• May 26th, 2014 10:28 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6998 posts
1110 upvotes
Toronto
Driftwood wrote:On a similar vien, my dad is getting a used minivan from his sister. They're coming to Canada and will be leaving it here. Its not worth much, its a '94 Caravan. Does he still have to pay taxes on it?
Yes.
ryan123 wrote:my dad bought an 2006 subaru impreza sports wagon for 19000 US after tax and everything. He has an tn visa, so thats why he can insure the car in USA. He will be coming back around June. So when i declare the value of the car, do i declare the current value of the car after deprecation of the 6 months, or do i tell them the price i bought it for. Even if i have to pay 6% tax, it is still much cheaper than buying from Canada (22152.94). THe same car would have costed 30,000 CAD after tax in ottawa.
I was reading the list of things i need to get modified.
Metric speedometer and odometer labels (provided by inspection centre)DO i need to do this if my car has both the KM and miles label on it.
French supplementary restraint system label for airbags that require periodic maintenance. What is this?
I can't speak for anything related to making the vehicle compliant to Canadian Automobile specs. This is something to take up with RIV.

It's your choice how you want to declare the value of the vehicle. Personally, I'd declare it at the current depreciated market value.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2003
1361 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
Spray wrote:I'm actually buying a car from the USA next month. I'm buying a Subaru Legacy GT Limited for $26,200 USD. The same car fully optioned is around 43,000 Canadian here. I'm saving over $10,000. The car is made in the USA so I'm only going to be taxed %15.

The warranty is also fully transferable to canada, it's an awesome savings.
Can you share more details? What are you going to do about insurance, for the drive back up to Canada? Do you have to get U.S. plates first or something, and then get Ontario plates?
Mar 8, 2005
265 posts
5 upvotes
cwb27 wrote:For example, the Civic Si costs $26,000 USD. Converted to Canadian via an exchange of say 1.11 is $28,860 Cdn. Now, you will pay say 7% GST and $100.00 in Excise Tax for the Air Conditioning to the CBSA which equals $2020.20 (GST) + $100.00 (AC Excise tax) For a grand total of $2120.20 Candian in taxes owed to the CBSA. Do not forget that ontop of this you will be paying $209.00 Cdn to the Registrar of Imported Vehicle (Transport Canada).

Therefore, total spent is $2329.20 Canadian for GST, AC Excise and vehicle import fee. THAT IS IT.
Just a sidenote concerning honda/acura vehicles, they do NOT allow transfer of warranty when you import the vehicle, so all manufacturer warranties will be void.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2003
1361 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
sil wrote:Just a sidenote concerning honda/acura vehicles, they do NOT allow transfer of warranty when you import the vehicle, so all manufacturer warranties will be void.
Just wondering, who did you contact in order to confirm that?

Also, for the guy that is buying the subaru, did you have to get an official confirmation from subaru canada that the warranty would be valid in canada?
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2003
1181 posts
247 upvotes
so i guess i have to get a US plate to drive it to the border and after crossing the border cancel the US plate and get a Canadain plate?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6998 posts
1110 upvotes
Toronto
Matrix_dot_ca wrote:so i guess i have to get a US plate to drive it to the border and after crossing the border cancel the US plate and get a Canadain plate?
I can't speak for exactly what will happen, but I've seen many vehicle newly purchased from the US be imported with temp licence plates.

This is not as complicated as many people seem think, of course this assuming you've done your homework and understand the process.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 28, 2005
6409 posts
59 upvotes
Another thing is this dealership located in Amherst, essentially specializes in Canadian buyers. They already have a checklist of what you need and take care of everything for you and tell you EXACTLY what you need to do.
-
Dec 14, 2002
838 posts
169 upvotes
Edmonton
Thanks, cwb. That was ALOT of help and you really uncovered a bunch of "myths"

As for the speedometer. I have a car that was imported from the states (not by me) that has both miles and km's on it, and according to the previous owner, he had no problems.

All he had to change were a few safety related issues, and to add day time running lights.
Mar 15, 2006
639 posts
27 upvotes
Where would you get the temp plates? Just tell the Ministry that you plan on buying a car in the US and ask them to issue you a temp plate?
Feb 1, 2006
5 posts
Canada
This is my daughter's own experience and it is as recent as 2 months ago.
She just graduated in the US and is training there, in Ohio, with a training visa. She recently got an Ohio drivers license. It is not difficult for a Canadian Driver. She needed financing, so the dealership needed to see a job contract for the time she needed the financing. At no time was the question about her immigration status ever discussed. The insurance used her Canadian driving experience, only to get a prefered rate.
We could have paid in full and only an address would be needed; same with the insurance.
While we were at the dealership, the salesperson said he recently sold a car to someone living in Canada. They paid the Ohio taxes and then paid the Canadian taxes. He sounded like if the transaction was normal as everyday transactions.

The situation is similar in Canada, and I have my own experience with that.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6998 posts
1110 upvotes
Toronto
phd1969 wrote:Where would you get the temp plates? Just tell the Ministry that you plan on buying a car in the US and ask them to issue you a temp plate?
My assumption is that when you purchase the vehicle in the US that is where you'll arrange a temp permit. The temp US plate allows you to drive temporarly in the US.
Mar 8, 2005
265 posts
5 upvotes
aZnRYcEbOi wrote:Just wondering, who did you contact in order to confirm that?
when i moved to the states and brought the car over, you have to call up manufacturer to get what I believe is called a letter of compliance.. which basically would state things like any outstanding recalls and basically whether or not it is admissable to the states.. within the letter it states that manufacturers warranty is void when exporting.. not a big deal for me as the warranty was already up at that time, but something to look out for if you were to buy a new honda/acura
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
1109 posts
69 upvotes
I read your post.. as well as the riv website, but this is what i am unsure of:
I am looking at purchasing a 95 Honda Del Sol in the US. The vehicle has a bodykit, and extensive work done to it.. such as lambo doors, ect. He is asking $13000 US.
As far as the taxes, and $209 fee, and the $100 ac charge, i completely understand all of that. But my questionis.. with the vehicle being modified like that.. is it going to be allowed in?
I also know that once it is in canada, you have to take it to [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink] to get gauges changed, ect to comply with canadian safety issues... and then it needs an out of province inspection after. But my main concern is that they wont allow a modified vehicle in. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Chris
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
1109 posts
69 upvotes
I posted some pics of the car i am looking at in my other thread. If someone that can help can take a look and give a bit of advice that would be awesome.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2003
1361 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
good article from the star today..

[quote]American sticker shock$16,740 (U.S.) $22,510 (Cdn.)
We used to have it good in Canada, with some of the cheapest cars in the world. Not any more

Car prices don't reflect the strong Canadian dollar, and consumers are crossing the border to cash in
Jun. 17, 2006. 01:00 AM
MARK TOLJAGIC
SPECIAL TO THE STAR

For Mike Perry, it's like a recurring bad dream.

"People keep calling me up and saying, `C'mon Mike, sell me a car. We won't tell anybody,'" he recounts on the phone, his voice telegraphing his frustration.

"They want to buy a car so badly. But I have to turn them down every time. It would violate my franchise agreement."

As general manager of Ray Laks Acura in Williamsville, near Buffalo, N.Y., Perry was unaccustomed to turning away customers from his showroom
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2003
1361 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
continued

[quote]While it's not illegal to cross-border shop for a new vehicle
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2003
1361 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
continued
Big differences between similar models in Canada and the U.S.
Canadian and U.S. prices vary a great deal. Here are some comparisons, based on a Canadian dollar worth 90 cents (U.S.). Figures shown are taken this week from manufacturers' own websites for similar base models, and include freight and PDI in most cases.

Taxes are not included.

* Does not include freight and PDI

Acura MDX

Price in U.S.: $37,740

Equiv. in Cdn.: $41,933

Price in Canada: $53,030

Chevrolet Corvette

Price in U.S.: $44,490*

Equiv. in Cdn.: $49,433

Price in Canada: $67,805*

Ford Freestyle AWD/SEL

Price in U.S.: $28,030

Equiv. in Cdn.: 31,144

Price in Canada: $39,099

Honda S2000

Price in U.S.: $34,600

Equiv. in Cdn.: $38,444

Price in Canada: $51,755

Mazda6 Sportwagon GT

Price in U.S.: $27,720

Equiv. in Cdn.: $30,800

Price in Canada: $34,570

Porsche 911 Carrera

Price in U.S.: $71,300*

Equiv. in Cdn.: $79,222

Price in Canada: $104,300*

Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX

Price in U.S.: $25,620

Equiv. in Cdn.: $28,466

Price in Canada: $36,990

Toyota Prius

Price in U.S.: $22,305

Equiv. in Cdn.: $24,783

Price in Canada: $32,520

Volvo XC70 AWD

Price in U.S.: $37,305

Equiv. in Cdn.: $41,450

Price in Canada: $49,010

VW Passat wagon 3.6

Price in U.S.: $33,955

Equiv. in Cdn.: $37,728

Price in Canada: $47,650
Mar 26, 2012
3 posts
NORTH BAY
I am a Canada citizen and I snow bird in Florida for the cold months. I purchased motorcycle in Florida and have it insured in Florida. Can I bring it back to Canada with me and drive it there using the Florida plate and insurance and when the cold weather returns trailer it back to Florida. What are the regulations with Canadain customs with this issue?
Apr 5, 2012
1 posts
PICKERING
My daughter, a Canadian resident will be a sophmore (2nd year) at Syracuse University next year. She will be living in an apartment in Syracuse, New York for the next three school terms (August - May) returning to Ontario each summer. We have been looking at cars and I believe I can get a new 2012 Hyundai Elantra from a US Hyundai dealer for $2,000 less than here in Canada.
I will investigate based on other threads here to ensure this is a car that can eventually be imported back into Canada. Let's assume it can.
She holds a F1 Visa (student) and is permitted to stay in the US for the next three school terms. I therefore assume I will have no problem registering the car in her name and insuring it with a US insurance carrier for the next three years. If the car costs $20,000 and say in 3 years is worth $10,000 I assume we will have to pay 13% GST on the $10,000.

Based on anyone's knowledge do you see any issues with this plan.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)