• Aug 15th, 2017 9:40 am
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 25, 2011
153 posts
54 upvotes
Calgary, AB

Bringing your dog in a store

Does anyone have problems with bringing dogs into stores.

I forgot something for a BBQ so I ran into RCSS to grab something 30 seconds put my gf's dog in my backpack & told only service dogs. But, she was in a fully closed backpack that folds over at the top if u wanna put a dog in it so they could breathe... doesn't really make sense

I bring my dog into Walmart & put him in my cart & they smile at him... fully enclosed in a bag

I understand if he's walking around but inside a backpack that fully enclosed but the top... really
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5145 posts
657 upvotes
South of Ottawa
It doesn't matter if anyone has problems with it. It only matters what the store policy is. Not surprising that a grocery store does not allow pets.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3164 posts
1162 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
The only stores I ever take my dogs into are pet stores (PetSmart, etc) or Canadian Tire (which is dog friendly).
Apr 25, 2011
624 posts
212 upvotes
British Columbia
Chickinvic wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 2:52 pm
The only stores I ever take my dogs into are pet stores (PetSmart, etc) or Canadian Tire (which is dog friendly).
I think it depends on the Canadian Tire... I heard they're pet friendly and have taken my dogs in once before but I noticed there is a no dog sign outside the storefront so haven't bothered to take them back again.

I only take my dogs inside pet stores.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4360 posts
206 upvotes
Any store selling food is considered a food premise and pets aren't allowed inside, except for service animals. I'm surprised that you're surprised ;)
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3164 posts
1162 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Karala wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 5:30 pm
I think it depends on the Canadian Tire... I heard they're pet friendly and have taken my dogs in once before but I noticed there is a no dog sign outside the storefront so haven't bothered to take them back again.

I only take my dogs inside pet stores.
The ones in Victoria allowed dogs, and we would sometimes bring ours in there. I admit I haven't tried at the ones in Ottawa (we've been here a few years now). I haven't noticed if they have a sign. Since moving here we have only brought ours into pet stores also.
Jun 19, 2017
156 posts
82 upvotes
Corneliuss wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 11:20 pm
Does anyone have problems with bringing dogs into stores.

I forgot something for a BBQ so I ran into RCSS to grab something 30 seconds put my gf's dog in my backpack & told only service dogs. But, she was in a fully closed backpack that folds over at the top if u wanna put a dog in it so they could breathe... doesn't really make sense

I bring my dog into Walmart & put him in my cart & they smile at him... fully enclosed in a bag

I understand if he's walking around but inside a backpack that fully enclosed but the top... really
You can't bring a dog in a grocery store period. This is common sense.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2526 posts
366 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Corneliuss wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 11:20 pm
But, she was in a fully closed backpack that folds over at the top if u wanna put a dog in it so they could breathe... doesn't really make sense
Lets say some hypothetical store made a rule that dogs were only allowed if inside fully enclosed containers/carriers.
How long until some owner decides to unzip their carrier, just for a moment, to talk to their dog and it jumps out? Now there's a dog in the store. It would be a bad exception to make and would just lead to headaches.