. Have fun stopping people from giving birth, or raising their kids in a sh1tty way.
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
10894 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
chekacr9 wrote:
But Schengen is different from EU. EU controls trade, Schengen controls immigration. Did I even spell that right? lol
Film crew at Santa's workshop are reminded of a flatulence-free working environment. It can be heard by millions of viewers, makes Santa faint, and ignition by camera may cause explosion sending reindeer flying in all directions. Thnx for your cooperaton.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
5934 posts
419 upvotes
Toronto
chekacr9 wrote:
This is simply not so! The ability to travel anywhere and work anywhere can and has been limited in the past and certainly will in the future. Look up the Schengen Area or Amsterdam Treaty for a better understanding of this topic.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
5934 posts
419 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Jul 17th, 2016 6:07 pm
But Schengen is different from EU. EU controls trade, Schengen controls immigration. Did I even spell that right? lol
You are correct and so is your spelling. The Schengen Agreement is so-called because it was agreed in a city called Schengen in Luxembourg back in 1985 in the days of the EEC. Later it became the Schegen Convention and later still the Amsterdam Treaty which came into effect in 1999.

The UK and Ireland opted out of the Schengen Agreement and have their own border controls today.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel