The Brick and their misleading warranties

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2011 4:08 pm
[OP]
Apr 28, 2011
2 posts
LACOLLE

The Brick and their misleading warranties

I'll try to keep this short, it has been ongoing for over 2 months now.

In 2007 i bought a tv from the brick with a 6 year extended warranty. The tv was $2,000 before taxes and they had a promotion that week for a free stand ($300 value). 3 months ago, the tv stops working. I call the brick and they have someone from transglobal (owned by the brick?) come to my house 3 weeks after my call to look at the tv. The report that he sent to the brick indicated that he would not be able to fix the tv.

The brick calls me and tells me to come to the store to pick out a new tv. I get to the store the same day and pick out a samsung tv for exactly 2k (They told me I essentially have a 2k credit towards any tv only). After picking out the tv they try forcing another warranty on me and I decline several times only to be called an idiot by the store employee because "you get it refunded after 4 years if you don't use it". Then they realize the paperwork isn't done and I need to come back next week. I go back the next week and they say I will only be entitled to a tv for $1700 because I paid 300$ for the stand (incorrect as on my original bill of sale it says "stand - FREE".

I contacted customer support only to be told that it doesn't matter what my bill says, their computers are right and my receipt is wrong (lol). They got so frustrated that one supervisor said: "Too bad, I'm going to cancel the replacement authorization and you'll be stuck with a broken tv".

For the next 6-7 weeks I have unable to speak to anybody about this matter, everyone I call tells me to call another number.

All in all it's a pretty bad experience and a lot of time wasted in store and much more time on the phone. I'd seriously advise you all not to ever purchase an extended warranty or anything from the brick really. I'll be forwarding this thread to their customer support so flame on.
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2007
7084 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
What's wrong with another extended warranty? It came in handy this time.
Temp. Banned
Sep 6, 2009
2182 posts
206 upvotes
Spiderman704 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2011 12:51 am
I'll try to keep this short, it has been ongoing for over 2 months now.

In 2007 i bought a tv from the brick with a 6 year extended warranty. The tv was $2,000 before taxes and they had a promotion that week for a free stand ($300 value). 3 months ago, the tv stops working. I call the brick and they have someone from transglobal (owned by the brick?) come to my house 3 weeks after my call to look at the tv. The report that he sent to the brick indicated that he would not be able to fix the tv.

The brick calls me and tells me to come to the store to pick out a new tv. I get to the store the same day and pick out a samsung tv for exactly 2k (They told me I essentially have a 2k credit towards any tv only). After picking out the tv they try forcing another warranty on me and I decline several times only to be called an idiot by the store employee because "you get it refunded after 4 years if you don't use it". Then they realize the paperwork isn't done and I need to come back next week. I go back the next week and they say I will only be entitled to a tv for $1700 because I paid 300$ for the stand (incorrect as on my original bill of sale it says "stand - FREE".

I contacted customer support only to be told that it doesn't matter what my bill says, their computers are right and my receipt is wrong (lol). They got so frustrated that one supervisor said: "Too bad, I'm going to cancel the replacement authorization and you'll be stuck with a broken tv".

For the next 6-7 weeks I have unable to speak to anybody about this matter, everyone I call tells me to call another number.

All in all it's a pretty bad experience and a lot of time wasted in store and much more time on the phone. I'd seriously advise you all not to ever purchase an extended warranty or anything from the brick really. I'll be forwarding this thread to their customer support so flame on.

Transglobal is the warrnty company of the brick. As for the $2000 credit equaling out to be $1700 I wouldn't think its a case of them subtracting the stand off the purchase price but rather a depreciation of value. Now unless your receipt[t states Tv $2000 Stand $0 then you really do not have a case as according to your receipt you only paid $1700 for the tv thus thats what credit you are getting back. That is assuming all in all that you still have your receipt or invoice. I'll try and ask my brother on this matter for you as he works with some people that worked at the brick headoffice and get their opinion on this matter
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2003
1838 posts
158 upvotes
Vancouver
I am pretty certain that even $1700 will get you a tv that is a LOT better than the one from 2007. In most cases, extended warranties typically cover the replacement of a tv of a similar kind. I will take a guess and say that you got a 40" LCD at the time (just as example). That same tv would now cost around $600-$800. Based on this, I would take the $1700 and get a 55" LCD and be done with it. I would consider myself quite lucky to be able to aquire a tv like this under these circumstances.

GYR8
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1058 posts
50 upvotes
London ON
GYR8 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2011 2:23 am
I am pretty certain that even $1700 will get you a tv that is a LOT better than the one from 2007. In most cases, extended warranties typically cover the replacement of a tv of a similar kind. I will take a guess and say that you got a 40" LCD at the time (just as example). That same tv would now cost around $600-$800. Based on this, I would take the $1700 and get a 55" LCD and be done with it. I would consider myself quite lucky to be able to aquire a tv like this under these circumstances.

GYR8

+1
55" lg lcd tv or a 46" lcd 3d tv and you would need the stand again anyways
you can even get a 60" plasma tv in my area for $1700
[OP]
Apr 28, 2011
2 posts
LACOLLE
Totally agree that I'd be getting a better tv. It's just that when the guy pitched the warranty he said a tv of equal value or better (not specs). I thought that made sense cause if you have a warranty from BB on a macbook for example and you need a replacement after 3 years, they give you the new macbook and won't downgrade you to a lesser model even though that model is surely better than the first one you buy. Putting things in perspective it's not a big deal, just dealing with them is a hassle. Thanks for the input
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
As others have said getting $1700 for TV that is 4 years old is a pretty good deal. If they replaced your broken TV with one that has the same features it would not come close to being worth that amount.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2003
1484 posts
622 upvotes
Dude Just take the $1700 credit towards a new (better TV) the time and aggrivation just isn't worth it.
FYI the stand wasn't free as you had to purchase the TV to get it which makes it a package deal, each component of the package has a value and the warranty only covered the TV portion so they can value the stand at what ever they want and deduct that from the package price which is what they have done. So in essence you are SOL for the extra $300 value you would like.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2007
7084 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
bigphil26 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2011 12:13 pm
FYI the stand wasn't free as you had to purchase the TV to get it which makes it a package deal, each component of the package has a value and the warranty only covered the TV portion so they can value the stand at what ever they want and deduct that from the package price which is what they have done. So in essence you are SOL for the extra $300 value you would like.
OK, then since it was a package deal, I would return both the TV and the stand and then would choose whatever TV+stand I can get for $2000 from them.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1058 posts
50 upvotes
London ON
xalex0 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2011 1:49 pm
OK, then since it was a package deal, I would return both the TV and the stand and then would choose whatever TV+stand I can get for $2000 from them.

which would be a $1700 tv and a $300 stand
the lowest price stand is $200 and go up from there
http://www1.thebrick.com/brickb2c/jsp/c ... navCount=3

http://www1.thebrick.com/brickb2c/jsp/c ... navCount=3
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2007
7084 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
jordanr1987 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2011 2:17 pm
which would be a $1700 tv and a $300 stand
Sure, but at least you would get to choose a stand that fits better to the new TV. And it will be new.
Dec 10, 2006
275 posts
33 upvotes
If it was the stand that broke, would you have been happy with a $0 credit, to be used against any TV stand?
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
4215 posts
640 upvotes
Edmonton
Leon's leather care is horrible so just my two cents. They only cover human related damage does not include damage cause by humans.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.