Shopping Discussion

Brick wants customers to refund it for website discount error

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2014 4:55 pm
Jul 4, 2009
914 posts
87 upvotes
Mississauga area
I could understand why people are upset. The Brick should make more effort to remedy the error. Maybe they're not willing to eat 50%, but maybe should meet the customer half way, say 25%.

As a customer shopping for boxing day sales, the fact that they are trying to cancel the orders a few days later doesn't take into account the fact that the customer has lost on potential sales from other stores. If I was buying a TV, and I bought it from The Brick for $500 and other stores are offering it for $800, but due to The Bricks error, I have to pay $1000 for that same TV that I could have potentially bought for $800 but now I can't because its out of stock, I would be royally peeved.

The Brick could do whatever they want within legal limits, but they have a lot to learn about customer service and the importance of having repeat customers. Its hearing stories like this that makes me not want to shop at The Brick and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18923 posts
2226 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I actually applaud Quebec in this manner. Too many websites make too many errors. If they're too cheap to hire professionals that can do a good job that should be the price they pay. Put in checks to make sure things like this don't happen. How difficult would it be to require a supervisor / admin password to list anything below a certain price point on a product?

Do they not have a testing algorithm for when new products and promo's are added to the shopping cart?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5383 posts
983 upvotes
I don't see why they don't use the same flow as Costco. The order is submitted but not processed. Costco checks EVERY transaction for stock before accepting and processing the order. I think NCIX, Newegg, and a few others use this same flow.
No external links in signatures - Mods
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11421 posts
2397 upvotes
Montreal
eonibm wrote:
Dec 31st, 2013 9:10 am
True but the retailers terms and conditions may override this.
Nope
Article 224.c from the QC OPC, in laymen terms: If price was shown as X$ for item Y, they have to sell item Y at X$, NO MATTER WHAT.
Banned
Dec 30, 2013
284 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Would be hilarious if people went to small claims court, and the court sided with Brick, and then Brick countersued for frivolous lawsuit.

Like really? You saw the final price, you saw the price on the product, you saw the price on the checkout, did it not clue in that hey, this was an error?

Also, to the people here from Quebec, the article refers to advertised price. The fact that your item changed to 50% off at the last step, doesn't mean it was advertised at that.

Really want to see some of these people burn their time and money in court. Would be entertaining for the rest of us with common sense.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11421 posts
2397 upvotes
Montreal
cHiNgChInG99 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2013 12:59 pm
Like really? You saw the final price, you saw the price on the product, you saw the price on the checkout, did it not clue in that hey, this was an error?
The OPC specifically states in their interpretation of the consumer protection law that in the case of a price ERROR, the lowest price of either cash register/checkout or advertised must be honored.
Yes, it was a price error.
No, the QC consumer protection law does not make exceptions for price errors.

And they did advertise 50% off select items in big bold text.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
261 upvotes
Mississauga
Very poorly handled.
Brick wont have to honour a single one of those 10% discounts as no one invoilved in this deal will ever shop there again.
Banned
Dec 30, 2013
284 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
alkizmo wrote:
Dec 31st, 2013 3:03 pm
The OPC specifically states in their interpretation of the consumer protection law that in the case of a price ERROR, the lowest price of either cash register/checkout or advertised must be honored.
Yes, it was a price error.
No, the QC consumer protection law does not make exceptions for price errors.

And they did advertise 50% off select items in big bold text.
No reasonable person would expect that the checkout price would be honored.

Like I said, I would love to see some idiot try to take the Brick to court. The reasonable test wouldn't pass. Brick would win, and If I was on Brick's team, I'd counter sue the hell out of the cheap ***** families who wasted my time with what is obviously an error.
Banned
Dec 30, 2013
284 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
stealth wrote:
Dec 31st, 2013 3:07 pm
Very poorly handled.
Brick wont have to honour a single one of those 10% discounts as no one invoilved in this deal will ever shop there again.
There are some type of consumers that the company is better off from. These whining penny pinchers would be one of them I'd imagine. Good riddance in my opinion.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11421 posts
2397 upvotes
Montreal
cHiNgChInG99 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2013 3:45 pm
No reasonable person would expect that the checkout price would be honored.
Why would it not be reasonable? Most consumers will see things 75% off at canadian tire and think it could happen on HDTVs. And why would it not be reasonable to expect to pay the checkout price, knowing it is a price error, when the law says you should DEMAND it?
Banned
Dec 30, 2013
284 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
alkizmo wrote:
Dec 31st, 2013 3:47 pm
Why would it not be reasonable? Most consumers will see things 75% off at canadian tire and think it could happen on HDTVs. And why would it not be reasonable to expect to pay the checkout price, knowing it is a price error, when the law says you should DEMAND it?
Because the 50% off, was already provided, discounted, all over the pages. They got the 50% off. All the prices match except the last glitch, which is 50% on top of 50% off, do you know what that is? Do some basic math. It's 75% off 50% off on something already 50% off, is 75%. Did Brick advertise 75% off? No.

Its not reasonable to pay the checkout price because Brick never charged the price on the card. Putting a hold on the card isn't the same as charging the account. Other merchants put a hold of a $1 on the card, are you going to tell me that those customers should assume that whatever they bought should be had for $1 and not the full amount?

Funny you refer to "the law". Canadian law doesn't say that. Only the backwards Quebec law does.

Ever wonder why Quebec is excluded from most promotions, raffles, gift give offs? This is why. Most companies don't want to deal with the type of people in that backwards province.

I laugh if at these people that genuinely think they are entitled to receive 75% off on what's clearly an error.

As the famous saying goes: NEVER GO FULL R-----!
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11421 posts
2397 upvotes
Montreal
cHiNgChInG99 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2013 4:12 pm
Because the 50% off, was already provided, discounted, all over the pages. They got the 50% off.
Yes they did, and then at check out, another 50% was knocked off the discounted price. Boxing day super sale?! Maybe believable for the non-RFD pros. The OPC won't care whether you should have done the math.
cHiNgChInG99 wrote:
All the prices match except the last glitch, which is 50% on top of 50% off, do you know what that is? Do some basic math. It's 75% off 50% off on something already 50% off, is 75%. Did Brick advertise 75% off? No.
Who knows if the Brick ever did 75% off? What the typical consumer will know is that 75% off sale does happen, at places.
Again, WE, RFD members, are not the typical consumer. The OPC isn't there to protect people like us, it's there to protect the average consumer.
You.. you are RFD member who gets banned every other day... or you are a The Brick PR attempt at looking like they are the victims. Right now, I see this as Hannibal Lecter being caught by Dexter.

cHiNgChInG99 wrote:
Its not reasonable to pay the checkout price because Brick never charged the price on the card. Putting a hold on the card isn't the same as charging the account. Other merchants put a hold of a $1 on the card, are you going to tell me that those customers should assume that whatever they bought should be had for $1 and not the full amount?
OPC & judge won't care about that technicality. We're entering the contract zone. You sell, I pay, let's go.
cHiNgChInG99 wrote:
Funny you refer to "the law". Canadian law doesn't say that. Only the backwards Quebec law does.
So what? I am arguing that QC consumers have a case in QC. Provincial law is "the law" in the province. Why do you bring federal law in this debate?
cHiNgChInG99 wrote:
Ever wonder why Quebec is excluded from most promotions, raffles, gift give offs? This is why. Most companies don't want to deal with the type of people in that backwards province.
Really? I am glad that promotions, rafles and gifts give offs that are meant to pretend like there is a freebie, but actually there is false advertising and private information gathering, stays OUT of QC.

cHiNgChInG99 wrote:
I laugh if at these people that genuinely think they are entitled to receive 75% off on what's clearly an error.
I don't believe that MORALLY it is "fair". But the law is the law and when it is in favor of punishing a shady corporation like The Brick, then go go go!

cHiNgChInG99 wrote:
As the famous saying goes: NEVER GO FULL R-----!
Ya, too bad The Brick's check out system did go FULL R------
Banned
Dec 30, 2013
284 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
shoppingmatters wrote:
Dec 31st, 2013 4:51 pm
how do you know they never charged the card?
Because it was caught the next day.
alkizmo wrote:
Dec 31st, 2013 5:08 pm
blah blah blah
Did a search for OPC in your post, found 3 instances. So didn't bother reading your nonsense response. I can only imagine what it says about the glorious nation of quebec and the saviors from the evil corporations that are OPC.
Welcome to ignore list.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11421 posts
2397 upvotes
Montreal
cHiNgChInG99 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2013 7:06 pm
Welcome to ignore list.
That's OK, your account won't last long.
You'll start seeing me again on the next one after you get banned.