• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2011 8:57 am
Tags:
None
Apr 3, 2006
841 posts
159 upvotes

Bringing Alcohol Across the US border?

Is alcohol and tobacco allowed to be brought across to the border in a car?
Would they even ask?

Second Part is that my friends and I are 19 and 20 yr olds, would that have a factor as well considering drinking age is 21 in US?

Thanks for any feedback!!
"A festivus for the rest of us"
29 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1095 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
you can bring alchohol across the border but it has to be declared and under a certain amount. Considering your underage there you will probably have a big problem with that one. I know my parents used to bring whiskey and rum they didnt drink on vacation back. Plus duty free! This is just from my memory so i could be 100% wrong on this one but i think im 50/50. I will try to look it up.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.
Confucius

Heatware
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6287 posts
9 upvotes
Waterloo
You probably shouldn't try to bring booze across. They might take it from you.

And if you don't tell them about it and they find it you might have a problem with them. Don't give them any excuses to screw with you.

Tobacco I don't think you'll have any problems with as the smoking age is 18 in the US. If you're just bringing across like single packs for your own use they probably won't care. If you're briing entire cartons then that might be a different story.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1095 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Here you go

http://www.visitwindsor.com/before%20yo ... #cdnreturn

Quote:
Canadians returning to Canada from the U.S., after an absence of more than 24 but less than 48 hours are allowed to bring back $50 Can. worth of goods duty free, per person. (This exemption does not include tobacco and alcohol products.) Those away for more than 48 hours may bring back $200 worth of goods; $750 worth of goods may be brought back duty free after an absence of 7 days. (The latter two exemptions do allow for tobacco and alcohol products.) For more information, call Canada Border Services Agency at any time, seven days a week:

Within Canada - 1-800-461-9999 (English) or 1-800-959-2036 (French);
Outside Canada - (506) 636-5064 (English) or (506) 636-5067 (French)

... or visit their web site at www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca

Canadians entering the United States may take one litre of liquor (must be 21 years of age) and one carton of cigarettes (must be 19 years of age) free of duty.

Citizens of other countries returning to their country of origin should check with that country's Customs officials prior to traveling to Canada, to determine allowances. If already in Canada, contact a Canadian travel agency for assistance or any Duty Free Store.
Confucius

Heatware
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3078 posts
36 upvotes
you need to be 21 to buy stuff at the duty free in canada to take to the u.s.

you need to be 19 to buy stuff at the duty free in the u.s., but you have to have stayed in the U.S for a min of 48 hrs (2 days) to bring back a 24 of beer, or a litre of alcohol, or a carton of cigarettes.

I've brought back stuff before (purchased at the cdn duty free, taken over to the u.s., and brought back later that day). If they search your car, you're screwed. I've always been lucky, but I'm never gonna try to sneak anything back -- it's not worth the risk.
My Heatware: 100% positive
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6530 posts
414 upvotes
Toronto
The link in my signature will forward you to the official government document that details all your travel exemptions and general information about the Customs Process.

Anything you read in the I Declare guide should be believed and trusted over ANYTHING you read on RFD.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Nov 28, 2005
918 posts
9 upvotes
Windsor
If they catch you smuggling.
your flagged, for next time.

prepare to bend over every time you cross > :(
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6530 posts
414 upvotes
Toronto
feet_ wrote:If they catch you smuggling.
your flagged, for next time.

prepare to bend over every time you cross > :(
Bending over everytime, no.

Flagged for next time? Try next 5 years.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1095 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
i thought it was only 3 but i will take your word for it.
Confucius

Heatware
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6530 posts
414 upvotes
Toronto
mrfrostyman wrote:i thought it was only 3 but i will take your word for it.
3-5, depends on the type of enforcement action.
[OP]
Apr 3, 2006
841 posts
159 upvotes
Thanks for the info. We won't take our chances, we'll wait next summer when we're 21! :|
"A festivus for the rest of us"
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
6667 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
as stated above the US Duty free shop is the ONLY place in America where you can legally buy booze at the age of 19 provided it is going to be taken with you to Canada.

Likewise Canada Duty free is the only place you need to be 21 to buy booze
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3078 posts
36 upvotes
GangStarr wrote:as stated above the US Duty free shop is the ONLY place in America where you can legally buy booze at the age of 19 provided it is going to be taken with you to Canada.
Correct, BUT you have to have stayed in the US for at LEAST 48 hours to bring back booze.
Jan 6, 2004
404 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
tigger03 wrote:Correct, BUT you have to have stayed in the US for at LEAST 48 hours to bring back booze.
You can just drive over and bring back booze/smokes if you wanted. You will just have to pay duty on it that's all. I think the limit is 40 L per day in Ontario.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3078 posts
36 upvotes
spawnr wrote:You can just drive over and bring back booze/smokes if you wanted. You will just have to pay duty on it that's all. I think the limit is 40 L per day in Ontario.
Is it worth doing it this way? Or is it cheaper to just buy it at the LCBO? Cheaper = the price of gas set aside.
× < >