None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
3720 posts
1072 upvotes
Ottawa

Bringing a used vehicle from QC to ON

I've been looking for a used vehicle for a few weeks and the choice locally is not good. Lack of supply seems to be pushing the price up of the few possibilities that have been listed by about 15%-20% higher than I would expect it to be.

Now, I see several examples of the vehicle I want listed close to the price I'm willing to pay in Montreal. What's the most pain free process for purchasing privately and bringing a vehicle back to ON. Any disadvantages buying in QC I might not be considering.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
1968 posts
477 upvotes
Woodbridge
If the car has been in an accident most times it's not reported to Carproof or Carfax as in QC they don't usually report to these companies, so a very detailed inspection is recommended. Besides that all you need to do is get a letter of clearance from the SAAQ and then in ON it's the same as usual to register the car, Safety and Emissions (if necessary) and you can get the car registered in ON.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
3720 posts
1072 upvotes
Ottawa
durrsak wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2013 10:06 am
If the car has been in an accident most times it's not reported to Carproof or Carfax as in QC they don't usually report to these companies
Yeah, I also read that they are more likely to be "clocked" coming from QC than anywhere else.
Dec 2, 2003
412 posts
11 upvotes
Ottawa
I would HIGHLY recommend buyer beware!!!

We had a family member in a VERY bad accident. I cannot overstate how bad the condition of the wreckage was -- it was not recognizable to say the least. However, 3 months later, while my family member was still in hospital from the accident, we got a call from a guy in Montreal inquiring about buying a car and wanted to get in touch with the previous owner to verify condition, etc. He ran the VIN, called us up and asked us about the car. He was speechless.

This is not an isolated event. The more you drive the 401 corridor east of Toronto, the more you notice flatbeds carting twisted wrecks to QC. They get rebuilt, don't show any indications on the title for the car and then sold to some unsuspecting sap.

I'm in Ottawa now and even with the proximity to the QC market, there is no <insert expletive here> I'll buy a car in QC.