Shopping Discussion

Brick wants customers to refund it for website discount error

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2014 4:55 pm
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1010 upvotes
iamnotamerican.com wrote:
Dec 29th, 2013 1:26 am
So, if the mistake was one that charged you too much money, would they be able to keep that extra money?
According the article that's whats happening in a way.
The Brick items online
Tuesday night and
Wednesday morning
received an extra 50%
discount on their
purchases at checkout
and are now being told it
was a technical error and
the Brick wants more
money.
It's one thing to cancel orders but to tell customers to pay MORE money because of their mistake is uber sleezy.

You wont see WalMart, Target or Costco do that. Oh and they all also happen to sell furniture.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4096 posts
105 upvotes
Tahsis
iamnotamerican.com wrote:
Dec 29th, 2013 1:26 am
So, if the mistake was one that charged you too much money, would they be able to keep that extra money? According to your argument, they must, because "that how life work!"
You have a point but you don't need to pick on his grammar, he's from Quebec and likely conversing in his second language.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1985 posts
158 upvotes
So the customers intended to purchase the product at the advertised price, then completed the sale after the website goofed up and showed a reduced price.

Anyone who thinks the customer should get the reduced price is out to lunch.

I don't see any intent to purposefully mislead consumers here.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 27, 2004
11507 posts
1316 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
iamnotamerican.com wrote:
Dec 29th, 2013 1:26 am
So, if the mistake was one that charged you too much money, would they be able to keep that extra money? According to your argument, they must, because "that how life work!"
That's not the same at all. If the store charges you too much money, it is still their mistake. The original statement was "If I made a mistake, I PAY FOR IT, THAT IT. That how life work !"

Now, if you were keying in the amount of a tip, and you entered $200 instead of $20, then that is your mistake. That would be the valid counter-argument.

The Quebecois dude says that it is law in his province to honour price mistakes, so if he's correct, then The Brick has to honour it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
208 upvotes
Surrey
rommelrommel wrote:
Dec 29th, 2013 2:24 am
You have a point but you don't need to pick on his grammar, he's from Quebec and likely conversing in his second language.
Wasn't picking on his grammar. I quoted him. I would have done exactly the same thing if he had written it in flowing English.
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
Newbie
Nov 15, 2004
91 posts
4 upvotes
NG wrote:
Dec 29th, 2013 1:46 am
According the article that's whats happening in a way.



It's one thing to cancel orders but to tell customers to pay MORE money because of their mistake is uber sleezy.

You wont see WalMart, Target or Costco do that. Oh and they all also happen to sell furniture.
They're giving customers the option, of either cancelling their orders or buying the items at the intended (and advertised) sale price.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 19, 2001
30031 posts
1326 upvotes
Fernando Po
People still order from those crooks?
Newbie
User avatar
Jul 23, 2013
69 posts
9 upvotes
Thornhill
Theres the old saying "If its too good to be true it probably is"
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1171 posts
79 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
Too bad, 50 off sounds like a legitamate Black Friday deal and I would have fallen for it too. I guess the really problem is that the brick didn't get a chance to raise their "normal" price before taking the 50 off.

Seems to me like a sleepy money grab on the bricks end. I know a bunch of people who wouldn't cancel their order and would just pay more.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1010 upvotes
Cuttooth wrote:
Dec 29th, 2013 3:33 am
They're giving customers the option, of either cancelling their orders or buying the items at the intended (and advertised) sale price.
Sounds like they're giving themselves the chance of still making a sale. And another sale in the future by only offering 10% off the NEXT order.
hagbard wrote:
Dec 29th, 2013 8:49 am
People still order from those crooks?
Yeah apparently so...That's the problem with this country that some consumers still accept scammy service from stores.

I'll readily agree America isn't perfect but I've come to the point when I think of a Canadian business (like Leons or The Brick) I automatically wonder what kind of scam they're running and try to avoid them.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
If the credit card has not been charged I have no problem with the Brick (and I hate the Brick and will not shop there) giving the customer the option of paying the original sale price or having the order cancelled however if the credit card has already been charged then they should honor their mistake. I would consider them returning the amount paid to a credit card as an unauthorized transaction and I know I would be angry if anyone performed any transaction on my credit card without my knowledge and consent. If the cards were charged and the Brick does not give the items I feel it would be the same as an item ringing up incorrectly at the till and the customer being stopped on the way out of the store and told that they need to pay more or return the item. They have a bill of sale from the retailer and the retailer has accepted payment. The product now belongs to the customer regardless or whether the Brick has possession of it or not.
Jr. Member
Dec 25, 2009
163 posts
27 upvotes
Hunter316 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2013 10:44 pm
... If the cards were charged and the Brick does not give the items I feel it would be the same as an item ringing up incorrectly at the till and the customer being stopped on the way out of the store and told that they need to pay more or return the item. They have a bill of sale from the retailer and the retailer has accepted payment. The product now belongs to the customer regardless or whether the Brick has possession of it or not.
Actually no outside of Quebec:
TheBrick wrote: The Brick endeavours to provide current and accurate information on the Website. However, misprints, errors, inaccuracies, omissions (including incorrect specifications for products) or other errors may sometimes occur. The Brick cannot guarantee that products and services advertised on the Website will be available when ordered or thereafter. The Brick does not warrant that the content of the Website including, without limitation, product descriptions or photographs, is accurate or complete.

The Brick reserves the right to: (a) correct any error, inaccuracy or omission at any time without prior notice or liability to you or any other person; (b) change at any time the products and services advertised or made available for sale on the Website, the prices, fees, charges and specifications of such products and services, any promotional offers and any other Website content without any notice or liability to you or any other person; (c) reject, correct, cancel or terminate any order, including accepted orders for any reason and (d) limit quantities available for sale or sold.
If they had the same notice in their stories, it could say:

The Brick reserves the right to correct your order, including accepted orders for any reason
Member
User avatar
Dec 22, 2011
326 posts
65 upvotes
Oakville
Why are people still shopping at a place that has no regard at all for their customers.(Speaking of course from personal experience).
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
shoppingmatters wrote:
Dec 30th, 2013 11:24 am
Actually no outside of Quebec:

If they had the same notice in their stories, it could say:

The Brick reserves the right to correct your order, including accepted orders for any reason
There is a difference between accepted and charged. Once card has been charged a sale has been completed.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14170 posts
4107 upvotes
Here 'n There
True but the retailers terms and conditions may override this. Has this ever been tested in court? It's pretty cheap to sue in small claims court

Top