None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9393 posts
2776 upvotes
Ottawa

Bring Rogers smartphone to South Korea?

Guys, just wondering if you (or somebody you know) have brought Rogers smartphone to South Korea to use?

My wife is going there in a few weeks and she would like to bring her phone (Note 1) with her. I did some research and Rogers does have partnership with SK Telecom but she would have to rent or purchase a CDMA phone as Rogers uses GSM and South Korea uses CDMA.

I thought about unlocking the phone for her and she can then simply pop in a local SIM card but again if the technology is different, I'm not sure if her phone will work?

I have suggested to her that it's better to rent/buy a cheap local phone and you don't have to worry about any exorbitant charges/incompatibility but she would like to bring her phone as it contains all addresses and contact info.

I'm still doing further research but if you have any tips/tidbits to share, please go ahead.

Thanks.
Please contact for $-saving tips prior to purchasing Mattamy/Monarch homes in Ottawa.
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2006
9659 posts
442 upvotes
North America
royroces wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 5:57 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mo ... outh_Korea

Looks like there are two GSM carriers (KT and LG U+) that would support the Note 1 if unlocked. They seem to be the newer carriers.
New? Not even close....KT was founded as South Korea's state corporation to lead the country's telecom industry and LG U+ has been in the business for almost two decades. Getting foreign smartphones to work in South Korea is a matter of bringing your unlocked WCDMA phone to a KT Global Store to register and activate it.

http://expatblog.kt.com/201
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9393 posts
2776 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks for the info guys, I did further research and also confirmed with what Azn posted above that the Note is usable in South Korea once we unlock it.

I will do just that before she goes on her trip. Thanks again guys.
Please contact for $-saving tips prior to purchasing Mattamy/Monarch homes in Ottawa.
× < >