Expired Hot Deals

[The Brick] The Brick Preffered Pricing

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2007 2:50 pm
Dec 28, 2006
11 posts

[The Brick] The Brick Preffered Pricing

Hi Guys,

I just bought a home in Brampton and my realtor gave me a certificate for Preferred Pricing through the Bricks Commercial Sales Department.

HAs anyone ever got this deal ? Can you tell me how much off you get and what was your experience.

14 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14348 posts
Depends on the item. Electronics are generally a lot less than furniture.

The good thing is, the department that handles your discount certificate is pretty lenient on how long you can use it. You could end up getting discounts for years!
Blacklisted brands: Sony, Lenovo, Dell, Vizio
Apr 11, 2005
989 posts
When I tried to use mine they said they couldn't do any better than the flyer price. I was not surprised, it's just a gimmick.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
5310 posts
IMO: The integrity of the brick is only one grade better than MDG
Feb 11, 2007
527 posts
My girlfriend is a realtor and has a stack of these certificates, and we priced out a few tv's with them and they were about the same as fs or bb. Didnt wind up using them, yeah Id say they are a gimmick
Jan 1, 2005
23 posts
1 upvote
Have fun with that certificate. Not sure if you've actually gone into the store with it yet or not, but we found it one of the most bizarre and frustrating shopping experiences we've ever had.

You don't deal with just any store associate....you have to meet with "the commercial associate" and you will NEVER find out what the certificate is actually worth. It doesn't matter what the sticker prices say or especially the sale tag prices....none of that matters since they have to look at their "special commercial rates" for the prices.

All in all, I think you do end up with significant savings vs. the regular prices. The frustration for us though, was that we kept wanting to figure out whether we should use the certificate to upgrade 3 appliances and simply find the 2 remaining appliances on sale somewhere and buy them out of our pocket. The bottom line was, they made it very difficult to figure out how to combine upgraded appliances along with standards to get the best deal.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2006
2130 posts
I received one of those pieces of paper when I moved into this condo.

I went to the brick and like the fellow poster, you could only deal with the "commercial" salesperson. Unfortunately, I had previously expressed interest in a certain furniture and tv with that guy. So, when I came back with the pieces of paper, I couldn't do any better than the ongoing sales.

Basically, that preferred sale coupon you have is what it is - just a piece of paper.

If I remember, you couldn't even write on the back of it! It must be recycled (or thrown away).
Aug 9, 2006
15 posts
I had a good experience, although you need to still know what the competition is doing. The salesman explained to me that it is calculated cost up rather than retail down. How much they add to their cost depends on what type of product you buy, electronics has less margin than say, a couch or a freezer. I saw his screens on the computer as he did it and it was legit (for me anyway, maybe I got lucky.) I got an HDTV for a good price, and when it came on sale a week later in their flyer for the same price as I got it for, I called him and he lowered it further. I didn't get my Starchoice DVR for less because they were already selling it below cost for a promotion. He also knocked 50% off delivery.

The bottom line is that your mileage may vary, you could maybe haggle for the same price without this special deal but it is easy to get a good price this way. Especially if you need to outfit an entire house. You still need to keep an eye on other retailers' prices though. Nothing is perfect.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
4027 posts
its a contractor price and depends on the Bricks mark up -we have a contact at their sudbury ( I think) office he will give a price based on their costs, sometimes sale prices are the same as the contractor pricing. Generally furniture has a much bigger mark up then electronics. The other big benefit is free delivery. I have lots of stuff thru them and so have many of m clients

I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Feb 26, 2005
249 posts
Notwithstanding this preferred card/certificate referred to by the OP, I've used the Brick's commercial sales department through another program I have access to and I've obtained good prices for furniture and appliances. While furniture would be hard to compare to the competition because everyone sells different products, in terms of appliances I could not have obtained as good a deal if I bought retail.
Jun 9, 2006
36 posts
I have one of these coupons from my realtor but haven't used it yet. I was looking at a stove that the brick had on for $999. When I checked FS they had it on for $869 with $100 off (so $769). I went into the brick and the best price the "commercial salesperson" could give me was $779. When I told him the price at FS he told me I was better off buying from a regular salesperson and pricematching FS.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2004
1808 posts
I had that cert as well and I priced up all my furniture with the "commercial sales Rep" but then they said I could not take advantage of the dont pay for a year because of the special pricing I recieved so I walked away.

I went to another brick talked to a regular rep and was able to negotiate the same prices (I think some were a little better) and I was able to take advantage of the dont pay for a year.
Feb 20, 2005
185 posts
In general, the Brick commercial pricing is excellent for furniture and appliances. I don't know for sure but I would agree with the cost plus pricing statement. If you compare retail and even sales, the Brick will generally be better. If you compare clearance prices, then the Brick will usually not be better. I have not really priced out electronics there but all of the appliance quotes I've received from them are generally very good in terms of discounts. Yes, you do have to deal with the commercial sales person only and can't just walk in but I find it's easier to get pricing over the phone or email.
Mar 26, 2005
19 posts
1 upvote
I had one of those as well, and although it was a painful process (the sales associate couldn't work a computer, and it took over an hour to get prices) it actually gave a pretty good price on appliances. Problem with The Brick was that they had to get the items delivered from somewhere, and didn't know if I would get them for the day I moved in. This was unacceptable for me since I didn't want to live a couple weeks without a fridge! But the only way that they would reserve the items and price for me was if they invoiced me for it, which was weird...

So in true RFD fashion, I took the Brick's invoice, ran to Futureshop, had them price match it for an extra 10% off the difference and cancelled the Brick invoice, and got all my appliances on move day. :D
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4323 posts
Gooser wrote:
Mar 1st, 2007 9:22 am
I have one of these coupons from my realtor but haven't used it yet. I was looking at a stove that the brick had on for $999. When I checked FS they had it on for $869 with $100 off (so $769). I went into the brick and the best price the "commercial salesperson" could give me was $779. When I told him the price at FS he told me I was better off buying from a regular salesperson and pricematching FS.
Same experience here. the Brick made FS prices for stoves look like a boxing day special!
Everything was marked up $100-200 over the manufacturers suggested MSRP at the Brick!
× < >