• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2014 4:55 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
4826 posts
1162 upvotes
eonibm wrote:
Dec 31st, 2013 9:10 am
True but the retailers terms and conditions may override this. Has this ever been tested in court? It's pretty cheap to sue in small claims court
No, the Quebec's consumer protection act (chapter P-40.1) is what is called in civil law, ''loi d'ordre public''.

Means that you can't go against it in a convention (a sale contract for example) under the reserve of the law.
Banned
Dec 30, 2013
284 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
shoppingmatters wrote:
Dec 31st, 2013 7:52 pm
that doesn't mean the cards were not charged, you are guessing
No, Im actually up to speed on the various news stories and especially the running comments on the various sites.

No one was charged for it, they caught it within a few hours. started calling people to advise them, and to decide if they want to pay more, or cancel orders.

Its extremely amusing reading some of the posts from some of these entitled losers on some of these news sites, demanding that brick absorb the loss.... must not have taken a basic business course where a business exists to make a profit.

If you want quality entertainment, just go read some of the comments lol.
Dec 29, 2005
345 posts
49 upvotes
Victoria
I can confirm credit cards weren't charged.Nothing ever came up on as a pending transaction on my statement online. And from what I saw the glitch was fixed before 2am PST. No idea when the glitch first started.

That said, The Brick handled everything poorly.
Dec 25, 2009
163 posts
27 upvotes
magmazing wrote:
Dec 31st, 2013 9:06 pm
I can confirm credit cards weren't charged
then outside of Quebec going to small claims court will be pointless
Banned
Dec 30, 2013
284 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
shoppingmatters wrote:
Dec 31st, 2013 9:09 pm
then outside of Quebec going to small claims court will be pointless
The quebecers going to SC court would be priceless entertainment for the rest of us though... what a mockery of the judicial system. Seulement en la provence!!
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1611 upvotes
North York
for this problem i would have to side with the consumers.
all sales completed before the the error was caught have to be honored.
it is not the consumers fault for the bricks tardyness.
they are a large company and have many staff handling pricing on everything.
they had all year to get this sale down right and screwed up.
not the consumers problem.
Dec 25, 2009
163 posts
27 upvotes
cHiNgChInG99 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2013 9:22 pm
The quebecers going to SC court would be priceless entertainment for the rest of us though... what a mockery of the judicial system. Seulement en la provence!!
how can it be a mockery? Quebec has consumer friendly laws, the court enforces them. The mockery would be from consumer unfriendly posters.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11421 posts
2397 upvotes
Montreal
cHiNgChInG99 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2013 9:22 pm
The quebecers going to SC court would be priceless entertainment for the rest of us though
Yes... because people outside of QC will want to see The Bricks hung and its public execution will be held in QC.

Indeed, it will be entertaining to see The Brick suffer.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1010 upvotes
cHiNgChInG99 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2013 8:26 pm
Its extremely amusing reading some of the posts from some of these entitled losers on some of these news sites, demanding that brick absorb the loss....
alkizmo wrote:
Dec 31st, 2013 5:08 pm
You.. you are RFD member who gets banned every other day... or you are a The Brick PR attempt at looking like they are the victims.
Yep...but Im betting not even a PR rep from HQ...likely just an amateur at PR who works the retail floor as one of those commissioned sales staff akin to a sleezy used car dealer The Brick loves to employ.

Anyways his posts, just like this incident, remind people who The Brick (and Leons) are a bunch of snake oil salesmen and shouldcbe avoided.

Ironically The Brick was bought out by Leons under the premise that they needed to combine resources to fight off competition from WalMart/Ikea/Target etc but it's thankfully a lost cause.
Banned
Dec 30, 2013
284 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
infamouskid wrote:
Dec 31st, 2013 9:23 pm
for this problem i would have to side with the consumers.
all sales completed before the the error was caught have to be honored.
it is not the consumers fault for the bricks tardyness.
they are a large company and have many staff handling pricing on everything.
they had all year to get this sale down right and screwed up.
not the consumers problem.
Judging from your name kid... I'm going to assume you have no idea how business law works.

I'm not going to bother addressing most of your post rather than just pointing out, that the three hours, THREE whole HOURS that it took to catch the problem, isn't considered "tardy" by any reasonable standards.

Like I said, I'd love to see some Quebec buffoon take this to court. The resulting judgement will be legendary.
Banned
Dec 30, 2013
284 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
NG wrote:
Jan 1st, 2014 6:36 am
Yep...but Im betting not even a PR rep from HQ...likely just an amateur at PR who works the retail floor as one of those commissioned sales staff akin to a sleezy used car dealer The Brick loves to employ.

Anyways his posts, just like this incident, remind people who The Brick (and Leons) are a bunch of snake oil salesmen and shouldcbe avoided.

Ironically The Brick was bought out by Leons under the premise that they needed to combine resources to fight off competition from WalMart/Ikea/Target etc but it's thankfully a lost cause.
Kindly don't quote people that are ignored by others in the same quote.

First off, I'm not a PR rep, nor am I someone who's banned. Second of all, because I express a dispopular opinion, I must be sleazy? Sorry for having a mind of my own and having my own opinions that aren't stemmed from a brainwashed entitled society.

Look at the other thread about Target and SOCOP.... Target doesn't participate in SOCOP, which is voluntary, and you have these pretentious entitled people demanding their milk bag or whatever $10 item free. Laughable. People often forget we are a free market economy. No reason to run to the government, crying about bad consumer practices. Vote with your money. Don't like Leons? Brick? Target? Cool. Don't shop there.

Imagine how much tax dollars is wasted in Quebec to have this government run OPC.

Do people realize that frivilous initiatives like this, even in Quebec, are funded through EVERYONE, yes, EVERYONE's tax dollars?
Don't believe me? Educate yourselves on what an Equalization payment is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equalizati ... _in_Canada

"Quebec will receive the most from equalization payments in the 2013-2014 year. "
The following provinces will not qualify for equalization payments in 2013-2014:
Alberta
Saskatchewan
Newfoundland and Labrador
British Columbia

If you dig deep enough, (I can't be bothered to to educate randoms on the internet), you'll see that the list of provinces that does not get the payments varies every year, sometimes Ontario doesn't get them etc. Particularly of interest, and a topic of discussion surrounding this Quebec mockery, is that Quebec, for the last 25 years, has always been classified as a "have-not" province(i.e.: poor), mooching off the rest of the country's payments. Particularly because of extra services they offer (free daycare, this OPC garbage, etc). Every other province, except Quebec, has taken a turn in being a "have" province in about the last 3 decades. By contrast, Alberta has always been a "have" province, and has never (for the last 3 decades), needed Equalization payments.

Now, does this level of education sound like some minimum wage paid PR rep on the Brick Floor?
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1689 posts
232 upvotes
Markham
Though I think heads should roll within The Bricks head offices, I feel it's unrealistic to expect them to honour their screwup. However they should have applied the 10% discount on that same purchase
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
579 upvotes
Toronto
To be honest, I don't think the deal should be honored. Have no opinion on the Brick either.

If someone made the purchase, it's because the 50% originally offered was better or as good as a competitor. I do think they should do 10% off the original purchase.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Dec 25, 2009
163 posts
27 upvotes
cHiNgChInG99 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2014 1:50 pm
Now, does this level of education sound like some minimum wage paid PR rep on the Brick Floor?
no, they have more education